Metal Machine Music - The Endurance Test

MMM Endurance Test  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How far can you get into Metal Machine Music?

• Less than 10 min
    • More than 10 but less than 20 min
    • More than 20 but less than 30 min
    • More than 30 but less than 40 min
    • More than 40 but less than 50 min
    • More than 50 but less than 60 min
    • I have an over abundance of endurance and tolerance, I made it to the end!

So one of the great things about Spotify is that I am getting to listen to all those albums I've heard about but am to thrifty (ok, so I'm cheap) to buy. So last night I decided I was going to try to get through Metal Machine Music, one of the most loathed albums of all time. I made it to the 8 minute mark (about halfway) of Part I. So the question goes out to the masses - How far can you get through MMM before you have to call it quits or your ears bleed?

I just finished reading a Lester Bangs book where this was talked about. Apparently Lou Reed claims he put in bits of Beethoven and things in there but it's all noise to me.

I've heard that Lou's claims about classical music bits in MMM were just part of a ruse that he was playing, trying to get critics and whatnot to claim that they heard the classical elements in all the noise and feedback when in fact there was nothing of the sort. Who knows, but I wouldn't put it past Lou to pull something like that.

I've heard that Lou's claims about classical music bits in MMM were just part of a ruse that he was playing, trying to get critics and whatnot to claim that they heard the classical elements in all the noise and feedback when in fact there was nothing of the sort. Who knows, but I wouldn't put it past Lou to pull something like that.

This is what the liner notes from the box set claim, as well as say that lou was in a dispute with his label and owed them one record under their contract. pissed with them, he gave them metal machine music and moved on to what he really wanted to do next. i have the box set and have listened to the excerpt there but nothing more.