Wilco @ State Theatre, Minneapolis, MN 12/7/11

Question… Do you believe that as a male over the age of 40, you had any chance of getting into the first 2 rows for either show? The answer is no! They have people walk around before the “support” act goes on and take people from the balcony and give them “upgrades” to the first 2 rows. Tuesday night, on one side of the stage, it was a bunch of girls in their 20’s with the other side being people that Tweedy actually had to make fun of because they were sitting for most of the show. Wednesday night it was people that didn’t even know the band (more than half of them never sang a word) and a little kid. When I met the upgrade guy on Wednesday and asked for an upgrade he lead me to believe that he is required to look for young (20’s) girls or couples.

IThanks for letting me get this off my chest.

I was lucky enough to be in Row 4 (center) so I had no need for an uprade. I will say I had zero problem with moving the kid to the front row, he was into the show as much as any fan I've seen and recognized even the older tracks. I thought it was pretty cool.

Here is my review of Wednesday nights show that I posted on my blog.

Twitter: @Subtle_Sounds

Before Wilco took the stage on Wednesday night at the State Theatre you could feel the energy in the chatty crowd. We were all ready for one more night of Wilco. As it turns out, the band was ready for us as well, but then again, when aren't they? Wilco delivered a career spanning set that carried a littler more variety and energy than the night before.

As Tweedy quietly strummed the opening chords to "Less Than You Think," I thought to myself, wow, this is going to be a good night. It was only the fourth time the song had been played since 2008. That's about as big of a Wilco bustout as you will get these days. Around the three minute mark, Tweedy abandoned his acoustic and took to his pedal board and the band entered an all out feedback jam that lasted roughly four minutes and eventually faded into "Art of Almost."

After resurrecting "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" from it's setlist hiatus, the band continued the no repeat theme with versions of "One Wing" and the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot favorite Kamera."

It's been very evident over the last three shows that Wilco is playing on another planet and maybe even in a different universe. This incarnation of Wilco has a special chemistry that few bands achieve and it was on full display during "At Least That's What You Said." After a ferocious guitar solo from Jeff Tweedy and a Nels Cline freakout solo, the band came together without any communication to bring the song to a close.

For me, the two-night run was complete when "Via Chicago" was performed. It is by far my favorite Wilco tune and to me is the quintessential Wilco song. Before closing the set with "Hummingbird," the always raucous " A Shot in the Arm" saw Mikael Jorgensen pounding his keyboard with a towel while Nels threw himself like around like rag doll all the while Jeff Tweedy smiled strummed his guitar ever so softly.

"We really love Minneapolis" exclaimed Tweedy one song into the bands seven song encore before the drum machine started up "Heavy Metal Drummer." The bluesy "Walken" saw Nels Cline dwarf his mini lap-steel guitar, but still play it with the same gusto as his battered Fender Jazzmaster.

The Twin Cities are rich with Wilco history. The bands second ever show took place at 7th Street Entry on November 21, 1994 in Minneapolis and the band has performed here countless times over the years. Over the course of the two nights, Jeff Tweedy and company added another chapter to their storied history in their home away from home.

A commenter on the StarTribune website said she and her kid were upgraded from the balcony to the main floor because the the projector system took up their seats in the balcony. Maybe this this was the kid you saw? Perhaps the upgrades extended a bit beyond people who where displaced by the projector, but I have a hard time believing the band would pander to people based solely upon their age and/or physical appearance.

That was us and we got upgraded to Row J, Section 2 Tuesday night. I was in the 2nd row pit on Wednesday night and got those during the pre-sale. The people that sat around us were all coupled up, in their 30's and it wasn't their first show. However, they were pretty subdued and didn't sing along or dance as much as I would have liked. I probably looked like a freak next to them but i was too busy singing and dancing to care lol! I agree, though, that being in a venue like that where you are so close to the band and it sounds sooooo good, the seats should be filled with fans who own 15+ shirts, wear them on a daily basis, appreciate that they are in coveted seats and can't help but dance and sing along at the top of their lungs because it's soooo amazing and so much fun. Jeff did acknowledge my white Solid Sound shirt, though, and gave me a pleasantly amused grin as Nels was tearing apart "Impossible Germany" - I think he liked the look of pure joy on my face. I'm just going to continue to believe they appreciate us :)

The boy in the front row won those tickets somewhere and took his mom (he's 9, I believe). I talked to them after the show and he had a blast, as did my son the night before! She said they go to local concerts quite often, but this was his first Wilco experience. I couldn't see them from my seat so I thought Jeff was talking to the younger woman in the purple dress on the end - the one who stood with her hands at her side and swayed a little bit here and there.

Maybe it was the seats, maybe it was the fact that I didn't have to keep my son from falling off the seat he was standing on (the balcony would have been better for him) but I thought Wednesday was the better night. I did like how the paper described it as one really long show, though. Together, that was a top notch Wilco set and I'm still feeling the post-show high!

Honestly, it sounds like you're the one not having as much fun with it anymore. Here's what I think: you've been to an ass-ton of Wilco shows, you feel entitled to be treated better than people who haven't seen them before or aren't as big a fan as you. OK. But the problem is, Wilco does try to cater to fans like you (and me).

Isn't this what Solid Sound is for? A chance to rub shoulders with the band and hear sets that only a field full of superfans could appreciate? To me, SSF is a gift from Wilco with love. And I don't care how far I have to drive to accept it with sincere gratitude.

The "Upgrade Guy" was part of the tour. Maybe some manager type told him how to work it, but as I see it, the manager is part of the band. It was NOT the venue. Stan at the sound board even pointed the guy out for me and said I should ask.

Don't worry... I'm already getting over it and in some ways I understand it. It would be really cool to be in the upper balcony and get upgraded. The thing is... I think the die-hards (the long time followers, ardent fans etc...) will always try to get as close as possible (MF2 row 16 was available the day of the show through Ticketmaster) BUT will NEVER have the opportunity to get into the first 2 rows (at least at this venue).

Maybe, as Jeff said (see... it seems like I think I know him... I'm way too into this band), with the core fans getting older he needs to get younger fans so that is who they (or at least tour management) are pandering to.

EDIT: Just saw cheezetastic post. Nvmd. I won't cry for you, rustin. Bahahaha!

Side note: I'm new here, and am looking for some tapings of recent shows. I'm looking for mp3, and I found only FLAC files on the owl site. Can anyone point me to a source, or does someone have a link for 12/7? Thanks!

I would just like to say that I fee rustinmaz's pain. I get frustrated by the ticketing process. I've been skunked many times by the online system. It really sucks, but I don't know what can be done about it. I generally buy better tickets from brokers. It stinks that I have to do that, and I would rather not support the stubhubs of the world, but at least I get to see the show in a decent seat. After seeing the band from the back of the uic auditorium with people getting up for beers every 5minutes and talking through the show I will not travel ( I brought my family of 4 from Colorado) to a show without a good seat. It has cut down in the number of shows I attend. I'm looking forward to the January show in Denver--it's general admission. That way if I don't get a good spot I have only myself to blame.

Side note: I'm new here, and am looking for some tapings of recent shows. I'm looking for mp3, and I found only FLAC files on the owl site. Can anyone point me to a source, or does someone have a link for 12/7? Thanks!

Why not just downlad the Flac files from O&B and convert them to MP3?

I know a lot of purists would scream about doing that, but I don't convert them to share, just so I can listen to them on my MP3 player.

There are a lot of Flac conversion programs out there. I use dBpowerAMP Music Converter (costs about $40), but if you go to CNET and search under Rippers & Converting Software, I know you can find some freeware or shareware programs to use.

Owl & Bear is just too much of a treasure trove to pass up just because of a file format diffrence.

Why not just downlad the Flac files from O&B and convert them to MP3?

I know a lot of purists would scream about doing that, but I don't convert them to share, just so I can listen to them on my MP3 player.

There are a lot of Flac conversion programs out there. I use dBpowerAMP Music Converter (costs about $40), but if you go to CNET and search under Rippers & Converting Software, I know you can find some freeware or shareware programs to use.

Owl & Bear is just too much of a treasure trove to pass up just because of a file format diffrence.

Get Exact Audio Copy or Foobar 2000 if you are on Windows. XLD works a charm on Mac. All of those are free!

Thanks, guys. I'm just a lazy, lazy guy, heh heh.

It is a very simple process, especially if you have a Mac and d/l xACT. It will convert FLAC directly to mp3s.

If you do it, think of it like the "pay it forward" principle. If you do it and then share the mp3 version others can benefit. Just like the tapers who "pay it forward" by taping the show and sharing their FLACs with us.