Diane Izzo's "Love Like A Wire" performed by full band Tweedy 2014 "Sukirae" Tour!! WOW!

What does anyone here know anything about this song or about Diane Izzo?

WOW! This show contains a rare full band Tweedy cover deceased Chicago singer-songwriter Diane Izzo's great song "Love Like a Wire".
It's a totally stunning performance of an equally stunning song!! This is my first encounter with it. I am so blown away that I just requested it online for the Ithaca show.

If there are any more Tweedy shows that are planned as Roadcase releases I truly hope they consider putting this in the set list for an official release. This band does a killer "Give Back The Keys To My Heart" (not to mention a few other non-"Sukirae" songs they've taken on) & I adore Doug Sahm, but I'd really, Really, REALLY love to see this song get some more exposure with some kind of official easily available to hear release. If there's another single from this album I wish Jeff & Spencer would record a studio version, or the full band, whatever...just get this one out there somehow!!

I've decided I'm going to spend the afternoon learning this song myself...at least I can get it out there. I'm moving back to a local city this Autumn myself, partially to get a full band back together. This will be one of the first songs we'll be learning & I'll have a solo acoustic version ready by sundown. Just...WOW!!

http://www.sooutoftune.org/concerts/1224

Here's what I've found so far...
http://www.wbez.org/blog/jim-derogatis/2011-02-28/diane-izzo-one-ages-83065

"Love Like A Wire" is not on her debut (and apparently only released album) album "One" (14 songs)...

There's a half dozen songs or so I'll check out later on youtube...

I saw Dianne Izzo many years ago (actually Andrew Bird opened for her at the show.)  She passed away a couple years ago. She was poised to be a big talent that never really happened. Her CD is probably easy enough to get, but she remains a cult figure in Chicago musical circles.  It's kind of sad really.

Her CD is available used on Amazon from dealers for nearly free. 

LouieB

I saw Dianne Izzo many years ago (actually Andrew Bird opened for her at the show.)  She passed away a couple years ago. She was poised to be a big talent that never really happened. Her CD is probably easy enough to get, but she remains a cult figure in Chicago musical circles.  It's kind of sad really.

Her CD is available used on Amazon from dealers for nearly free. 

LouieB

Yeah, I tracked down the album pretty quickly. Fascinating artist. I just wondered if anyone had ever seen her live, or knew more about her than was up on the net.

It looks like there were/are plans to release more of her material in conjunction with the final release of the film "Black & Gold". I wonder if "Love Like A Wire" will be on there.

While I honestly can't imagine hearing a better version than Tweedy's/Jeff's, I would still love to hear her original version too.

• 1 month later...

I tweeted at @jefftweedy to see if there is a recorded version of Love Like a Wire anywhere; there is not. So I mastered the recording I got from the online stream from Brooklyn and put it up on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/erickehoe/tweedy-love-like-a-wire-live

Thank you for that. That songs gets better to me with every listen. It seems like it would be a hard one to sing, and Jeff's voice really fits it perfectly.

By the way, is that you singing You Are Not Alone that came up on Soundcloud right after Love Like a Wire? If so, very nice job.  :thumbup

I saw Dianne Izzo live.  She was the headliner on a bill that included Andrew Bird and Bowl of Fire, back when he was a young pup, and Jon Langford and Skull Orchard. This was long ago. Dianne has been dead for several years.

LouieB

Sounds like a pretty cool bill, Lou! Where was that?

I'm curious to know where Jeff heard Love Like A Wire since it doesn't appear that Izzo ever released a recording of it anywhere (it's not on her one solo record). I'm guessing maybe it was a demo of hers he heard at some point in the late 90s Chicago scene, but I'd be interested to know.

Exactly that. He said last night that he was given the demo tape and that it's really sad that we all couldn't here it.

Edit: This was in response to bbop. The quote thing didn't work.

Gotcha, figured that had to be it. Thanks for the confirmation!

I can't get the quote feature to work anymore either.

The show I saw was at the Metro.  It was a promotional show for Dianne and I got a free ticket, I don't remember how, but the place was not crowded at all.  Although Andrew Bird and Bowl of Fire had released a couple CDs at that point, he announced that it was the largest venue he had ever played.  He was the opener too. I was mostly interested in seeing Jon Langford, but all were very good.  One of the wait staff asked me if I was an actor or something.  I guess it was because I was even at that point one of the older people in the audience.

She Was very good, but by the time she came on, the audience was even smaller. Dianne never attained any kind of large following at all.  Copies of her album are very inexpensive from dealers on Amazon.  I doubt anything about this cover of her song will raise her profile all that much.  By the time she passed a few  years ago she was all but forgotten.

LouieB