Waiting in line before GA Wilco shows anybody have any tips?

My husband and I will be attending our first GA Wilco show at Sloss Furnace next week.

So, I was wondering if any of you guys experienced with GA shows could give us some tips. I have been to 1 GA show before in Berkley back in 2007, but nerfherder (Collin) and I lucked out into a second row spot.

How early is early enough to ensure front row? We were thinking 7am.

Do we just run like hell to the front of the stage when they open the gate?

I emailed Sloss Furnaces to ask them what the procedure was for GA shows, and they didn't really say much, except "get here early"

I know i'm probably over analyzing it, but it's the only show we are paying to go to this summer, so I want to make it perfect. Especially since my husband is a bigger fan now than he was when we saw them back in the fall.

2-3pm should be fine, for 7pm doors, if you want to ensure being right up front. 1pm and you likely be person number 1.

And anyone going to Birmingham looking for somethign else to do should look for Rickwood Field , it's old baseball stadium heaven.

Sarah, I think if you're in line at 7am you'll get front row and a divorce!

But seriously. . . I don't know the venue, of course, but I would think 3-4 hours prior to the gates opening should be plenty enough time. (And this is coming from someone who wants to be on the rail for everything.) If it were something like Solid Sound, where the entire crowd is diehards, maybe 7am wouldn't be a bad idea, but I would be shocked if that were necessary in Birmingham, AL.

Wait, I was at that show. What time did it start? I think I was eating lunch at 12 and listening to them warm up.

I got to the Maine State Pier for my first Wilco show at like 12pm. I still got cut in line by a bunch of ass holes

7AM?

this isn't a Morrissey show, is it?

:lol

Maybe I am a bit over zealous. I just really, really want to be front row.

When did people start lining up for the GA Chicago shows (though I guess it is AL and not IL... so there's probably a big difference)

At the Avett Brothers show we saw in December, this drunk floozy got in front of me, and my sister (4 years younger than me, which makes it all the more awesome and slightly embarrassing) threatened to knock her teeth out if she didn't move. The girl moved.

dboon is just screwing with you, Dennis. (Knock it off, dboon.)

Sarah, I'm agreed that being there about 4 hrs. early is probably enough. Bring water and snacks, but usually the waiting time seems to fly. I've had many great conversations while waiting in line....something about the enforced "unbusyness" creates a nice atmosphere to just enjoy the company of your companions and fellow line-waiters.

Return any chairs and other extras to your vehicle well before the doors are set to open, maybe a half-hour in advance. Don't be carrying a purse that will have to be checked, because that'll hold you up getting in. You don't want to be carrying anything, if you can avoid it.

And yes, run for it once inside! Although the venue staff will be calling out, "No Running!" And don't trip over any little stairs. I did that once.( And rolled back to my feet and ran on and got to the rail!)

Good luck! :) Have a blast!!!

Oh yeah, and wear good shoes you can run in.

a soon as they go into One Sunday Morning I'll be giving my disertation on how screwed up it was that brianna said all that stuff about Kristin. I mean I actually could not believe what I heard. And all that stuff aaron said too??!!!

:)

actually im a shssher of the highest form.