Albums that Don't Hold Up for You

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I understand why they fired me, but did they have to get so fucking cold and ruthless about it?"

Doug Hopkins (Rolling Stone, 1993

"Without Doug and his songwriting, we never could have signed a record deal."

Robin Wilson (People magazine, 1994)

Says it all, really. I don't know how I could live with myself.

I think it's unfair to throw his band mates under the bus because of an internet blurb history.  There's no telling what actually went down between those people.

As a recovered alcoholic, I can assuredly state that if I ever blow my brains out, it won't be because of the actions of others--I may try to sell myself that line of bullshit, but it won't make it true.  Alcoholics and addicts kill themselves primarily because of a disease of the mind and spirit that makes consciousness utterly intolerable, not because of a band break-up or money.  In the 5+ years I've been sober, out of the various suicides I've known, 2 of them had enough money in the bank to never have to worry about money again.  

These guys may have been doing what they thought was best at the time.  They may have finally enforced a boundary after watching the guy step over every other line that had been draw (by himself or others).  They may also have been outrageous pricks, but I will reserve judgment until hearing it from the people involved.

I hear you, Atticus. I can relate to what you are saying via one of our daughters (happy to say now taking her meds properly, seeing a therapist she clicks with and almost 3 years clean), mental illness and addiction matter to me deeply. It's funny, I couldn't give a shit about the Gin Blossoms but the story sounded so outrageous. I didn't think about it being from Wikipedia and reacted. I researched, found this is article, and feel differently now. It's still a tragedy, but not one about assholes fucking a friend for money.

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2006/11/25/gin-blossoms-broken-flowers/

I didn't think about it being from Wikipedia and reacted

I don't know what the true story is, but those allegations were cited to sources somewhat more reliable than Wikipedia.

As a recovered alcoholic, I can assuredly state that if I ever blow my brains out, it won't be because of the actions of others--I may try to sell myself that line of bullshit, but it won't make it true.  Alcoholics and addicts kill themselves primarily because of a disease of the mind and spirit that makes consciousness utterly intolerable, not because of a band break-up or money. 

This.

I don't know what the true story is, but those allegations were cited to sources somewhat more reliable than Wikipedia.

It was Hopkins from the Rolling Stone interview, cited in Wiki. The story that I linked has several sources from all angles. I can't believe I'm still talking about Gin Blossoms. Ha ha.

It was Hopkins from the Rolling Stone interview, cited in Wiki. The story that I linked has several sources from all angles. I can't believe I'm still talking about Gin Blossoms. Ha ha.

It's a tragic story regarless of what the finer details are.  But yeah, it's kind fo bizarre that we've now got a full page on a thread such as this devoted to a band probably none of us were ever true fans of.

Yeah, way to hijack a thread  :-)

Just joking of course.  It is interesting to revisit this.  I'm always game to learns some rock history and to revisit this via the article above has been interesting.  Sad, no doubt.