M. Ward - A Wasteland Companion (April 10th)

:dancing

M. Ward Announces New Solo Album

After spending the past few years collaborating with Zooey Deschanel in She & Him and Conor Oberst, Jim James, and Mike Mogis in Monsters of Folk, M. Ward is back to his solo career. New album A Wasteland Companion, the follow-up to 2009's Hold Time, will be released on Merge on April 10.

Guests on the album include Deschanel, Mogis, Steve Shelley of Sonic Youth, Howe Gelb of Giant Sand, PJ Harvey collaborator John Parish, and more.

As reported, Ward will tour this spring with the reunited fIREHOSE and Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo opening.

tracklist:

A Wasteland Companion:

01 Clean Slate (For Alex & El Goodo)

02 Primitive Girl

03 Me and My Shadow

04 Sweetheart

05 I Get Ideas

06 The First Time I Ran Away

07 A Wasteland Companion

08 Watch the Show

09 There's a Key

10 Crawl After You

11 Wild Goose

12 Pure Joy

Howe Gelb!?! Niiiiiiiice.

Looking forward to this. I haven't been let down by M.Ward so far, not that I spend a great deal of time listening to him at this point, but I always like it when he comes up on the mix..

Love M.Ward and good to see him back focused on his own records. I liked 'Hold Time' but never really fell in love with it as much as I thought I would. 'Transistor Radio' is a beautiful record though.

I Love Post-War. I have all his albums but that one is by far my favorite.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well how is everyone taking the new record? I can't say that anything is real departure from previous albums....but then again that is fine with me. Not sure I needed another duet with ZD. Unless they want to make a video with her running around in her underwear!

Well how is everyone taking the new record? I can't say that anything is real departure from previous albums....but then again that is fine with me. Not sure I needed another duet with ZD. Unless they want to make a video with her running around in her underwear!

If I'm being honest I'm not keen on this one at all. Production very similar to the previous two but just doesn't have the songs. Might grow on me. I think the ZD collaborations have had a negative impact on this record.

The Conan performance of Primitive Girl was really good.

http://stereogum.com/998172/watch-m-ward-on-conan/video/

I've been diggin The First Time I Ran Away a lot also.

I haven't caught the part where Howe is on the record. I'll have to pay more attention for that. I love him too.

I'm not a fan of his collaboration with Zooey but he seems super happy on this record.

only had a few listens to it so far and i like it and yes not much a departure from records past but thats ok with it. Gonna miss him perform in Madison, so disappointed about that. liked the band on Conan, i was happy to see Chris Scruggs playing guitar with him, wondered where he has been.

Like the new record! Love the title track and how it takes a turn off into an instrumental. Has anyone else ever had a cymbal solo on their record? Let alone, two? Hahaha

Time to find a new muse though.... ZD has run her course.

Only complaint would be that the record has no consistency. Whereas all his other releases flow quite well. This one can't seem to find it's identity. It's up, it's down. I find myself skipping Primitive Girl and the ZD tracks for the lush, slower songs. I swear the man has seven fingers on each hand....