contraception is some huge moral issue for church going folks now???

Really? The Catholic church has been against contraception since... oh about 2000 years now.

But - the one thing that's being ignored in this whole issue is that birth control pills have many other beneficial health benefits for women other than limiting the potential for conception - and is prescribed by doctors as such.

Anyway, I thought this whole thing was moot because of the recent compromise -that if private employers objected to certain health insurance benefits due to moral grounds, the insurance company was supposed to reach around (so to speak) to the employee and offer it themselves...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of this is really about birth control and who should or should not pay for it; it is about Rush ripping on someone for three days who was just expressing an opinion that is fairly maiinstream (maybe not to some the Catholics.) Actually NOW it is about the money. You can't run a radio show without sponsors.

There was a time when evangelical Protestants would not have come to the defense of the Catholic Church because they didn't even feel that Catholics were Christians. Times sure have changed. It was in the dark ages, pre1960s, when the spector of a Catholic president (JFK) was a complete horror. Now even the most conservative of evangelicals is lining up behind either Santorum or Gingrich. Meanwhile the weirdness of Mormons doesn't seem that outrageous to them I guess.

Actually most Catholics don't really give a crap about what the church says about birth control, they simply go ahead and use it.

LouieB

After actually listening to the segment in which Limbaugh makes his comments, I take back my original stance and defend Rush. I thought it was pretty funny. If a comedian or Howard Stern says the same thing, nothing is said about it. And that is essentially what Rush is...a shock jock.

After actually listening to the segment in which Limbaugh makes his comments, I take back my original stance and defend Rush. I thought it was pretty funny. If a comedian or Howard Stern says the same thing, nothing is said about it. And that is essentially what Rush is...a shock jock.

Ed Shultz got suspended last year for calling someone a "slut". Stern has been fined and fired from the FCC/stations a couple of times and is now off of "regular" radio and people have to pay to listen to him. Bill Mahar's show was cancelled from ABC. But I am sure you can find idiots on the Left that have gotten away with it and those idiots should have been reprimanded.

But, you are right Rush is hilarious.

Ed Shultz got suspended last year for calling someone a "slut". Stern has been fined and fired from the FCC/stations a couple of times and is now off of "regular" radio and people have to pay to listen to him. Bill Mahar's show was cancelled from ABC. But I am sure you can find idiots on the Left that have gotten away with it and those idiots should have been reprimanded.

I'm not making a right/left argument at all. I guess I just don't get offended easily. You're right about Ed Schultz. I forgot about that incident. I don't think Howard Stern was ever fined for calling someone a slut, but I have no idea if he ever did. His fines were for indecent material.

All I'm saying is that the comments Limbaugh made, in context, were not said with malice. A lot of people were offended and a lot of advertisers pulled out because of it, which is certainly within their rights. I just don't think it was as bad as everyone said it was.

did you check out the other 15 things he said about her over the course of the week??

its not about defending or not defending. it is what it is.

hes free and clear to do whatever he wants. he advocates daily for the president to get impeached and so forth so im supposed to cry about someone not liking what he says??? I dont think so buddy.

If Rush truly did not say those things with malice, and he's paying a heavy price now, that's what I would call poetic justice. I have always considered him one of the nastiest, most malicious, repulsive human beings walking the earth today. He deserves what he gets. It's karma.

Rush & his fans always fall back on "he's just an entertainer" whenever he gets into hot water or says something stupid. Problem is, he puts this stuff out there as fact/opinion on his show... not as an obvious joke. Everyone knows Stephen Colbert is playing a character & doesn't believe a word he's saying... that's not the case for Rush.

And if a 'serious' liberal entertainer like Letterman or Stewart said a similarly offensive thing on their shows, they'd also be feeling the wrath. And they're a hell of a lot more obvious about being entertainers/comedians than Rush is.

Rush & his fans always fall back on "he's just an entertainer" whenever he gets into hot water or says something stupid. Problem is, he puts this stuff out there as fact/opinion on his show... not as an obvious joke. Everyone knows Stephen Colbert is playing a character & doesn't believe a word he's saying... that's not the case for Rush.

And if a 'serious' liberal entertainer like Letterman or Stewart said a similarly offensive thing on their shows, they'd also be feeling the wrath. And they're a hell of a lot more obvious about being entertainers/comedians than Rush is.

But should they? I would argue no.

Normally, I take a person at their word as to their remorsefulness. But Limbaugh went WELL over any line. I cannot imagine that anybody could mount a reasoned, believable defense of calling the young lady a 'slut' and a 'prostitute'.

Limbaugh has always dealt in broad, sweeping strokes that are hyperbolic at best and demogogic at worst. The theater of the absurd is one thing, but this was coarse, offensive and intolerable. Bill Maher and Ann Coulter have also gone off the rails at one time or another. Our society has become uglier and coarser.

That being said, I don't need or care to hear what President Obama or Mitt Romney thinks about this. The marketplace is voting here and with the mass exodus of advertisers, Limbaugh will be punished where it hurts: in his pocketbook.

Nobody has really defended Limbaugh (that I have seen). If someone does, then God help us all.

That's not exactly true. Believe it or not, there are some dim bulbs out there who take Colbert at face value.

He's so hilarious I can only stand to listen to him for a few minutes at a time.

That's not exactly true. Believe it or not, there are some dim bulbs out there who take Colbert at face value.

Dim bulbs or not, Colbert is clearly an entertainer. Rush is much much more.

LouieB

Crow Daddy I read right wing websites all the time and they arent just defending him in droves they are tallking ten tons of shit about Fluke.

I was more pissed on the interweb on Friday than i have ever been.

i couldnt believe what people said.

I am actually less pissed as I have heard the broad, over the top manner in which he delivered this rant.

Bleed Orange hit the nail on the head: Limbaugh is a shock jock. But he is in a more precarious position because he is taken seriously for his political views (by a large portion of his public and himself).

I used to listen to him and simply admire his broadcasting ability. It wasn't the message that made him popular at first, it was the medium. But he ceased to be exclusively entertainment and became a political pundit. How many people have tried to emulate his tone and failed miserably...Liberal and Conservative.

You either have to accept the apology or seem petty. There will be statements by Maher or some other liberal leaning broadcaster that will cross the line. It has happened before and will undoubtedly happen again.You either have to shrug it off and move on or open yourself up for the same treatment in similar situations in the future.

It's easy to believe in Free Speech when you agree with the speech. The real test is when you find something repugnant and offensive.

This Limbaugh stuff has nothing at all to do with free speech. Yes, he's free to say whaever he wants to, and advertisers and networks are free to pull the plug when they no longer want to support it. If that were to happen, then Rush would still be free to stand on a street corner and spew his vile horseshit out to anyone who wanted to listen. That's the free speech we're all entitled to. We are not "entitled" to have a broadcast forum that is supported by advertisers or public funds.

This Limbaugh stuff has nothing at all to do with free speech. Yes, he's free to say whaever he wants to, and advertisers and networks are free to pull the plug when they no longer want to support it. If that were to happen, then Rush would still be free to stand on a street corner and spew his vile horseshit out to anyone who wanted to listen. That's the free speech we're all entitled to. We are not "entitled" to have a broadcast forum that is supported by advertisers or public funds.

Thank you!