The Strypes - Outrageously good 17 year olds from Cavan Ireland

So, a quiet Sunday morning suddenly hit by a depth charge - randomly came across The Strypes on BBC Radio 6 Cerys Matthews show ...

These boys have really got it. Nothing 'new', but good music played with this much energy never gets old. For those of us just born when this stuff might have been in its heyday, rhythm and blues is back, and this time in colour :-) (though they do tend to bevgoing for the retro black and white vids)

What will they be like in a few years time?... No idea but I think I'll be taking a ride on their train.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plBtjQekyN4

EDIT - checking out the two Abbey Road set videos on the front page of their website might be the best intro ...o

http://thestrypes.com/

• 2 months later...

BITkjrQCUAA-Mv7.jpg

A high energy half hour set at Record Store Day at 4pm. At 8pm Paul Weller is on and the Strypes are backing him - which shows what he thinks of them. Unfortunately could not stay in town for that and had missed out on the required wristband anyway, but really glad I caught the Strypes. A quick meet and greet afterwards - nice lads I'm glad to say. Christ Difford was there too - he's working with them in some capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

The love affair continues. Trying to get my niece into them, will be interesting to see what she makes of it, being their age but not really having been exposed to proper r'n'b before.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've really been enjoying this record today.  And, just bought tickets for their brief US tour in January.  Great Friday afternoon music!!!

JANUARY

20 - TORONTO, ON - Lee’s Palace 

22 - NEW YORK, NY - The Studio @ Webster Hall 

24 - SAN FRANCISCO, CA - Brick & Mortar

28 - LOS ANGELES, CA - Troubadour

Good man.

I have to say that I was a bit dissappointed with the album - 5 or so excellent tracks and then some of their other new material lets them down a bit after the quality of the covers that they had made their own live. Still, they've got time on their side.

However, anyone who gets the chance should see them live for an old school rock and roll experience and fantastic guitar\bass\harmonica playing. A really really great time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a friend who absolutely loses his mind over this band and I just don't get it. They're a well seasoned, kickin' blues band but the only reason they're getting this coverage is because they're kids. Other than that I just hear an early Rolling Stones which is a really uninspiring thing to hear in 2014. 
Unless they make their 3rd record completely different, people are going to stop giving a crap 

Each to their own. Could say the same about anyone playing blues/gospel/jazz/etc ...High energy rock'n'roll never gets old for me.

Their album is patchy when it gets to writing their own material and therefore somewhat disappointing, but I was/am just so taken with them as individuals - I want to see someone tear the house down - doesn't seem to happen enough with young bands these days. The bass player especially is most excellent.

I have a friend who absolutely loses his mind over this band and I just don't get it. They're a well seasoned, kickin' blues band but the only reason they're getting this coverage is because they're kids. Other than that I just hear an early Rolling Stones which is a really uninspiring thing to hear in 2014. Unless they make their 3rd record completely different, people are going to stop giving a crap 

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Perhaps there are some people who are moved by that sound? And maybe there are people who will continue to "give a crap" as they keep making music?

Each to their own. Could say the same about anyone playing blues/gospel/jazz/etc ...High energy rock'n'roll never gets old for me.

Their album is patchy when it gets to writing their own material and therefore somewhat disappointing, but I was/am just so taken with them as individuals - I want to see someone tear the house down - doesn't seem to happen enough with young bands these days. The bass player especially is most excellent.

I say they'll need to change their sound because any band has to do that for the most part. Three (or more) records of the same old song and dance will get old for an audience, but who knows.

I totally agree with to each their own. These guys are a great band and I'm happy to see younger kids doing some stuff with more substance. But it is uninspiring for me to hear a band these days sound like they jumped out of a time machine, unfortunately. 

• 1 year later...

Perhaps their brief bubble of hype has burst (at least in the UK as I think they've been spending more time in the US recently), and i've said before that their first album was let down by some patchy self titled numbers, but I very much enjoyed watching Julian Temple's music doc on BBC4 last night. You can tell what he thinks about them given the pedigree of subjects for his previous films. Such nice lads and I so love the enthusiasm in what they do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02lr1dm

All part of Last nights 'Irish rock night' on BBC4. Stll need to watch their tale of 2 cities doc regarding Dublin & Belfast. Expecting lots of great Van Morrison, Thin Lizzy, Undertones, Boomtown Rats, and U2 footage from back in the day - though there were separate very good Undertones and Thin Lizzy docs a couple of years ago.

Perhaps their brief bubble of hype has burst (at least in the UK as I think they've been spending more time in the US recently), and i've said before that their first album was let down by some patchy self titled numbers, but I very much enjoyed watching Julian Temple's music doc on BBC4 last night. You can tell what he thinks about them given the pedigree of subjects for his previous films. Such nice lads and I so love the enthusiasm in what they do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02lr1dm

All part of Last nights 'Irish rock night' on BBC4. Stll need to watch their tale of 2 cities doc regarding Dublin & Belfast. Expecting lots of great Van Morrison, Thin Lizzy, Undertones, Boomtown Rats, and U2 footage from back in the day - though there were separate very good Undertones and Thin Lizzy docs a couple of years ago.

Damn, we can't see this in the US. Seems to be restricted to the UK.