Wilco @ State Theatre, Minneapolis, MN 12/7/11

Wow! Night two definitely took the cake for best show of the two night run. Lots of great songs tonight including Via Chicago, One Wing, Less Than You Think and Can't Stand It. Let's take a look at the setlist.

Wilco

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

State Theatre

Minneapolis, MN

Set:

Less Than you Think >

Art of Almost

I Might

Radio Cure

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart >

One Wing

Kamera

Born Alone

At Least That's What You Said

Rising Red Lung

Impossible Germany

Should've Been Ashamed

Forget The Flowers

Capitol City

Via Chicago

Can't Stand It

Dawned On Me

A Shot in the Arm

Hummingbird

Encore:

Whole Love

Heavy Metal Drummer

Walken

The Late Greats

Standing O

I'm A Wheel

Encore 2: Cruel to Be Kind^

Notes: ^ - w/ NIck Lowe

One non-musical gripe: I was pretty disappointed with the show posters for both nights. 30% of the art was taken up by a representation of a window frame, and there was no clever/colorful integration of "Wilco". Just kind a muted design on both nights that were almost identical to one another.

Although I saw two great shows… I think that Tuesday was the better one… I have this feeling of frustration, disappointment and betrayal… The 15 year love affair is over... for now, and I feel like a little girl who’s boyfriend just broke up with her.

Question… Do you believe that as a male over the age of 40, you had any chance of getting into the first 2 rows for either show? The answer is no! They have people walk around before the “support” act goes on and take people from the balcony and give them “upgrades” to the first 2 rows. Tuesday night, on one side of the stage, it was a bunch of girls in their 20’s with the other side being people that Tweedy actually had to make fun of because they were sitting for most of the show. Wednesday night it was people that didn’t even know the band (more than half of them never sang a word) and a little kid. When I met the upgrade guy on Wednesday and asked for an upgrade he lead me to believe that he is required to look for young (20’s) girls or couples.

I think this is so wrong; especially from a band that would let you believe that they try to give everyone an equal shot at getting the tickets. They don’t!

Anyway… it was good. I heard a total of 53 songs over the two nights and, outside of the new album they only repeated 2 songs (Heavy Metal Drummer - not a favorite and Impossible Germany - one of their best). Over the 2 nights I heard 10 of the 12 tracks off the new album and 34 other back catalog songs from all of their albums (AM-3, Being There-6, Summer Teeth-4, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot-9, Ghost Is Born-7, Sky Blue Sky-3 and Wilco(The Album)-2).

If I had no history with the band, or never got up close, or didn’t know that they give the first 2 rows to twentysomethings, I would have thought they were great shows, but… I guess my expectations are too high. Also made me think that I am way too into them.

I guess the worst part is I see them slowing down and there isn’t that raw “we’re really having fun with this” that there used to be. I guess I better stop living in the past? They have grown and now make art rather than fun; but still great music! Plus... they have to do it every night while I only see them 3 to 4 time a year.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Although I saw two great shows… I think that Tuesday was the better one… I have this feeling of frustration, disappointment and betrayal… The 15 year love affair is over... for now, and I feel like a little girl who’s boyfriend just broke up with her.

Question… Do you believe that as a male over the age of 40, you had any chance of getting into the first 2 rows for either show? The answer is no! They have people walk around before the “support” act goes on and take people from the balcony and give them “upgrades” to the first 2 rows. Tuesday night, on one side of the stage, it was a bunch of girls in their 20’s with the other side being people that Tweedy actually had to make fun of because they were sitting for most of the show. Wednesday night it was people that didn’t even know the band (more than half of them never sang a word) and a little kid. When I met the upgrade guy on Wednesday and asked for an upgrade he lead me to believe that he is required to look for young (20’s) girls or couples.

I think this is so wrong; especially from a band that would let you believe that they try to give everyone an equal shot at getting the tickets. They don’t!

Anyway… it was good. I heard a total of 53 songs over the two nights and, outside of the new album they only repeated 2 songs (Heavy Metal Drummer - not a favorite and Impossible Germany - one of their best). Over the 2 nights I heard 10 of the 12 tracks off the new album and 34 other back catalog songs from all of their albums (AM-3, Being There-6, Summer Teeth-4, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot-9, Ghost Is Born-7, Sky Blue Sky-3 and Wilco(The Album)-2).

If I had no history with the band, or never got up close, or didn’t know that they give the first 2 rows to twentysomethings, I would have thought they were great shows, but… I guess my expectations are too high. Also made me think that I am way too into them.

I guess the worst part is I see them slowing down and there isn’t that raw “we’re really having fun with this” that there used to be. I guess I better stop living in the past? They have grown and now make art rather than fun; but still great music! Plus... they have to do it every night while I only see them 3 to 4 time a year.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

The band I saw four days earlier looked like they were having the time of their life. The show was full of plenty of rockers and was very high-energy. I took two first-timers: one who's been a fan for a few years and one who didn't know a note of their music. Both commented on how much energy was coming from the stage and that the band looked like they were really into it. I felt nothing close to frustration, disappointment or betrayal from Wilco for the show they put on.

Did we see the same band?

One non-musical gripe: I was pretty disappointed with the show posters for both nights. 30% of the art was taken up by a representation of a window frame, and there was no clever/colorful integration of "Wilco". Just kind a muted design on both nights that were almost identical to one another.

I like both of those posters a lot...especially the one for the second night.

What gave you the impression the band had anything to do with this?

The "Upgrade Guy" was part of the tour. Maybe some manager type told him how to work it, but as I see it, the manager is part of the band. It was NOT the venue. Stan at the sound board even pointed the guy out for me and said I should ask.

Don't worry... I'm already getting over it and in some ways I understand it. It would be really cool to be in the upper balcony and get upgraded. The thing is... I think the die-hards (the long time followers, ardent fans etc...) will always try to get as close as possible (MF2 row 16 was available the day of the show through Ticketmaster) BUT will NEVER have the opportunity to get into the first 2 rows (at least at this venue).

Maybe, as Jeff said (see... it seems like I think I know him... I'm way too into this band), with the core fans getting older he needs to get younger fans so that is who they (or at least tour management) are pandering to.

A commenter on the StarTribune website said she and her kid were upgraded from the balcony to the main floor because the the projector system took up their seats in the balcony. Maybe this this was the kid you saw? Perhaps the upgrades extended a bit beyond people who where displaced by the projector, but I have a hard time believing the band would pander to people based solely upon their age and/or physical appearance.

There were issues in Kansas City with an individual representing the venue running a quick scheme to get people inside, a free drink at the bar, and eventually, in the front row -- while others continued to wait outdoors. Essentially people who were in line outside the venue early were prevented from getting up close unless they paid an extra $5.

Many of those who came early were either underage or had underage people in their group and couldn't come inside. And then security barred people from coming to close to the stage, saying that those up front were people who purchased VIP tickets. There were no VIP tickets.

The band caught wind of the situation and Jeff commented on it from the stage, saying that it's nothing they endorsed nor approve of, and apologized to the people who were caught up in it.

What you're describing sounds like something from a Poison concert in the 1980s, having a band representative comb the crowd for young hotties. I'm pretty sure this isn't what's happening with Wilco. Many of the die-hards I know chose to purchase balcony seats so they could enjoy the show from their preferred vantage point and not deal with some of the sh*t that happens on the floor.

In my view, I think the last thing on Wilco's mind is "pandering" to a younger crowd.

It happened, and it had nothing to do with projectors (except maybe that one incidence). It was the band or their management. I'm do not believe that it was to get "hotties" up front. More like a better chance of a younger crowd getting into it. A sitting first 2 rows can ruin a night for the entire venue. I understand the logic but not the practice. Auction the things off for charity,

Like I said. I'm way too into the band and need to take a step back. You can even see the back of my head in the ITTBYH Documentary. I'll bet that there were at least 100 people that I personally turned on to Wilco over the years at the shows the last 2 nights. Maybe a giant step back?

04 Jul 1996 / Chicago, IL / Petrillo Band Shell, Grant Park

22 Oct 1996 / Chicago, IL / Lounge Ax

29 Oct 1997 / Minneapolis, MN / First Avenue

30 Oct 1997 / Minneapolis, MN / First Avenue

29 Oct 1999 / Minneapolis, MN / First Avenue

30 Oct 1999 / Minneapolis, MN / First Avenue

17 Nov 2000 / Minneapolis, MN / First Avenue

18 Nov 2000 / Minneapolis, MN / First Avenue

29 Jun 2001 / Minneapolis, MN / First Avenue

30 Jun 2001 / Minneapolis, MN / First Avenue

30 Jul 2002 / Minneapolis, MN / The Orpheum Theatre

13 Jun 2003 / Minneapolis, MN / Walker Arts Center

25 Oct 2004 / Minneapolis, MN / The Orpheum Theatre

26 Oct 2004 / Minneapolis, MN / The Orpheum Theatre

30 Oct 2004 / Chicago, IL / Auditorium Theatre

02 Jul 2006 / Duluth, MN / DECC

10 Oct 2007 / Minneapolis, MN / Northrop Auditorium

02 Oct 2009 / St. Paul, MN / Roy Wilkins Auditorium

19 Feb 2010 / Duluth, MN / DECC

06 Dec 2011 / Minneapolis, MN / The State Theatre

07 Dec 2011 / Minneapolis, MN / The State Theatre

There is also a Tweedy solo at the Guthrie in there somewhere.

I have a hard time believing it was the band's doing. They don't do thing like that. I do believe they upgraded the people when the projector was taking up their seats. That I believe.

I don't believe they're taking $5 extra for early admit. No way.

Something's not right here, rustinmaz. You've been "way too into the band and need to take a step back" yet this is the first time you're posting here and this is what you are posting. Sorry but I'm suspicious of your motives.

The $5 bar early entry thing in Kansas City was something creepy done by the venue--the band had absolutely nothing to do with it--and that's why I think Jeff felt compelled to say something about it.

The upgrading of people by representatives of the band is something I've only ever heard of happening once or twice at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago a long time ago when a few people who were sitting in the last row of the upper-most balcony got a nice surprise.

But it's not something that happens often, so while I can believe it might happen, I'm still a bit dubious that what's being described at the State Theater by rustinmaz was actually being carried out by representatives of the band. I seriously, seriously doubt it. Even if it did happen, I just can't imagine that it would be happening en masse to the point where entire rows or sections were made up of people being "upgraded." And I can virtually guarantee that the band would not be picking people based on their appearance or age or whatnot. That just doesn't make any sense.

And to rustinmaz, listing all of the shows you've gone to is all well and good and even interesting to a point, but it doesn't really do a thing for your credibility--at least as far as I'm concerned.

Question… Do you believe that as a male over the age of 40, you had any chance of getting into the first 2 rows for either show? The answer is no!

I sat in the 3rd row on Tuesday, right behind the pit. There were plenty of older people on stage left, and at least one of them was a man. Therefore, you had a chance. It sounds like you're just mad it wasn't you.

When I met the upgrade guy on Wednesday and asked for an upgrade he lead me to believe that he is required to look for young (20’s) girls or couples.

He "lead you to believe". I see. But he didn't actually say that, now did he? Again, it sounds like you're just mad that you weren't picked and happened to see some young girls that did get picked.

If I had no history with the band, or never got up close...

i.e. "I deserve it more than anyone who hasn't been to 20 shows! This is despite the fact that I've already had great seats while most other people haven't! I MUST ALWAYS HAVE THE BEST SEATS!"

or didn’t know that they give the first 2 rows to twentysomethings...

Again, this did not happen, as evidenced by the older people sitting/standing in front of me on Tuesday...

I would have thought they were great shows, but… I guess my expectations are too high. Also made me think that I am way too into them.

Wait...you said above they were great shows! Wait, hold on, here it is:

Although I saw two great shows…

what you're really saying: "I've been to 20 shows! I deserve the special treatment! Where I sit now matters more to me than the performance on stage."

I guess the worst part is I see them slowing down and there isn’t that raw “we’re really having fun with this” that there used to be.

Honestly, it sounds like you're the one not having as much fun with it anymore. Here's what I think: you've been to an ass-ton of Wilco shows, you feel entitled to be treated better than people who haven't seen them before or aren't as big a fan as you. OK. But the problem is, Wilco does try to cater to fans like you (and me). They have pre-sales for the fans. I got the 3rd row seats that way. A buddy of mine got 6th row seats. Some serious fans were around me. You just got unlucky. It happens. Don't take it out on the band, and certainly don't come in here with this bullshit that the shows aren't as "energetic" or "fun filled" or whatever characteristics you can invent to give yourself a slap on the back for, "like, totally being there when they were awesome, man. Those were the days!"

I guess I better stop living in the past?

"When you wake up, feeeeeelin' old..."

For what it's worth, sometimes I look up Wilco on tumblr, and found a post from someone who got moved up to the front:

a man who worked there came up to us and was like “Are you two pretty big Wilco fans?” and we were like “Uhm, YES!” and he was like “Well Would it be okay if I moved you up to the first row as long as you guys are excited and help get the band pumped up so they play an amazing show for us?!” and we were like “YES!” annnnnd so we ended up in THE FRONT F****NG ROW FOR THE WHOLE SHOW.

It happened, and it had nothing to do with projectors (except maybe that one incidence). It was the band or their management. I'm do not believe that it was to get "hotties" up front. More like a better chance of a younger crowd getting into it. A sitting first 2 rows can ruin a night for the entire venue. I understand the logic but not the practice. Auction the things off for charity,

To slightly amend my previous post:

Apparently what happened was there was an extra row of seats in the pit that wasn't anticipated when they ticketed the show, so the band and show organizers decided to use the opportunity to do a nice thing like upgrading people who had obstructed views or were seated in the back of the balcony. So one of the band's crew members was sent out to distribute these "upgraded" tickets. It does happen on rare occasions, as I mentioned. But I stand by what I wrote earlier about people not being picked based on their appearance or gender or age.

And as for rustinmaz, he might not have gotten into the first two rows but apparently his seat wasn't all that bad--at least for one of the shows. After he came back to the soundboard to inquire/complain about the upgrades, someone spotted him returning to his seat...in the fifth row (or thereabouts.) Makes sense, since he mentioned seeing "upgraded" people who remained sitting or who weren't singing along. He must have been close enough to be able to see all of that, so don't cry too much for him. :cryin

To slightly amend my previous post:

Apparently what happened was there was an extra row of seats in the pit that wasn't anticipated when they ticketed the show, so the band and show organizers decided to use the opportunity to do a nice thing like upgrading people who had obstructed views or were seated in the back of the balcony. So one of the band's crew members was sent out to distribute these "upgraded" tickets. It does happen on rare occasions, as I mentioned. But I stand by what I wrote earlier about people not being picked based on their appearance or gender or age.

now that's awesome. see, that's the band & venue being really cool instead of just allowing there to be empty space. knowing that it was a band-sanctioned idea should let the folks who are steamed about it feel better? maybe?

having obstructed view seats can be a bit of a bummer (had them for Nashville night 1), but if you just resign yourself to the fact that you can still hear everything just fine, it's okay. guess it depends on viewpoint.

though, when i came across that tumblr post from that kid, it was really sweet because they were so excited about being upgraded.

as long as it wasn't sleazy it's awesome.

You're all right.

I was mad that I wasn't given the opportunity. I had great seats for night one (row 5 as cheese man says) and so so seats night 2 (row 8 but all the way to the left). Row 5 came through the pre-sale and row 8 came last Thursday after checking in with various sites a few times a day for 2 months and all I had to pay was the ticketmaster fees.

The exact quote from upgrade man was "I'm sorry I can't... I'm supposed to give them to... I'm sorry I just can't". It could mean a million things... I read into it.

As for energy... no one is better than Nels when he gets into a zone, I love Pat's windmills and Glen standing on his kit at the start of HMD is something. I just don't see John smiling anymore and Jeff looks too pained. There's still a lot of energy there.

As for ulterior motives... There's so much less to this than you think...

See ya next time....

I heartily admit that i am piling on after an apology but you had seats in row 5 and row 8 but asked for an upgrade? Jaysus H., that tells me all that I need to know.

I have a hard time believing it was the band's doing. They don't do thing like that. I do believe they upgraded the people when the projector was taking up their seats. That I believe.

I don't think you understood what I said -- that the venue, not the band, was taking an extra $5 for early entry.