Albums that Don't Hold Up for You

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that show.  Back then I used to wear short sleeve shirts on top of long sleeve shirts, and I started getting a little too warm so I took off the short sleeve shirt and draped it over my shoulder.  Some douchebag ran by and snatched it and ran off, surely thinking it was a Spin Doctors shirt I had just bought.  It was a Polvo shirt, like this one except white.  I was boiling mad, but I took a little solace in the fact that the thief would have no idea what the shirt he stole was advertising: 

Polvo_-_faucet.jpg

I had the white version of that shirt too.

Kinda pissed that polvo never toured after putting out In Prism.

Pere Ubu opened a lot of shows on that Pixies tour.  You probably would have remembered them, though.

My Dad Is Dead opened for them at The Orpheum on the Trompe le Monde tour.

Kinda pissed that polvo never toured after putting out In Prism.

It's interesting that you mention that.  I saw them in Chicago and my memory told me that In Prism was already out, but in fact that was in 2008 and In Prism came out in 2009.   Have they toured at all for either of their two reunion albums? 

Pere Ubu opened a lot of shows on that Pixies tour.  You probably would have remembered them, though.

Definitely would have remembered them. It was not them.

What I do remember is that, when the band hit the stage they were more stoned than anybody I've ever seen standing up.

Definitely would have remembered them. It was not them.

What I do remember is that, when the band hit the stage they were more stoned than anybody I've ever seen standing up.

Willie Nelson opened for the Pixies?

It's interesting that you mention that.  I saw them in Chicago and my memory told me that In Prism was already out, but in fact that was in 2008 and In Prism came out in 2009.   Have they toured at all for either of their two reunion albums? 

i saw them twice in 2008 but was unfamiliar w/ the new material, as it wasn't out.... i would later learn and love it, ranking In Prism as their best ever record. Siberia's pretty good too, but not to the same level. unfortunately, i guess they couldn't keep it together. I saw Ash during the Breeders show at Hopscotch last year and should have asked him about future shows.

I saw the Spin Doctors with Cracker and Gin Blossoms.  It was an early 90's pop rock wet dream.  

I saw that at Deer Creek. Half price tickets - my wife and I (whom I married just the day before) saw that for 20 bucks, total. Parking was free.

Cracker stole the show for me.

Cracker stole the show for me.

Same here.  They were clearly the most entertaining act of the three.

The show was in a huge arena..  Crazy how I saw Cracker about 10 years later in a small club for about 30 people.     

Same here.  They were clearly the most entertaining act of the three.

The show was in a huge arena..  Crazy how I saw Cracker about 10 years later in a small club for about 30 people.     

I guess nowadays Cracker would play for a couple hundred.  Maybe 500?   Spin Doctors probably play for 100 or fewer.  Who knows how large of a crowd Gin Blossoms could pull these days.

Despite the small shows, I think Cracker has by far held out the best out of the three.  They still tour regularly and release legitimate material.  The Spin Doctors have been very spotty since their debut album (one could even say they were one hit wonders)...  A lot of that could be attributed to the singers health issues though.  And the Gin Blossoms are pretty much a novelty these days.  

Despite the small shows, I think Cracker has by far held out the best out of the three.  They still tour regularly and release legitimate material.  

That's definitely true. 

I've only heard a few Gin Blossoms song.  The two that have been mentioned, plus Allison Road.  That band had potential and knew how to write a hook.  There's certainly a lot of worse songs out there than those three.  Didn't their main songwriter die right after they had their hits?

i think they kicked him and then he killed himself.

That's too bad.   This band had potential, and might have been remembered more fondly if their music had been recorded with a less "of its time" production style.

That's too bad.   This band had potential, and might have been remembered more fondly if their music had been recorded with a less "of its time" production style.

Did he kill himself or drank himself to death..either way he killed himself just not sure it was on purpose.  Most of the songs on that first record were about drinking if I remember correctly.  Shame...as with countless others.

i think they kicked him and then he killed himself.

Damn. Being kicked by the rest of the band is harsh but to respond with suicide? He had to have some serious mental health issues.

Gin Blossoms are an American rock band formed in 1987 in Tempe, Arizona. They first came to notice with the song "Hey Jealousy" from their first major label album, New Miserable Experience (1992), but this achievement was coupled with the firing and eventual suicide of the song's author and band co-founder Doug Hopkins, prompting the title of their follow-up album, Congratulations I'm Sorry (1996). 

Damn. Being kicked by the rest of the band is harsh but to respond with suicide? He had to have some serious mental health issues.

Wikipedia says:

He committed suicide, shooting himself while in the early stages of mental health treatment for alcoholism.

That's an awful shame.

wow, his band members were total dicks:

Hopkins had suffered from chronic depression since childhood and had been battling alcoholism for several years. However, in 1990, the Gin Blossoms were one of the hottest local bands in Tempe and the surrounding areas, and they signed a contract with A&M Records.[2] He was resistant to signing to a major label, feeling like its property, and reacted with stubbornness and more drinking.[3] When the band recorded its debut album New Miserable Experience in February 1992,[2] it was reported that Hopkins was unable to stand during his recording sessions. Faced with the prospect of firing Hopkins or being dropped by A&M, the band terminated Hopkins. Doused in aftershave and mouthwash to cover the effects of his days-long drinking binge, he was flown back to Arizona.[3] He was replaced by Scott Johnson. As a result, the band withheld $15,000 owed to Hopkins until he agreed to sign over half of his publishing royalties. Hopkins also had to relinquish his mechanical royalties to Johnson, his replacement. Hopkins reluctantly agreed to these demands because of his dire financial situation.[3] While New Miserable Experience did not make a strong debut, it went on to become a multi-platinum album.

My mistake. They didn't kick him, they kicked him out of the band. Total dicks, indeed. A & M didn't earn any awards for caring about their employees, either. What a sad story.