Kelly Hogan - New album and opening for Neko Case and Andrew Bird and Wilco

This does not seem to have been mentioned here, but Chicago all star back-up singer Kelly Hogan has a great new solo album out and is now going out on tour both on the east and west coasts (and one midwest date) as openers for three somewhat bigger Chicago artists. I can't say enough good stuff about her new album which has songs from a variety of current artists (and a few older ones) and is really good. After doing three Chicago dates and these tours she is returning to the Hideout on July 22 for a couple shows which are definitely going to sell out.

Just thought I would mention all this in case anyone is interested or wants to chime in on this.

LouieB

Thanks for the heads up, Lou - didn't realize she is playing the Hideout - that Sunday early show looks like it might work for the wife and me....

Still need to pick up her latest record.

Very cool. Although I have seen her twice this month, it will still be fun to see her at the Hideout where she used to bartend and sing with anyone and everyone who performed there. Advanced tickets will be a must though.

LouieB

I have posted about this in another thread but, yeah this album does deserve its own thread. It's currently vying (with the Barry Adamson record) for my #1 of the year. A great, great record.

Doubt that I'll be at the Hideout, but maybe there is a small, small chance that some fluke will happen. Thanks for the heads-up!

This is her performing the first song from that new record:

I read the other day that Jeff Tweedy offered her Open Mind for her record, but for whatever reason, it didn't make the cut.

I used to see her a lot, as she spent a long time in Atlanta before moving to Chicago. I'm happy to hear that her new record sounds like a winner. It was a great idea for her to get the songs from other writers. Songwriting has always been her weakness, and that made her previous solo albums pretty dull. I definitely want to check this one out.

I read the other day that Jeff Tweedy offered her Open Mind for her record, but for whatever reason, it didn't make the cut.

I used to see her a lot, as she spent a long time in Atlanta before moving to Chicago. I'm happy to hear that her new record sounds like a winner. It was a great idea for her to get the songs from other writers. Songwriting has always been her weakness, and that made her previous solo albums pretty dull. I definitely want to check this one out.

She did Open Mind both times I saw her and sadly she did not put it on her album because Wilco released it this year, so she said. She mentioned that she might put it out as a single later on. I hope she does.

Kelly is NOT really much of a songwriter. Only one of the songs on this new album is written by her and it is really good. Her strength is interpreting others; an old and somewhat lost art form. I will have to check her Bloodshot albums but I believe they are also mostly covers of others. Her song selection on this new album is very strong, but she says each of the writers gave her the songs.

LouieB

I think I have all three - A Whistle Only Dogs Can Hear, Beneath The Country Underdog and Because It Feel Good. I don't recall listening to them in a long time. I may pick up the new one at some point.

P.S. She's a dam sexy woman.

I will have to check her Bloodshot albums but I believe they are also mostly covers of others.

I guess I haven't heard those, so it's not really fair of me to say her previous solo albums were dull. I'm just basing that on her earliest one, from when she was still in Atlanta ( I thought I had heard more than that, but upon checking her discography, I stand corrected), and from seeing her live so many times. Her songs were always the low point of her shows.

She's mostly been interpreter of other peoples songs all along. You're right about that. Even going back to the Jody Grind. Their first album is well worth tracking down. I'm still on the lookout for their second one.

I don't mean to suggest that lacking songwriting talent is a strike against her. Hell, it's hard enough just to sing or play an instrument well. It's almost a miracle when people can do those things AND write good songs.

P.S. She's a dam sexy woman.

You should have seen her in her in the '90s.

• 1 month later...

By way of the Pittsburgh Press:

Ms. Hogan knows Primanti Bros.

National singing star Kelly Hogan is eager to return to Pittsburgh to sample, once again, the city's uniqueness. From french fries on a sandwich to Phat Man Dee, Ms. Hogan embraces that which makes us special.

"I have a crush on Pittsburgh. I can't wait to get back. I love Pittsburgh so much," she said in a phone interview from a Chicago hotel last week. "I've been riding in vans, playing in bands since 1989, and I've played through there a lot. I've had some magical times in Pittsburgh."

So have the audiences that have heard her perform.

Ms. Hogan returns to Pittsburgh tonight with fellow singer Neko Case for a show at Mr. Smalls on Lincoln Avenue in Millvale.

Praise for Pittsburgh pours out of Ms. Hogan. As do music, writing, tears, laughter and Southern-spiced conversation. She's like a fountain.

"I feel good about Pittsburgh. Any place that Mister Rogers comes from," she said. "I'm a big fan of Johnny Costa and so much of Pittsburgh's progeny. The people are so real.

"I like an industrial vista, with all the bridges and all the rivers. I'm psyched to come back."

God knows where you've heard Ms. Hogan before, but you probably have. Her headline shows have a cult-like following. She sings backup for numerous stars, and at one point was a member of five different bands. She provided the voice for one of the Sirens on "Aqua Teen Hunger Force."

"I was in Wee Hairy Beasties, which was a kids band with John Lankford and Sally Timms and Devil in a Woodpile," she said. "And one thing you don't want to do when you're playing to kids is actually look at the audience, because I guarantee you three of them are picking their noses and eating it at any given time. It makes you forget the words and what you're doing and where you are."

In spite of that, she said, she loves performing music live. And even though the Atlanta native sometimes wears the label of "torch singer," performing what she herself describes as "makeout music," the truth is, you never know what you're gonna get.

"I love to play the songs live," she said. "It's like inflating the songs with air. They always kind of morph a little bit and change.

"I like to try on different kinds of musical clothes. Cheap Trick, Carole King, Sonny Smith, Alan Toussaint. And we're going to re-up our Hold Steady cover. I like to play with all the crayons in the box. I like to stay scared. I like to always be learning."

When the songs work, there's nothing else she'd rather do.

"I can't believe I do this for my Ramen noodle living. It's amazing," she said. "It's my joy. I've had nightmares about not being able to sing. I tried to quit music once, and it felt like I was going crazy. So I decided to just be poor the rest of my life and sing. Life is short, but if you're not doing what your heart tells you to do, it can be lo-o-o-ong.

"It's a tradeoff. My dad is always like, 'You need to get your priorities straight.' And I tell him, 'I do have them straight, they're just not in the same order as yours.' Sure, there are lonely times and worries and things like that. But I've had some kick-ass times, I've traveled, I've gotten to collaborate with people like Mavis Staples, Oscar Brown Jr. and my music legends."

Tonight at 7 you can treat yourself to the talents of Ms. Hogan -- and Ms. Case -- for $30. They promise to show you a good time.

"I feel like I'm a hostess. Like, if I could offer people a cracker between songs, I would do it," Ms. Hogan said. "I have brought banana pudding to certain shows, when I'm nervous about how it's going to go. That way, if things go badly, people think, 'That girl, she sure couldn't sing, but boy that pudding was great.' "

I got her album over the weekend. I don't think I'm going to get any more of her recordings. She's really good live, but for me, her albums tend to be pretty bland. They come off as a competent singer with a competent band, which is sad since everyone on the album is far better than just competent. I had high hopes that this one would be the album to break her out of that rut, but it's more of the same.

I got her album over the weekend. I don't think I'm going to get any more of her recordings. She's really good live, but for me, her albums tend to be pretty bland. They come off as a competent singer with a competent band, which is sad since everyone on the album is far better than just competent. I had high hopes that this one would be the album to break her out of that rut, but it's more of the same.

Could not disagree more. I am damn-near obsessed with this record. Totally love it. Maybe the best of the year. Certainly top 3, at this point.

Could not disagree more. I am damn-near obsessed with this record. Totally love it. Maybe the best of the year. Certainly top 3, at this point.

I'm glad people like it.

The cool thing is not only will you be seeing her live opening for Neko you will also see her live singing with Neko. Two for one Kelly.

LouieB

Great show in Pittsburgh. Top notch players and singers all around - even got to talk to Jon Rauhouse about pedal steels breifly afterwards. Still haven't picked up Hogans new release, but her opening set was very enjoyable.

Great show in Pittsburgh. Top notch players and singers all around - even got to talk to Jon Rauhouse about pedal steels breifly afterwards. Still haven't picked up Hogans new release, but her opening set was very enjoyable.

Did they do Southern Girls?

Terrible admission: I bought her first album back in the mid-90's and haven't bothered listening to her since...I guess I should seek out her new on then, huh?

Maybe, maybe not. Seek out the first Jody Grind album instead. Her first solo album is not good. It actually pains me to say that since her band at the time played a lot of music (with Kelly and other bands) that literally changed my life for a good deacde.

When I looked for Kelly's first album years ago, it was hard to find and expensive. The Jody Grind CDs are easier to find. The two on Bloodshot are just fine, so get those.

LouieB

• 5 months later...

Kelly Hogan is playing a gig at the Green Mill (Chicago) - interesting booking for the Green Mill.

http://greenmilljazz.com/events/9pm-an-evening-with-kelly-hogan/

(9pm) AN EVENING WITH KELLY HOGAN
Friday February 1

9:00pm - 1:00am

$12 cover

featuring:
Kelly Hogan – vocals
Scott Ligon – Hammond B3 organ
Casey McDonough – guitar, backing vocals
Nora O’Connor – bass, backing vocals
Gerald Dowd – drums, backing vocals

http://kellyhogan.com/

Agreed.  It's not bad, but bland is a good word for it.  Kelly has a nice voice but the music overall is just too Tonight Show Band or something...