Death of the CD

I ran into some of those smelly hipster people at the farmer's market a while back. They tried to jump in front of me in the line to buy eggs.

I read somewhere the other day that Dinosaur Jr is re-releasing some of their albums on cassette.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought on amazon.com the cassette of R.E.M. ~ New Adventures in Hi Fi. Apparently the Vinyl edition of this is out of print, so the cassette was the other memorabilia I could own, I could afford, of that album, which happens to be a masterpiece of the Warner era.

Most of the cassettes available today are remaining (surviving) stock of the pre-CD and the early CD era, there's actually very little manufacturing of "new" cassettes.

Also, I think that manufacturers can charge a premium on cassettes (just like they do on vinyl products) since they are aimed at a collector's market rather than the general population who is more likely to just buy a CD they can easily play everywhere. On the other hand, cassettes and especially vinyl, need a dedicated area/space of listening and have little mobility -the walkman being an exception.

I was going to say earlier - the Walkman/Discman is longer made. Is that correct? OR what we use to call jamboxes/ghetto blasters.

I did a search on Amazon a while back for a tape deck. About the only thing that came up was a cheapy model that was set-up to hook up to a computer - in order to make Mp3 files from tapes.

All this talk of tapes takes me back to the days when my mullet was thicker and healthier.

The ability that the internet provides to be instantly gratified has ruined endire sectors of the Communication Media: Print and Music delivery are on their death beds while movies and Television have the sniffles...

Takes me back to the same time and also more hair, and a lot less grey.. If you want a tape player, visit your local Salvation Army store or other thrift store, they carry lots of them along with speakers, etc. As far as the death of CDs, I just recieved a very nice copy brand new copy of a reissued Julius Hemphill LP that is long out of print and never been reissued on CD until now. It got a great review for its sound and packaging in the NY Times. CDs ain't dead. They may be injured, but clearly the market for hardcopy digital is not yet over.

LouieB

I have two CD books in my car that will never leave. One is a mix of everything I listen to, and the other is full of live recordings by Uncle Tupelo, Wilco and Jeff Tweedy. I love them both.

Awesome!

I was going to say earlier - the Walkman/Discman is longer made. Is that correct? OR what we use to call jamboxes/ghetto blasters.

I did a search on Amazon a while back for a tape deck. About the only thing that came up was a cheapy model that was set-up to hook up to a computer - in order to make Mp3 files from tapes.

All this talk of tapes takes me back to the days when my mullet was thicker and healthier.

so you still have a mullet?

I hadn't listened to radio for probably 20 years or so.

Then I got a new car a couple of years ago that came with a free trial of satellite radio. Wow, I fell in love with it.

I've found a lot of really great new music on satellite radio - mostly on the two channels SiriusXM U and The Loft.

And some of the oldies stations pull out stuff I never thought I'd ever hear anywhere other than my own record collection.

I've found a lot of really great new music on satellite radio - mostly on the two channels SiriusXM U and The Loft.

Two great channels. XMU can get a little electronic-y for my tastes, but a great way to find current bands. The Loft is a perfect blend of new and old.

I have a radio that looks like an early 60s transistor radio that I use at work from time to time. Too bad A.M. seems to be more about shit like Huey Lewis and Hall and Oates than pre-80s oldies these days.

we've got a fun local AM station that plays everything from Dylan to Opera. Pretty fun, if you're in the mood.