Now Playing: September, 2012

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

61DdzZrnQFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's been 4 years since the last new Calexico album, so hot damn! I really do love this band.

And I'm loving this album. *swoon*

You can hear all songs from this album in their entirety at Amazon's Calexico page. I think this is the link. It's $9.99 right now, but fangirl that I am, mine is on preorder from the band, should get it next week.

http://www.amazon.co...=ac_dpt_sa_link

I need to delve into these guys a bit more, but I am not usually a "Greatest Hits" kind of guy. Is there one album that you would recommend as a good starting point?

Not the "classic" line-up of earlier years but this is a wonderful record:

gobetweens.jpg?w=550

Ask 5 different people about the Go-Betweens, get 7 different answers. I think that's a good sign!

For me today:

51FSLPH5TZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg883881b0c8a08052627fa110.L._AA300_.jpg 51xDpAVjJPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51b54%2B3VfJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ask 5 different people about the Go-Betweens, get 7 different answers. I think that's a good sign!

Indeed. I love the older Go-Betweens records but the last few years I've listened to the newer stuff--Bright Yellow Bright Orange, Oceans Apart, and The Friends of Rachel Worth--way more than the older ones.

519qSCblWxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Saw Mould last night and the band (bassist Jason Narducy and drummer Jon Wurster) ripped through this to open the show. They took a breath, addressed, the crowd, and then launched into a mix of songs from Silver Age and some choice Husker Du numbers (and a Cheap Trick cover). It was pretty great.

37b4ec10.jpeg

The xx - Coexist

wildnothinganimated.gif?wmode=transparent

[with 6 different covers]

Wild Nothing - Nocturne

lovethiscover.jpg?wmode=transparent

David Byrne & St. Vincent - Love This Giant

Not as brilliant and amazing as I'd hoped. Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like it picked up on some 70s vibe that molested Leonard Cohen.