I enjoy reading about everyone's pets, and what cute pictures there are here!

We got two red ear slider turtles the other day and they've been loads of entertainment. Very pretty markings too, on their shells and heads. The kids are very good with them, making sure they are fed and handling them gently. I'm raising zoologists, I think!

It's surprising how lively they are. I was expecting turtles to just sit there and, when they did bother to move, to move at a snail's pace, like a tortoise. On the occasions we take them out of the tank, though, they can scoot along, surprisingly spry. Also, I wasn't expecting to see any personality in turtles, but already we can tell little characteristics in each one, such as one is more active and curious than the other.

I've also decided that a shell would be pretty nice to have now and then. There are times when I'd like to curl up in one for a few moments myself.

Our first dog was a whippet/lab cross. She was a great running partner and lived to be 15. We recently adopted a 2.5 year old beagle cross from Beagle Paws Rescue.

Adopting a pet is wonderful! My mother-in-law got her dog from our local shelter, and he's been the best companion she could ask for. That reminds me that I ought to get back into the habit of donating to my local shelter like I used to regularly.

Wow, what a contrast! I'll have to post pictures of our 3 kittens...well, at 10 months I guess they are officially cats now...who are littermates. They each look so different from each other that you'd never guess they were sisters! Amazing how the genes can mix!

Every one of those pups is adorable. Your pair have heart-melting doggie eyes. I'll bet they can talk you into giving treats anytime!

Three parakeets. Low maintanence and good for kids, although I don't have any "kids" anymore I still have the birds. They die though, but if you take good care of them (feed low fat food) they live a pretty long time.

LouieB

Wow, what a contrast! I'll have to post pictures of our 3 kittens...well, at 10 months I guess they are officially cats now...who are littermates. They each look so different from each other that you'd never guess they were sisters! Amazing how the genes can mix!

Every one of those pups is adorable. Your pair have heart-melting doggie eyes. I'll bet they can talk you into giving treats anytime!

I can't stay mad at them long when they misbehave. I'm such a pushover.

• 2 months later...

There's nothing sadder than having to put a cone on your dog. Our chocolate lab needed it at one point because he kept licking his foot raw. He was so depressed with that thing on, and since he's so big, he kept running into things with it.

Abbey and Sarge were spayed and neutered on Monday. Abbey also had SEVEN deciduous (baby) teeth extracted that hadn't yet fallen out, and the adult teeth were growing on top of them, throwing her bite alignment all out of whack. As if wearing the cone of shame weren't bad enough, they're both in a haze of doggy painkillers and anti-inflammatory meds. This makes for plenty of those endearingly awkward moments when we're laughing at them as they collide with the cupboards...

there's a cone called "comfy cone" that we found which is softer than the hard white plastic (as the name implies). It's less jarring when they run into stuff, and seems tolerable for sleeping. never tried it personally, but it works for our Cocker Spaniel.