Wilco breakdown in The Daily

I'm sure this was probably posted last year when it was published, so admins, please feel free to remove this thread if an older one exists. I simply didn't want to go looking for it. At any rate, a friend sent this to me this morning and it gave me a good laugh. Explanation of each point here: http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/10/24/102411-arts-music-xray-wilco/.

101711-arts-music-xray-ss.jpg

I wouldn't mind hearing the below show - anyone attend the concert? Doesn't appear to be a source out there.

1% Archopyrophobia

[Jeff Tweedy: “[Our worst show ever was] the first time we played the Sasquatch festival. We went on after Arcade Fire, who were just becoming huge at the time ... it was like having your ass handed to you by, like, Cirque du Soleil.”]

I was there, and at least three other VCers that I can recall. Wilco was great, Jeff's obviously selling them short. But yeah, Arcade Fire tore the place up. Their live performance was insane, totally over-the-top (in a good way). There was no following them, and Wilco's choice to open with Muzzle of Bees (which I totally love love love, but maybe wasn't quite right for the moment) probably didn't help.

(A columnist in the SF Chronicle once described Arcade Fire as "a cluster of unemployed math tutors clanging pots and science-room skeletons together", and he's not entirely wrong. But sometimes that's what the public wants. :) )

Really funny!

Best is Glenn's quip about being a parent, drinking 10 times as much as he used to. :twitchsmile He ought to consider himself lucky...as a busy parent, if only I had the time to drink.

As for Jeff's mom's advice--it really isn't bad advice. We can't rely on others to complete us or make us feel not alone. That whole "you complete me" line fairy tale could doom a lot of relationships.

(A columnist in the SF Chronicle once described Arcade Fire as "a cluster of unemployed math tutors clanging pots and science-room skeletons together", and he's not entirely wrong. But sometimes that's what the public wants. :) )

Those guys have written some good songs. I'm not a huge fan, and I haven't heard all of it but one thing always struck me about that band: In all the pictures/promotional stuff I see of them they're holding a million accordions, zithers, autoharps, hammer dulcimers and fluglehorns, while wearing Victorian formal wear. Then when you listen to them they sound fairly traditional. They pretty much play out of the rock playbook (a healthy dose of dark new wave in their sound). Not a bad thing, but it seems a little contrived.

Having lived in Montreal while Arcade Fire was coming up, and seeing them play very early on, I can tell you it's not contrived at all. Their popularity stemmed from the raw energy they put out by banging on anything and everything. Also if you check their earlier albums you'll hear all those random instruments fairly prominently.