what's our deal with auto-tune?

Often when I go out for lunch I get exposed to radio music. Seems like a lot of crap can get on the radio these days if it has a bit of auto-tune. Why is that so attractive to the average listener? I mean, I can see the gimmick-newness attraction for awhile, but it's been eons since Cher belieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeved in love.

Got that song in your head now, huh?

I think the average listener just thinks that's how that style of music is supposed to sound... whether it's being used to hide a singer's lack of talent or not is beside the point.  Reminds me a lot of the psychedelic vocal effects used by some in the late 60's & 70's.

I end up listening to one of the pop stations occasionally because I have tween kids and I use the opportunity to talk about how to be a critical listener, the use of sexual content to sell, appealing to the lowest common denominator, etc.  I like to tell myself that anyway.  It pretty much consists of me saying, "Listen to this, this is crap!  The autotune hurts my ears! I HATE this song, I'm turning it."  

My son was in 5th grade last year and they were studying the ear and hearing.  His teacher went into how autotune works so now my son can at least recognize it when he hears it.  Apparently he told the teacher how much his mom hates autotune.  Maybe there's hope yet.

I'm pretty sure that Auto-Tune, when used correctly, is difficult or impossible to discern. It's typically used to make corrections to minor instances of off-pitch vocals and instruments, but the modern artists are stretching it to its limits and purposely creating those horrible effects because they're "in."

The only radio I listen to is NPR plus Sirius once a year in a rental car. I haven't really heard any current hits for many years. I have no idea what Auto-tune effects sound like. Could someone please provide a basic description? Thanks.

The only radio I listen to is NPR plus Sirius once a year in a rental car. I haven't really heard any current hits for many years. I have no idea what Auto-tune effects sound like. Could someone please provide a basic description? Thanks.

It's like someone stabbed your ear with a hot knitting needle.

I guess there are two usages, but I don't know for sure. There is the slight pitch correction and then there is the distortion effect.  I saw Robert Glasper and his group at Chicago Jazz Fest a couple weeks ago and one of his band members used it constantly for effect. After awhile I simply couldn't take it any more.  There was nothing I could do about it of course, but it just pissed me off.

LouieB

I'm pretty sure that Auto-Tune, when used correctly, is difficult or impossible to discern. It's typically used to make corrections to minor instances of off-pitch vocals and instruments, but the modern artists are stretching it to its limits and purposely creating those horrible effects because they're "in."

This is true.  Sometimes it's pretty well hidden, and other times if you listen carefully it's in there trying to make someone "perfect" and you can hear it subtly.  

This is true.  Sometimes it's pretty well hidden, and other times if you listen carefully it's in there trying to make someone "perfect" and you can hear it subtly.  

Yeah just turn on any pop country radio station and you can hear it on every song.  

Yeah just turn on any pop country radio station and you can hear it on every song.  

why would anyone ever want to do that?

There are no other radio stations in the area or you are curious about what is being played on shitty country stations instead of listening to the shitty auto-tune songs on shitty contemporary pop stations.(Compared to some of the shit on pop stations, the country shit isn't so bad.)

LouieB

There are no other radio stations in the area or you are curious about what is being played on shitty country stations instead of listening to the shitty auto-tune songs on shitty contemporary pop stations.(Compared to some of the shit on pop stations, the country shit isn't so bad.)

LouieB

Like Kacey Musgrave and Ashley Monroe (both of whom I'd be shocked to find out they've been autotuned, especially Ashely who has a lisp on a few songs).

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for country radio.  It is the one format that still has a big fan base (apropos of your comments about not listening to radio.)  If you watch the CMAs (which I am sure you don't) the artists always thank the country radio listeners.  And despite some terrible things being played on all radio these days, the country artists are actually trying to write songs. 

Mostly I was referring to driving cross country, not listening in the city..  Country radio is sometimes all there is.  There may be an oldies station too, but it is interesting to tune into the local country station and listen to what is going on, both musically and locally.  Sure it is cheesy, but country music culture has always been cheesy. 

LouieB