• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article on this matter.

And Rosa Parks knew that African Americans were supposed to sit on the back of buses too.

Okay fine. So it isn't quite the same thing. Maybe this woman is grinding an axe that she shouldn't be grinding at Georgetown, but Rush's lambasting her was pretty over the top don't you think?

LouieB

Of course. I don't think anyone is defending Rush. But the main issue has been clouded by the ravings of a radio blowhard who is not taken seriously anymore by most people.

EDIT: I don't know what your Rosa Parks line means.

from that article...

Yes, birth-control pills can be prescribed to address medical problems, though that's relatively rare and the Catholic Church has no quarrel with their use in this circumstance. And the university's insurance covers prescriptions in these cases.

Fluke was specificly testifying about this issue (telling the story of another law student) and said that they were not covered by Georgetown - so either Fluke or the author of that article is incorrect.

But regardless of what you think about the underlying debate, what Limbaugh said was clearly over the top and revolting. It's not the first time he's said something as stupid as this, but thankfully it looks like this will be the first time he'll suffer some serious consequences.

Amazing that he didn't realize that calling 99% of women in the US (the % who have used some form of contraception in their life) "sluts" and "prostitutes" was going to be a problem for him.

He'll suffer some at first, but he'll ultimately draw more and attract different advertisers to fill the holes. Every time something like this comes up, I'm reminded he still has a radio show, which is his end goal.

EDIT: I don't know what your Rosa Parks line means.

Well if you don't know who Rosa Parks is maybe you can go to Wikipedia. Needless to say Rosa Parks also knew she was protesting against the prevailing opinion of her culture and chose to do what she did anyway. Like I said, maybe it isnt exactly the same, but taking a stand is what both did.

LouieB

But the main issue has been clouded by the ravings of a radio blowhard who is not taken seriously anymore by most people.

The man signed a $200 M (makes over $50 M/yr) contract in 2008 because he is taken seriously by a very large market. They are out there and support him in most of what he says, too.

See...I didn't think you would actually compare what Rosa Parks did to someone who wants her school to pay for her birth control pills. Apparently, I was mistaken.

Yea, and Rosa Parks didn't HAVE to sit in the front of the bus either. I am certainly not thinking these things are equal. However expressing ones opinion about what they think are their rights certainly doesn't seem that outrageous. Plenty of women do feel that they have a right to have their health insurance cover their health care needs.

LouieB

bleedorange i dont understand why conservatives dont want to cover contraceptives.

you guys want the insurance companies to pay for millions of unwanted pregnancies and births but we dont have the money for that.

We need to balance the budget and i dont know why you want me to pay for your opposition to contraceptive coverage.

See...I didn't think you would actually compare what Rosa Parks did to someone who wants her school to pay for her birth control pills. Apparently, I was mistaken.

I didn't realize it was free to attend Georgetown.

bleedorange i dont understand why conservatives dont want to cover contraceptives.

you guys want the insurance companies to pay for millions of unwanted pregnancies and births but we dont have the money for that.

We need to balance the budget and i dont know why you want me to pay for your opposition to contraceptive coverage.

The only issue here is forcing a private entity to fund something it doesn't want to based on religious grounds.

Guest Jules

The man signed a $200 M (makes over $50 M/yr) contract in 2008 because he is taken seriously by a very large market. They are out there and support him in most of what he says, too.

Yes I believe 15 million people (roughly 5% of the US population) take him pretty seriously.

i dont want you to force me as a taxpayer to pay for your religious beliefs vis a vis millions of unwanted pregnancies and births.

we dont have the money weve got a budget to balance

So private religiously-affiliated institutions not paying for birth control pills for their students is the reason the budget isn't balanced? I can't believe how simple it is.

Guest Jules

actually the 15 million number has zero basis in fact. he used to say 20 million

the number is absolutely unknown.

Well either way it's up there. Hence all the sponsors and his ridiculous income.

Or what Lammy said.

What amazes me is Rush, through his own hubris, changed the debate from should private companies offer birth control if it is against their morals, to be centered around him. He, being the defacto mouth piece of the GOP, makes it seem that the entirety of the party is women hating pigs, who don't know how birth control works. Not one GOP candidate has come out and said criticized Rush for what he said, or demand any type of apology. They are all too afraid of him and his listeners.

This right before Super Tuesday, where Mitt Romney, is likely to sew up the nomination. Regardless of what you think of the GOP they have screwed up their entire nomination. As the days go by it proves that whomever are running the campaigns are a bunch of complete morons.

Good luck beating Obama now.

where did this crap come from anyway? ive never heard this brought up by any politician in my entire life.

contraception is some huge moral issue for church going folks now??? what about death penalty or war??

i just dont get. some new issue they thought they were gonna bring the religious out of the woodworks to support them on.

well ive never seen such a backfire in all my life