He has yet to disappoint me. This one drops on June 11th.  Think I will go for the vinyl like the last 2 I bought.

Just read this on his website and thought it was pretty funny:

As his career has progressed, Isbell has garnered a collection of rabid fans, including David Letterman, who was turned on to him by fellow artist Patty Griffin. Since then Isbell has played Letterman’s show a number of times, and has flown out to Letterman’s Montana ranch to perform at his annual Fourth of July bash. Letterman builds a giant stage for the show, which is attended by his family and friends as well as locals from the neighboring town. “He’s a great guy,” Isbell says. “After the show, he came backstage and pulled out a wad of hundred-dollar bills and gave some to each band member, saying, ‘You buy the liquor, you buy the cigarettes.’ He got to me and said, ‘Your voice is too good for cigarettes, and don’t buy the booze.’ I promised him I wouldn’t.”

I'm a huge Isbell fan and was lucky enough to get to listen to Southeastern last weekend and it's really great.  Amazing songwriting and production.

Easily, his most consistently good album in my opinion.  Standout tracks for me are Stockholm, Elephant, Live Oak & Songs She Sings in the Shower.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't even notice that until now. Perhaps the thread should be renamed to reflect the album name Southeastern.

Wow, was I drunk or something?  I guess it's fixed now.

But, seriously, this might be the album of the year for me.  So good.

Have to agree, sounds so good, probably the best lyrics he has ever written too.  Great from start to finish.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I have decided that this is my album of the year at this point.  Just can't get enough of it.  Lyrically and musically just stunning to me.

And he is coming to Denver in September!

I've been enjoying it alot too.

For a female in roughly the same genre, have also really liked Patti Griffin's album this year. Not much mention of it I could find here though, but has my personal stamp of approval. Very much enjoyed seeing her at an in-store a couple of months ago, with a guest spot from a very humble and likable Robert Plant.