Lockn' Festival Sept. 4-7

Thanks for setting this up.  I'm going with 2 friends, really looking forward to it.  We decided to go as soon as it was announced as (we thought) our last chance to see the Allmans. (The Allmans then announced the rescheduling of the cancelled Beacon shows in October, so I'll get to see them one more time).  And having Phil on the schedule made the decision to travel all the easier.  After we bought our tickets, the lineup kept getting better and better.  I pretty much fell off my chair at work when Wilco was announced, for 2 days no less.  Never saw that coming.  Then Furthur, Drive By Truckers, Tedeschi Trucks, Bustle, etc., pretty much a dream lineup for me (just missing Phish or Trey).  Too bad about Weir cancelling, there goes the Furthur set.  But having Lettuce added is a bonus.  Don't know much about Umphrey's or SCI, so we'll see about that. 

Should be fun.  I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Thanks for posting that image. I forget--who's been there before? What do you know about the Triangle and Shakedown stages? Are the acts playing there before and after--not during--the acts on the two main stages? One of the things that makes me most happy about this festival is that I understood there are no overlapping acts. 

Thanks for posting that image. I forget--who's been there before? What do you know about the Triangle and Shakedown stages? Are the acts playing there before and after--not during--the acts on the two main stages? One of the things that makes me most happy about this festival is that I understood there are no overlapping acts.

Pretty sure the late night sets on those stages are simultaneous. That's certainly the discussion on the Lockn' forums. I've been assuming i will have to make a decision between Hot Tuna and Bustle. Not a decision I want to have to make. Assuming I'm still awake!

No announcement yet from Lockn', but Steve Kimock supposedly posted this on his website:

Steve Kimock w/ Bill Kreutzmann and the Locknstep Allstars
@ Lock'n Festival - Arrington, VA
"Kimock plays lead guitar for Bill Kreutzmann and the Locknstep Allstars. Also featuring Oteil Burbridge, Aron Mangor with special guests Taj Mahal, Keller Williams, Papa Mali and Tom Hamilton."

Thought that Allstars set was added on the day after Weir cancelled. Umphrey's are solid and SCI are certainly solid. Both have large followings.

The Billy Allstars set was added after Weir cancelled (along with Lettuce!), but they've never officially announced who's playing in it.

I'm not familiar with Umphrey's or SCI, though I know lots of folks who like them.  Especially SCI.  There's a lot else on that schedule that has me pumped.

Those after -show Shakedown and Triangle stages look cool as hell, too: Taj, CRB, Jack and Jorma, and Dumpstaphunk (saw them do an all-Zeppelin show a couple months ago and it was fantastic).

Weird how they're doing Umphry's ,Cheese, Umphrey's, Cheese that first night....

Sooooo... no beers at the fest? Yikes.

Looks like a fun festival and lineup. But what is the future of the festival in 5-10 years when the majority of these bands will be dead or done playing? Sad there aren't newer and younger bands to include, but I guess that's the reality of the Americana-jam-rock genre. Headliners for each night include members in their 50's, 60's, and 70's. Plus Willie Nelson has to be at least 300 years old by now. Even Umphrees have been around for over 15 years. Enjoy it while you can.

The direction of live music and festivals seems to be going more towards DJ's. It will be interesting to see what happens when all the remaining members of the Dead are off the road. Big void to fill. Wonder what the average age of performers are at this festival? How many under 30 years old? Hope another wave of great bands comes along and the scene thrives, but certainly could go the way of the blues as well.

Those after -show Shakedown and Triangle stages look cool as hell, too: Taj, CRB, Jack and Jorma, and Dumpstaphunk (saw them do an all-Zeppelin show a couple months ago and it was fantastic).

Weird how they're doing Umphry's ,Cheese, Umphrey's, Cheese that first night....

Sooooo... no beers at the fest? Yikes.

Beer will be flowing this year. May be an issue for 2015, but not this year.

I heard the local gov't was trying to block their liquor license - glad they didn't succeed.

Though a alcohol free fest might be interesting.

You are correct, they did "suspend" the liquor license for violations last year, but that suspension is under appeal and does not take effect if upheld until after the festival this year.  Apparently, the cops were all over the place last year filming people getting high and drinking (shocking I know), which is what led to the suspension.  I'm a little bummed about the police presence.

Driving home in the car tonight and listening to a live show (I think it was the first year of Solid Sound), I was just struck by how good the band sounded and how much I've missed them. I think it's been over a year since I've seen the whole band. I'm so excited to see them again!

Official set times released.  3 hours of Wilco over 2 days!  And nice long sets for Phil and the Allmans.

Thursday

4:00 - 4:45 >>>> No BS! Brass Band
4:45 - 5:45 >>>> The Revivalists
5:45 - 6:45 >>>> The Wood Brothers
6:45 - 8:00 >>>> Lettuce
8:00 - 9:00 >>>> Umphrey's McGee
9:00 - 10:00 >>> The String Cheese Incident
10:00 - 11:00 >> Umphrey's McGee
11:00 - 12:01 >> String Cheese and the Gang

12:01 - 1:00 >>> Taj Mahal (Triangle)
1:00 - 2:30 >>>> Dumpstaphunk (Shakedown)

Friday

11:00 - 11:45 >> Grateful Grass (Triangle)

12:30 - 1:00 >>> People's Blues of Richmond
1:00 - 1:45 >>>> Tauk
1:45 - 2:45 >>>> Cabinet
2:45 - 3:45 >>>> Del McCoury Band
3:45 - 4:45 >>>> Preservation Hall Jazz Band
4:45 - 6:00 >>>> Drive-By Truckers
6:00 - 7:00 >>>> The String Cheese Incident
7:00 - 8:30 >>>> Bill Kreutzmann's Locknstep Allstars
8:30 - 9:30 >>>> The String Cheese Incident
9:30 - 12:01 >>> Phil Lesh & Friends

11:59 - 1:00 >>> Derek and Susan (Triangle)
1:00 - 2:30 >>>> Chris Robinson Brotherhood (Shakedown)

Saturday

11:00 - 11:45 >> Grateful Grass (Triangle)

12:00 - 1:00 >>> Larry Keel and Sam Bush
1:00 - 2:00 >>>> FREEMAN
2:00 - 3:30 >>>> Gary Clark Jr.
3:30 - 5:00 >>>> Tedeschi Trucks Band
5:00 - 6:30 >>>> Wilco
6:30 - 8:30 >>>> Phil Lesh & Friends
8:30 - 10:30 >>> Widespread Panic (f/ Steve Winwood)
10:30 - 12:30 >> Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

12:30 - 1:30 >>> Hot Tuna Acoustic (Triangle)
1:00 - 2:30 >>>> Bustle In Your Hedgerow (Shakedown)

Sunday

11:00 - 11:45 >> Grateful Gospel (Triangle)

12:00 - 12:30 >> Erin and the Wildfire
12:30 - 2:00 >>> SOJA
2:00 - 3:30 >>>> Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
3:30 - 5:00 >>>> Willie Nelson
5:00 - 6:30 >>>> Wilco
6:30 - 8:30 >>>> Widespread Panic
8:30 - 11:00 >>> The Allman Brothers Band

(Transposed exactly as listed from the Lockn' App)

I notice that Wilco is right before Phil on Saturday, hopefully get another Nels sit-in with Phil

• 2 months later...

I know this thread is now officially ancient, but can any of you 2014 attendees give me an idea of what prices were like for this? It looks like there was a price option (no longer available) for "Lock'n 'Lumni" of $199 for the 2015 fest.

I might do this next year instead of Solid Sound, depending on cost, lineup, etc. Virginia is certainly a lot closer to Florida than Mass., and I could visit my old alma mater while I'm there.

I know this thread is now officially ancient, but can any of you 2014 attendees give me an idea of what prices were like for this? It looks like there was a price option (no longer available) for "Lock'n 'Lumni" of $199 for the 2015 fest.

I might do this next year instead of Solid Sound, depending on cost, lineup, etc. Virginia is certainly a lot closer to Florida than Mass., and I could visit my old alma mater while I'm there.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that Wilco will be back next year.  Although they just did 3 nights at the Cap Theatre, another Peter Shapiro venue, so I figured it was bundled together, and Tweedy did say something at the last night of the Cap run about being back next year, so perhaps.  One thing you can be sure of: Wilco will be playing Solid Sound!