I've been enjoying it alot too.

For a female in roughly the same genre, have also really liked Patti Griffin's album this year. Not much mention of it I could find here though, but has my personal stamp of approval. Very much enjoyed seeing her at an in-store a couple of months ago, with a guest spot from a very humble and likable Robert Plant.

These two albums (Isbell's and Patty Griffin's) are the two that have been on constant repeat for me for the last couple of months.  They are both exceptional.  I had seen Jason Isbell the first time when he opened for Son Volt a few years ago, and he did a great set, but this new album is at another level for him, especially lyrically (plus, it has really updated my drug and alcohol references).  Patty Griffin I've loved for years, especially her album Living with Ghosts.  American Kid is a really vivid portrait of her father and his death, and has a couple of cool collaborations with Robert Plant.  

I like it a lot too.  Planning to really soak it in on a long road trip the next couple days..  In my humble opinion, its better than anything DBT ever put out...

Southeastern is really, really good. But let's not get carried away.

Never been a big fan of the DBT.  They have some really good songs but their albums overall are too hit or miss.  A couple gems here and there and the rest of the album filled with clunkers.  

On Isbell:

Southeastern is outstanding. It goes back in my CD player in my car about every other album. I think quite a few people didn't care for its predecessor, Here We Rest, but I keep that, Southeastern and Live from Alabama in my car. I love all three of them, much more than his first two.

On DBT:

I love quite a bit of DBT material, but actually prefer their "newer" stuff. Probably my two favorites are Brighter Than Creation's Dark and Go-Go Boots. Something about the subtlety and nuances in the sound after adding an organ player, writing more acoustic tunes and incorporating more of that country-soul sound. There's a time and place for the old three-guitar assault in the Isbell days for sure, but I tend to gravitate toward more recent albums.

I'm just the opposite on DBT. I haven't loved an album of theirs since The Dirty South. And I'm actually glad that Shonna is not in the band anymore. I thought she dragged them down, especially when she wrote songs and sang them.

I didn't care for her tunes much either. The bass player they have on tour right now is freakin' awesome. He almost stole the show in Kansas City, at which they played mostly older material. And it rocked. I'm excited to hear what they come up with next in the studio.

Quick question: Decoration Day or Dirty South?

I didn't care for her tunes much either. The bass player they have on tour right now is freakin' awesome. He almost stole the show in Kansas City, at which they played mostly older material. And it rocked. I'm excited to hear what they come up with next in the studio.

Quick question: Decoration Day or Dirty South?

I've heard multiple reports of how they've returned to a harder style and how great the new bass player is, so I'm really looking forward to what they come up with next.

Top to bottom, I would go with The Dirty South. But Decoration Day has a few of my absolute favorites on it.

Jason's interview and performance of a few songs was featured on NPR's Fresh Air yesterday, and you can listen here:

http://www.npr.org/2013/07/17/202369759/jason-isbell-locates-his-musical-compass-on-southeastern

He also did a Neil Young cover that they didn't have time for in the broadcast, and you can listen to that here:

https://soundcloud.com/freshair/jason-isbell-covers-neil-young

Both well worth a listen.  Also, if you are on Twitter, Jason Isbell is hands-down my favorite feed.  Very opinionated and witty.

I've heard multiple reports of how they've returned to a harder style and how great the new bass player is, so I'm really looking forward to what they come up with next.

Top to bottom, I would go with The Dirty South. But Decoration Day has a few of my absolute favorites on it.

I think Shonna had a lot of influence on the soul sound -- I had read once that she listened to almost nothing but soul exclusively and played a lot of it on the tour bus. Like I said -- I dig it all, but call me crazy for enjoying the less-rocking Truckers just a tad bit more. 

Also, if you are on Twitter, Jason Isbell is hands-down my favorite feed.  Very opinionated and witty.

Agreed.  

Edit:  Just started the NPR interview/performance and got goosebumps hearing "Cover Me Up"

• 1 month later...