Eno-related: What can you tell me about this album?

5f2e81b0c8a017380ba19110.L._SY300_.jpg

I am completely intrigued. Especially after hearing this Beatles cover.

Regarding this album....its one of two that that 801 made (I think) and both are just okay. it is music of its time and not necessarily that memorable.

And long ago I also got Ray Manzanera and Ray Manzerak confused. 

LouieB

This may be the first time my pal Lou and I disagree about something. I love this album.
The version of TNK is second only to the Beatles' original, and I love the guitar work from Phil Manzanera. The Eno solo tunes all smoke, and the live version of "Rongwrong" is nice too.
For me, this has always been an essential release. Get it!

okay....well I guess it needs a repeat listen. My bad.

LouieB

You might not like it as much as I do, as I'm a bit of an Eno fanatic. The versions of Eno solo tunes are not as tight as the studio versions, but some of them rock harder. Also, the 1999 re-release has a couple of bonus tracks: a really unique version of "Golden Hours" (one of my favorite Eno tracks) and a live version of "Fat Lady of Limbourg." Oddly, the cover of "You Really Got Me" might be the weakest track.

Went through a period of time 35 years ago where all I listened to was Eno related. Recently started up again listening to some of this stuff. Do not particularly care for this album.  However, his "solo" albums, all of them with the same clique of musicians, are outstanding and are wonderfully listenable.  Here comes the warm jets (song and album) in particular...

As for the ambient stuff, I frankly cannot tell "good" ambient stuff apart from shlock new age....

Another Green World, though with some ambient overtones, is beautiful....

Do not particularly care for this album.  However, his "solo" albums, all of them with the same clique of musicians, are outstanding and are wonderfully listenable.  

A little surprised that you do not much like this album if you like all his solo stuff. You find these live versions too loose or sloppy? Or are some so close to the originals that they seem superfluous? Just curious.

Mostly unnecessary. Eno is the quintessential studio guru and his music is more created rather than jam and "feel".  Dont hate it, just not essential. Still better (much better) than a lot of other stuff.

Also really liked "Diamond Head" which was a Manzanera album with essentially the same musicians.

And found my copy of "July 1,1974" with Kevin Ayers, Eno, Nico, and John Cale in my attic. My 3 adult daughters found the cover, clothes, and hair hysterical.....Still the best version of "May I?" out there ...

Mostly unnecessary. Eno is the quintessential studio guru and his music is more created rather than jam and "feel".  Dont hate it, just not essential. Still better (much better) than a lot of other stuff.

Also really liked "Diamond Head" which was a Manzanera album with essentially the same musicians.

And found my copy of "July 1,1974" with Kevin Ayers, Eno, Nico, and John Cale in my attic. My 3 adult daughters found the cover, clothes, and hair hysterical.....Still the best version of "May I?" out there ...

I found most of July 1 unlistenable.  I had a copy and gave it away.  And unlike my opinion of the live 801, July 1 I just listened to a couple years ago.

LouieB

Interestingly enough, I just signed on here to post about Diamond Head, as it popped up on my iTunes at work. If you love Phil, you'll love that one. Great stuff. Has a great version of "Miss Shapiro" on it too, as well as Eno's "Big Day," which may not appear anywhere else. I love Eno on vocals...

Also, I agree with Lou wholeheartedly on July 1,1974. What a disappointment that one was for me, as an Eno fan. Oh well.

Also, I agree with Lou wholeheartedly on July 1,1974. What a disappointment that one was for me, as an Eno fan. Oh well.

In that case I will find time to re-listen to the 801.  By contrast I am sure that it is better than July, which is just horrid. 

LouieB

I found most of July 1 unlistenable.  I had a copy and gave it away.  And unlike my opinion of the live 801, July 1 I just listened to a couple years ago.

LouieB

100% agree. I was so excited to pick it up. But once the needle hit the grove, I was completely deflated. Just awful.

Not to derail the thread and turn it into a Phil Manzanera thread, but if you like Diamond Head, I also recommend Listen Now. Another great 70s record, which includes the classic "That Feeling Feeling," a song that could easily be tacked onto Pink Floyd's Meddle as a bonus track, even though there aren't any members of Floyd on it. :lol

I'm reading it now.

It's a little slow-going. Boring in parts, but other parts are damn interesting. I pick it up and put it down. Still, I just love the way the guy thinks.

• 1 year later...