I'm not sure why the corporate american music scene can't feed real rock and roll to the tween masses with bands like the Strypes. With the age of these guys ranging from 16 to 18 the only reason i hesitate the call them a "Boy Band" is because they have talent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrF70UrddzY

But they are hot. And need a new name. This one is way to close to the old Christian rock group Stryper. (I think that was it.)

LouieB

Or White Stripes. But I don't think anybody will be confusing them with Stryper for long, if ever. I think their name is just fine, and it's probably too late to change it now anyway. And I totally agree they're hot.

I saw them on Letterman the other night and thought is was pretty cool.....then I looked them up and wow they are young.  Maybe we will see if they have legs.  I was feeling Jet or some other group I forget.

QFT

OMG I must be so uncool. I have no idea what QFT means.

Or White Stripes. But I don't think anybody will be confusing them with Stryper for long, if ever. I think their name is just fine, and it's probably too late to change it now anyway. And I totally agree they're hot.

Just for the record (not that it matters) I have no idea if they are hot looking since I have never seen their pics; I just know everyone is talking about them and were disappointed when their Chicago show was canceled for some reason.

LouieB

Wait 'till you see Ross without his sunglasses - then you'll see how really young he looks. He's very shy too. I can confirm they are very nice lads though after meeting them at an in-store last year. Their little whirlwind of publicity may have passed in the UK (unfortunately) but it would be great to see them take off in the US.

Edit: Here's the other thread with some excellent clips

http://viachicago.org/topic/48693-the-strypes-outrageously-good-17-year-olds-from-cavan-ireland/

OMG I must be so uncool. I have no idea what QFT means.

Just for the record (not that it matters) I have no idea if they are hot looking since I have never seen their pics; I just know everyone is talking about them and were disappointed when their Chicago show was canceled for some reason.

LouieB

I had to look up QFT too. I think it means "quoted for truth". And I meant hot in the same sense you did, like buzz-y. Visually, they're pretty far from a polished up boy band. They look real and energetic. I hope they're in it for the long run. 

Not being at all acquainted with them or their music I watched a handful of their vids last night. My reaction was two fold - These kids can play (as usual verifying my opinion that musicians have never been better), but their songs reflect their youth. I suppose that is a fine thing for a bunch of teens playing rock and roll, but being an old fart they barely speak to me and aren't supposed to I guess. Second their tunes and vids are all one note, everyone interchangeable with the next. These guys need to change it up a bit for the long haul I think. The pouty quick cut vids become totally irritating after a bit and I had to dump a couple of them before their 3 minutes was up.

But having said all that; they are decent, not a boy band in the usual sense of the word, and some skinny motherfuckers wearing skinny ass clothes. I am going to guess they have a shelf life of about two years. I doubt they will get a mention in these pages after that.

LouieB

But having said all that; they are decent, not a boy band in the usual sense of the word, and some skinny motherfuckers wearing skinny ass clothes. I am going to guess they have a shelf life of about two years. I doubt they will get a mention in these pages after that.

LouieB

For me most bands longevity depends on the depth of their songwriting and live performances. Granted with this genre of music it's directed at topics that have long past me by. But that said, there are clever ways to write about sex, drugs and rock and roll that keep me as a music fan enjoying and supporting the act. The Stones are a band that has always done that, as well as newer bands like the Strokes, Arctic Monkeys and Tokyo Police Club. 

Being the young age the Strypes are, they remind me of Def Leppard back in the early 80's after seeing them "On Through The Night" tour.  Back then i was impressed with their intensity live, their age, limited stage show and down to earth dress. The problem with that band for me was the next time they came around playing arenas they were in leather, with a over the top stage show that soured me on them from that point on. I'm sure they were gobbled up by the music industry and their recored label and told what to wear, how to act and even influence their writing. They didn't ring true for me after that happened and i was still only late teen early 20's in age. 

The Strypes play live and write songs far advanced for their age, and seem like they don't give a fuck about the exposure they are getting. Hopefully with all the accolades from their peers and that attitude will keep them working hard and staying true to them self's. I still like fun, hard driving, blues based Rock and Roll and hopefully i always will. Who knows what the future holds? If anyone does let me know. There are a few big basketball games coming up this weekend and i could use some extra cash$!    :P

I suppose Def Leppard has stood the test of time, but really I don't know. A band like this is purely entertainment I think. They don't appear to be attempting anything other than that. I can't say they are writing beyond their years; it seems like they are writing to their years. They seem to have no pretention of being anything other than what they are, so that's fine.

If we are discussing phenoms, I think some manage to hold on to their credibility over time, but really very few do. A band that comes out of nowhere and rises to the top can just as easily fall right back into being nowhere (what the hell was the name of that band that got a bunch of hype and went nowhere? the 22-20s or something?) However some short termers are remembered fondly and others not at all. These guys may be in the former rather than the latter camp. I also don't know and don't bet on basketball or anything else.

My favorite VC buzz band that everyone thought would last were the Pernice Brothers. What ever happened to them? I still have their CDs but never listen to them. They sounded good though.

LouieB

My favorite VC buzz band that everyone thought would last were the Pernice Brothers. What ever happened to them? I still have their CDs but never listen to them. They sounded good though.

LouieB

For me and VC buzz, i would have to say Arcade Fire and the Avett Brothers are to very good bands that i'm sure will stand the test of time that i learned about here. Thanks for that VC. I really didn't  think The Strypes were a band that would hit home with a lot of Wilco fans but i'm pretty excited and can't wait for the new vinyl to hit my door step. I'll have to check out the Pernice Brothers too.

For me and VC buzz, i would have to say Arcade Fire and the Avett Brothers are to very good bands that i'm sure will stand the test of time that i learned about here. Thanks for that VC. I really didn't  think The Strypes were a band that would hit home with a lot of Wilco fans but i'm pretty excited and can't wait for the new vinyl to hit my door step. I'll have to check out the Pernice Brothers too.

You should be able to find most of the Pernicc Brothers CDs really cheap these days.

LouieB

You should be able to find most of the Pernicc Brothers CDs really cheap these days.

LouieB

They had some tunes to check out on their web site and the tracks i heard were nothing special. Writing or musically. But the true test for me is to see them live. Unless they open for someone i want to see, that's probably not going to happen.