So her first concert was Wilco

0h God, I feel your pain. My niece and her friends--all in their mid-20s--came with me to see one night of Wilco in Berkeley. They seemed to be enjoying the show and they all told me afterwards that they did, but I didn't sense a great deal of enthusiasm. But then 2 weeks ago she went to see The Biebs and was ridiculously thrilled. I give up. :-(

There are many different reasons people go see music and not all of it has to do with a transendental experience (Wilco). It could be that these kids just want to have fun and see someone that their peers relate to. While Justin Beiber may not be your cup of tea, that doesn't mean that he doesn't fill some need with them. Someday they may understand that Wilco is more important than Justin Beiber, but for now cut them some slack.

(And save me having to tell the story of my daughter seeing Hansen with the Miller-Tweedys)

LouieB

I play my kids (7 year old boy girl twins), all sorts of music I like. Wilco, Old 97's, The Band, Beatles, and "kindie" rock (mostly Justin Roberts and Dan Zanes). Nevertheless, they have glommed onto the tween pop scene. I am confident that someday, they will want to return to the good stuff.

3 years ago... and her second is..... Justin Bieber tomorrow night... (head hung low)... where did we go wrong?

there, there... don't blame yourself.

when our kids were being borned (early 90's), the big thing in all the books was to play Beethoven for them while they were in the womb.

we played Pink Floyd. :stunned ... now for the most part, they all have pretty good taste in music.

Louie's right, it's all good.

Let her see a variety of things, and just keep on presenting the good stuff. My kiddos listened to a bit of everything, and I've gotta say, although they like some music that I don't, their minds are wide open and they have pretty great taste overall now that they are grown.

That teenybopper pop is bound to appeal when they're young, but they'll outgrow it and grow into the better music, as long as they have exposure to it. :thumbup

Did she have fun at the Beiber?

There are many different reasons people go see music and not all of it has to do with a transendental experience (Wilco). It could be that these kids just want to have fun and see someone that their peers relate to. While Justin Beiber may not be your cup of tea, that doesn't mean that he doesn't fill some need with them.

LouieB

This is from a recent interview with John K Samson:

Do you get dissuaded when you turn on the radio? The fact that the popular culture isn’t all that interested in lyrics, especially?

I suppose. I mean, I don’t get discouraged by it. I think there’s a role for that kind of song and, you know, who am I to make fun of something that actually moves another person. And obviously it does.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-28426-extended_qa_john_k_samson.html

I found that response very thoughtful and gracious. And I try to remember it whenever I find myself cringing at certain artists or types of music.

Concert was pretty good... Lots of fancy lights and stuff. I think my daughter was very overwhelmed by the amount of people there. Plus the screaming....ohhhh the screaming. Glad I brought ear protection for the both of us. T-shirt line up was insane, it she got the one she wanted as well as a book, and got to hang out with all her friends before the show... She was quite happy!

We've taken her to Wilco, various kid themed symphonies, the local folk festival, and even some Jazz (Chick Corea last year with her dad for fathers day)... I guess the Biebs just kinda rounds the total experience out. At least that's what I'll keep telling myself...

My daughters first show was also Wilco and she seemed to really enjoy it and has seen them about 3 times now. But over all I think she enjoyed the Deadmau5 concert I took her to much more. I was definitely "the old guy at the club" for that one.

I have to admit, the enjoyment of watching people on stage playing a macbook escapes me.

I am not even going to try my kids on Wilco--just couldn't take the rejection from my own children! :lol How's this for awful: Nick Jr's Fresh Beat Band is in my area soon, and I seriously considered taking them. However, the past few weeks their interest in that show and music has been fading as they're getting just a bit older, plus we have many other activities going on that same week, so we won't go. I'm not heartbroken.