• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41HZV8303CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 417uao2v3YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

2012QuietHeartFront.jpg

I need to delve into these guys a bit more, but I am not usually a "Greatest Hits" kind of guy. Is there one album that you would recommend as a good starting point?

I need to delve into these guys a bit more, but I am not usually a "Greatest Hits" kind of guy. Is there one album that you would recommend as a good starting point?

I would start with 16 Lovers Lane and then give Before Hollywood and Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express a listen.

--Mike

I'm partial to Tallulah...but 16 Lovers Lane is their most popular and a a damn good album to boot. I love Grant McLennen but not so much on Robert Forster.

3ec45dce.jpeg

Deerhoof - Breakup Song

d5bfce96.jpeg

Cat Power - Sun

Nothin' But Time sure does stretch the length of time for a good reason.

the-carpenter.jpg

The Avett Brothers - The Carpenter

I don't understand why 90% of this board loves this band. The lyrics just screech corny, cheesy, and cringeworthy. I think they actually made this for Grey's Anatomy. And maybe it's just me, but they sound more like Mumford And Sons more than ever: that's a bad thing. On the plus side, they know their market.

I would start with Spring Hill Fair - which is the album that first turned me onto to these guys - although Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express is probably their masterpiece. Another couple I would strongly recommend are Oceans Apart - a terrific album released in 2005 not long before the untimely death of Grant McLennan - and Before Hollywood from early in their career.

Quiet Heart, which has just been released here in Australia, is the first compilation to span the band's whole career including songs from the albums released after the band reunited in 2000. It's a great collection which includes a bonus live disc recorded in Vienna in 1987.