Free Zucchini Bats...

...you pay postage. :) Seriously these things are taking over my yard and my refrigerator. I'm about to begin leaving them on doorsteps, ringing the doorbell and running. But "Leave a Zucchini on Someone's Doorstep Day" isn't until August 8th.

How is it going with you gardeners out there? What are your bumper crops this year? I've got a bit of everything...herbs, peppers, squash, peanuts, potatoes (I love underground crops, it's like buried treasure), onions, watermelon, etc.

I love the rioting growth of summer, and the lush, happy green. Not to mention the simple luxuries like new potatoes or homemade pesto or cherry tomatoes picked & eaten on the spot, still warm from the sun. I have a couple of neighborhood squirrels that seem to be thinking the same, but so far they've left the garden alone. Though they ate the whole crop of white peaches from my bitty tree. I should check if my son Brennan still has that slingshot I gave him one Christmas because he reminded me of Bart Simpson.

Let's see some garden photos! Here's mine.

anmwVZul.jpg

vspVr0hl.jpg

Wendy, I might have some extra herbs, especially catnip, if you need some! Froggie, I did my best to hide the weeds. :lol There's no shortage of volunteer plants I never asked for. One, happily, is a healthy Roma tomato that showed up in a potful of potatoes! I managed to harvest the potatoes without killing the volunteer tomato, amazingly. It's growing some long, skinny tomatoes.

I'd love to see whatever the rest of you have growing, whether it's vegetables or a lovely yard or tree or flower. Or in Froggie's case, dirt.

PS - The stripey fence was my neighbors' idea. I've grown to like it.

The mucky corner and two views of the posh bit - though I don't remember if it was too dark for you to see it all those years ago Donna. Probably was as it was Late afternoon in November.

Crammed in There are tomatoes (pronounced tomatoes), potatoes (pronounced potatoes), herbs, raspberries, blackcurrants, cherries, a traind apricot tree, and various gerkin like things I don't know much about (I just plant them). Also a vine that does give some grapes.

At the other posh end there is a bigger cherry tree, an apple tree, more black currants, and strawberries and little wild strawberries. All a bit of a mess but we enjoy the harvest.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's my little backyard pond.  This year I splurged on a tropical lily that's put out at least a dozen gorgeous flowers so far.  Five or six leopard frogs have taken up residence, and I saw a snake checking it out a couple of weeks ago (apparently leopard frogs are delicious).  There are no fish this year due to a very persistent raccoon that wrecked the place last summer.

There's also a bed of black-eyed susan that attracts pairs of goldfinches.  In a couple of weeks they will have decimated the flowers...

IMAG0091-001.jpg

IMAG0160-001.jpg

CIMG0726.JPG

IMAG0155-001.jpg

Wow, Tom Snout, I love what you've done with the place! :) I do remember your yard....a wide swath of deep, lush lawn, and I think you had just put in a small patio. But the rest is all more recent than my visit. What a little paradise you've created, your own private parkland! If the apocalypse comes, I'm coming to stay at your place and feast on berries and potatoes and wild strawberries. (Okay?)

I think you're pronouncing "potatoes" and "tomatoes" wrong, though. :P

Heart full of holes, I've always wanted a pond. We have raccoons too (Just ask Buster the dog, who had a dramatic and expensive run-in with one awhile back. Either that or a cornered opossum. Left him with a permanent bump on his nose and a big scar atop his head.) so I'm sure fish wouldn't have a chance here either.

Your waterlilies are stunning! Just WOW. The colors! Such a cool little pond and what a great shot you got of your froggy visitor! Let's hope he doesn't wind up as that snake's dinner. Gorgeous mass of black eyed susans, too!

I opted to forego the veggie garden and went for a butterfly garden this year. Kind of fun watching the garden develop, having no idea what these plants are going to bloom into.

I really wish that I was good at this stuff. I would love to be able to walk out my back door and pick the veggies for that evening's dinner. 

I opted to forego the veggie garden and went for a butterfly garden this year. Kind of fun watching the garden develop, having no idea what these plants are going to bloom into.

Please tell me you didn't buy butterfly seeds.