Jeff Tweedy Chicago Benefit Shows

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Don Draper

I believe Sam was just bar mitzvahed, so it'll be a few years before we have to worry about that.

I assume you either know the family personally outside of your interest in the band, or that this was info shared by the band?  Either way, it makes me uncomfortable to talk about a 13 year-old kid that I don't know on the internet. Maybe not a widely-held opinion, but still.  I just don't think that the minor son of a band member is really the business of the band message board.

I believe Sam was just bar mitzvahed, so it'll be a few years before we have to worry about that.

Jeez people. Let's relax. First off, Spenser has done a lot of growing up in public due to being in a band. Secondly the benefit we are invited to is for the Tweedy kids school's operating funds. So while I agree that the kids lives should be private, they are certainly public to an extent.

So going from there, if Sam was Bar Mitzvahed then he doesn't have too many more years until he goes to high school. All I did was make an idle and obvious observation.

LouieB

What happens when Sam graduates from Northside Montessori?

LouieB

Maybe the Tweedy's will still raise money for something they believe in?

Does he have hair on his balls yet?

Guest Don Draper

Jeez people. Let's relax. First off, Spenser has done a lot of growing up in public due to being in a band. Secondly the benefit we are invited to is for the Tweedy kids school's operating funds. So while I agree that the kids lives should be private, they are certainly public to an extent.

So going from there, if Sam was Bar Mitzvahed then he doesn't have too many more years until he goes to high school. All I did was make an idle and obvious observation.

LouieB

Well, we're not talking about other students at the school, just these two, and I assume the money benefits all the kids?

If I got bar mitzvahed I would expect my dad to tell his friends and coworkers.  If his friends and coworkers started talking about it to other people who didn't personally know my family, that would make me uncomfortable.

It's fine to have a difference of opinion about this.  I set my boundaries on the more conservative side, but I recognize that doesn't necessarily make others' boundaries wrong.

Maybe the Tweedy's will still raise money for something they believe in?

I am sure they believe in their kids school. That isn't the issue now is it?

Well, we're not talking about other students at the school, just these two, and I assume the money benefits all the kids?

Of course. I assume the Tweedy's can afford the tuition.

Strange how a simple question gets turned into something tawdry in a hurry here. To be sure I am not comfortable with some of the implications being tossed around here.

LouieB

I want to be clear that I wasn't implying anything in my posts.

But I agree with you that Jules' interest in the pubic hair of Mr. Tweedy's children is inappropriate and highy offensive.

Guest Don Draper

I am sure they believe in their kids school. That isn't the issue now is it?

Of course. I assume the Tweedy's can afford the tuition.

Strange how a simple question gets turned into something tawdry in a hurry here. To be sure I am not comfortable with some of the implications being tossed around here.

LouieB

No, my point is that if the reason we can discuss their kids is because it's a school benefit, then all of the students should be fair game.  And I think it's a stretch to say that a musician's fundraiser for a cause that is related to his children is license to talk about those children.

I'm making no implications.  I'm explicitly saying that I think talking on the internet about strangers' children, or about your friend's children with strangers, is not something I'm comfortable with.

Atticus, I may have been unclear in the past: I did not grow up in a whorehouse, I was raised in an orphanage.  It so happened that there were women doing business in and around the vicinity.  They only borrowed rooms on an hourly basis.  It's a small distinction, but it means a lot to me.  Thanks.

I have heard it used as a verb, by several different people.  Doesn't mean it's technically correct, but it's in semi-common usage.

I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate on whether the Tweedys will continue to put this much time and effort into supporting a school once their kids don't attend any more.  Most people I know quit the PTA once their kids graduate.  Also, their support translates to shows that people on this board attend, so I can understand the interest in whether or not those shows might continue.

Also, the Tweedy kids have been in the public eye for a while, their parents seem to be pretty OK with that, so a comment about when they might be out of that school doesn't seem out of line.

But for some reason... yeah, I'm a little icked by the bar mitzvah mention.  Even if it's a known thing, it's seems a little personal for us to be discussing here.

Atticus, I may have been unclear in the past: I did not grow up in a whorehouse, I was raised in an orphanage.  It so happened that there were women doing business in and around the vicinity.  They only borrowed rooms on an hourly basis.  It's a small distinction, but it means a lot to me.  Thanks.

I know this probably wasn't easy for you to talk about.  I appreciate the clarification and sincerity.  

Guest Don Draper

I have heard it used as a verb, by several different people.  Doesn't mean it's technically correct, but it's in semi-common usage.

Happy to see Dick Ctionary's clarification, not least of all because he may be my new favorite poster.

My personal rule is that if you are turning a verb into a noun and you're not allowed to, you just add an apostrophe and a 'd'.  Like, I totally co-op'd that grocery list, and only got three items at Target.

What happens when Sam graduates from Northside Montessori?

LouieB

What happens to the school?  I'd suppose they get to sell wrapping paper cookie dough and have bake sales like the rest of us. 

What happens to us high maintenance rabid freak fans?  Many of us will digress into discussions about Hebrew rituals and the verbization of them. 

In other words, pretty much business as usual.

That said, I've been to a couple of these shows and I sure hope Sue either keeps this going or finds something else for Jeff to do a couple times a year so we can keep this kind of thing going.  It's a fantastic show, and I hope I haven't been to my last one.

I am sincerely sorry if I offended any sensibilities about mentioning a certain Bar Mitzvah. I knew about this from a blog that I follow and Facebook postings and it did not even occur to me that it would be unseemly to mention a rite of passage like this. If the moderators feel it would be in everyone's best interest to delete that mention please by all means do so.