What was/is your favorite decade for music?

i am human and cannot and will not seperate the music itself from my experience of it.

What Ghost said and therefore for me it is the 1980s. I started the decade by listening only to the Dead but by 1985 and for the next five years I was listening to (and importantly, going to see) REM, Talking Heads, Husker Du, the Feelies, Sonic Youth, Replacements, Minutemen, Meat Puppets, Throwing Muses, Pixies, Dinosaur Jr., Galaxie 500, etc.

gosh darn it, this might just be the greatest thread/ question of all time!

for me, it's kinda like asking which of my children do i love the most?

20's (nice reality check, louie B), fiddies, sixties, etc.

I'm in love with them all.

A lot of great stuff from all decades of recorded music, but my overall favorite 10 year stretch would have to be 1965-1974. If had to settle on a specific decade I suppose the '70s would win by a nose as lot of my all-time favorite records came out then: Marquee Moon, There's a Riot Goin' On, Who's Next, Exile on Main St., Nilsson Schmilsson, Blue, Ziggy Stardust, Electric Warrior, Maggot Brain, Third/Radio City/#1Record, Lick My Decals Off, Baby, What's Going On, Blood on the Tracks, On the Beach, New York Dolls, Transformer, Pink Moon, Something/Anything, Jailbreak, Exodus, Labour of Lust... Yep, pretty great decade.

Yeah, 65-74 is the golden period for me, I listen to stuff from every era but I find myself visiting that period the most and the 65-69 section of that more than anything else.

--Mike

For me it would have to be the 80's. It's the decade that introduced me to rock and roll, and shaped my musical taste. I remember my brother coming home with Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker's "Hard Promises", the first rock 'n' roll I ever heard, and it changed my life. From there it was more Tom Petty, Replacements, The Smithereens, E.L.O., Steve Earle.... Thank God for older brothers!

I was born in 1980 but I identify the most with the 90's. The 90's is where/when my musical taste were shapped. The 90's is where I got into all my still current favorite bands! I must admit though I delve into the 80's oftent :stunned

Bonus question...is there one year in that decade that sticks out for you???

1994 for me...just entered high school.

Fun/great albums from: Live, Weezer , REM, Phish,Beastie Boys, Soundgarden, Beck, TMBG

I agree with you on the general time period being my high school and college years. That's when I was most excited about music, spent the most money on music, talking to my friends the most about music, went to the most concerts, etc. So, for me it's the 90s. Started high school in '89, graduated in '93, graduated college in '97, finished graduate school in '99.

I've had to force myself in recent years to look outside of the bands that shaped my taste to find new music from artists who only now in their prime.

The next one...look forward

I love the optimism!