• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wife and I are going to see him in Chicago in May.

EDIT: Just pre-ordered it for my wife (and me). If the rest of the album is as good as this, it's gonna be pretty damn good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBwspur5yqo

The guy is clearly on a roll. I need to check out where he is playing in May. He has gone from being an opening act with an audience of a couple dozen people to a big star. Nice work.

LouieB

One of the most consistently great artists going today. Really like what I heard of the new album so far and I got a notification that my preorder is out for delivery today, so I can't wait to check it all out.

Going to pick the new one up tomorrow. I love all of his stuff so I'm really looking forward to this. Also I've got tickets to see him at Antones in May.

I plan on getting it soon too. Antoines in Austin? I was there once. Got to shake hands with Antoine just a few days before he went to prison.

LouieB

I plan on getting it soon too. Antoines in Austin? I was there once. Got to shake hands with Antoine just a few days before he went to prison.

LouieB

Yes Austin Texas. Just picked up the new album. I'm almost through my first listen. It sounds great. I love the horns. His music has a timeless quality that draws me in. it's as good as the rest of them.

I actually went out and got the LP today. I rarely get anything on the first day out, but I was curious. It is just as good as any of the rest of them but not any better. It is certainly a post-rehab kind of thing and clearly done quickly (which it was), so it has a bit of a sameness to most of the songs. Nearly all are in the same tempo with the same arrangement. (It would be nice if he had let a horn player or two step out from the line and take a bit of a solo. edit - I take that back...nice muted trumpet on Lower East Side) At least a copule songs are a bit more uptempo.

Justin has now found his groove, which all artists do at some point or another, so he isn't going to disappoint the fans with another album of low-key confessional type songs. They serve him well so he is running with it. In my opinion he hit is stride with Midnight at the Movies and has continued to write in that style since. To his credit, with four full length and one EP, he has had a great run, which doesn't seem to be in any danger of ending any time soon.

LouieB

Listened for the first time yesterday. It was good. Maybe not #1 of the year good (that, so far, is the fun. record), but I do dig it.

I'll assume that you are being fecicious. But just in case, it's this one:

http://viachicago.or...un-some-nights/

You did put fun. in all lowercase so unless someone has heard of the band they probably wouldn't know what you meant. Just sayin' :).

You did put fun. in all lowercase so unless someone has heard of the band they probably wouldn't know what you meant. Just sayin' :).

Yeah, but I punctuated it correctly!

:D

• 1 month later...

Saw JTE last week.

The show was damn good; he is a surprisingly good guitar player.

Thing is, he looked like shit. Looked like he's back on the junk: clothes are falling off of him, and he appeared to be in a bit of a daze. It was amazing that he was able to perform as well as he did.

Sad, really, and dampened my enjoyment of what would have been an otherwise excellent show.

EDIT: I'm not saying that he IS off the wagon, I'm just reporting on what I saw and expressing my concern.

Saw JTE last week.

Thing is, he looked like shit. Looked like he's back on the junk: clothes are falling off of him, and he appeared to be in a bit of a daze. It was amazing that he was able to perform as well as he did.

Sad, really, and dampened my enjoyment of what would have been an otherwise excellent show.

EDIT: I'm not saying that he IS off the wagon, I'm just reporting on what I saw and expressing my concern.

I saw him a couple days before he was hospitalized the last time and he looked like shit too. I thought he was faking and wasn't. It is entirely possible that he has fallen off the wagon, but it is also entirely possible that this is part of his act. I agree, seeing someone who LOOKS like they are plastered is just as bad as someone who is. Let's hope this is just part of his shtick and not actually a problem.

LouieB

Well glad to hear it was a good show, but I also have noticed he's been looking a little rough lately. Like you said, it doesn't necessarily mean he is back on the junk, but given his past he probably is.. Or at least heavy drinking again.

Too bad...

Saw JTE last week.

Surprisingly good guitar player? Had you not seen any footage of his chops before?