Kingpin
Monday

Encore #2
Capitol City
War on War
New Madrid
California Stars
Misunderstood

First of all, kudos to bbop for all those road reports year after year. I don't know how you do it. I'm wiped out from 8 hours of driving.

Good to catch up with VC member suites. See ya in Orlando, bro.

EDIT: Got a couple more hours of sleep, and already had the day off to recover, so I can eke out a few nuggets here.

The Capital City Amphitheater is a brand new outdoor facility in Cascades Park in Tallahassee. My wife and I were just up there a couple weeks ago checking it out for a Bruce Cockburn gig (which, unfortunately, was on a smaller stage, not the amphitheater). It's a solid 4-hour drive from Tampa, and that's going 80mph on the highway, so we knew we were in for a good long day. We arrived at about 6:30 just in time to hear a bit of Royal Thunder, which we heard from a distance...wandering around the park. I will be suffering through their set up close and personal in the general admission area twice this week.

Show started right about 7:30 (!) presumably due to a noise curfew, and was over just a hair before 10. The crowd featured the weird sitting/standing issue we see so often at Wilco shows in Florida - and other places around the country, as I've read here. We were seated for the first few songs, as most everyone around us was as well. There were a few diehards in the front center area who, I believe, were standing the whole time. Jeff was quiet at first, doffing his hat as a silent thank you after applause died down after each song. Somewhere in that early part of the set he greeted the crowd with something like, "How are you doing, Tallahassee? It's been a long time...ten years. (Pause) You look good." This elicited quite a laugh, as he said it in the tone you would use for someone you know personally.

Around the time Airline started, the place kind of went bananas. LOTS more people on their feet, people in the front row dancing in the small pit area in front of the stage. Within moments, people came streaming down and dancing around in that small space, which is the equivalent of maybe 6 standing rows. Security totally punted, and after the song Jeff made some comment about everybody needing to go back to their assigned seats, but then said, "I'm just kidding." That entire area in front of the stage stayed occupied, and grew more packed, for the rest of the show. Still, there were people in seats up behind us who never stood at all...which is fine, really. With stadium seating, their view would still have been unobstructed.

Anyway, it was a great show pretty much from start to finish, though I think Jeff's vocal energy flagged a bit during HMD and ITMWLY, which is understandable. They played a few songs I'd never heard live before, including Panthers, Secret of the Sea & On and On and On, so I was a happy camper from that standpoint. The "hootenanny" section at the end was cool, though it must have been hard to hear for the people way up in the official "general admission" area on the grass. Kind of funny hearing this now-rowdy audience go totally silent so they hear and/or sing quietly along with New Madrid and Misunderstood.

On a personal note, this was my wife's first ever Wilco show. I was amused when she told me she liked Nels and Glen but didn't really have anything much to say about the others! I found myself sort of "defending" Jeff (Well, see, he wrote all those songs...and he hired those guys. Oh, okay.) Sometimes we forget that to many, he is a rather unlikely frontman.  :lol

Anyway, it was fun to see her go from sort of sitting there during the first half of the show to dancing along to Heavy Metal Drummer and Dawned On Me. Picked up my first ever Wilco poster, too, which is kind of a cool one.

Hopefully, some other folks will chime in and add more later. Heartbreak out!

I was one of the "diehards" standing in front of 200. My seat was in the very front row where there were only like 10 seats per section but I was prepared to stand the whole time.

Great show, they played one of my requests. Only complaint was the talkers and the drunk girl next to me blowing smoke in my face the whole time. Not sure if those were Roadcase mics up but I'd be interested to see how much of the talking came through.

Loved Jeff's comment about the random people walking up to the front barricade to take pictures. I know I complain a lot but if you're there to talk and just take pictures, stay home. Enjoy the music, enjoy the experience!

I have tickets for the Orlando and St. Augustine shows but won't be making them. Decided that if I could get tickets for the Replacements in Chicago on Wednesday and Thursday that I'd go up there, so that's where I'll be. Maybe I'm crazy enough to hit up one of these summer shows like Ketchum or Missoula....

But honestly, they're just so unbelievably good right now. Just go see them, these sets keep getting better and better!

First of all, kudos to bbop for all those road reports year after year. I don't know how you do it. I'm wiped out from 8 hours of driving.

Nice job on the recap! I usually don't have to drive so much before and after a show, but it does take some time to put together a reasonably coherent report. Thanks for reading my blather year after year... :cheers

The "hootenanny" section at the end was cool, though it must have been hard to hear for the people way up in the official "general admission" area on the grass. Kind of funny hearing this now-rowdy audience go totally silent so they hear and/or sing quietly along with New Madrid and Misunderstood.

I've been wondering how they'd deal with the hootenanny as they start to play bigger outdoor venues. I guess it doesn't matter if you're relatively close, but it must seem a little muffled or distant if you're way back on a big lawn or something. I assume they'll keep doing it as part of these Wilco 20 shows, at least at non-festival gigs, but we'll see...

Hopefully, some other folks will chime in and add more later. Heartbreak out!

It definitely helps in terms of the post-show reports when other folks chime in! :thumbup

Great great show. Nice seeing Mr. heartbreak even for a short time.

Right from the start it was intense. Heard some songs that I have never heard live so that was cool.

I enjoyed the hootenanny style at the end but wish they did it in the middle of show like they did a few years back. it felt like a bit of a letdown after kingpin and Monday.

My cousin loved it and it was his first wilco show. Was blown away right from the start

Nice job on the recap! I usually don't have to drive so much before and after a show, but it does take some time to put together a reasonably coherent report. Thanks for reading my blather year after year... :cheers

Thanks, Paul. I didn't have the energy to write more, but there was one other funny "Banter Corner" moment.

Guy in Audience: We love you!

Jeff: (after a long pause) Thank you very much. I don't know you well enough to say the same thing back to you. I like you...I appreciate you. :lol

suites, on 28 Apr 2015, said:

Nice seeing Mr. heartbreak even for a short time.

You'll get enough of my ugly mug tonight and Friday. You'll be sick of me after this week! We should meet up in St. Aug, I'll be so dang late tonight...Hope I'm not stuck in the back behind a crowd of tall people.

I enjoyed the hootenanny style at the end but wish they did it in the middle of show like they did a few years back. it felt like a bit of a letdown after kingpin and Monday.

I feel the same way. It's a fun and different way to enjoy the band and have a singalong, but i like it best when they end by slaying you with rock. Getting whipped into a frenzy with the serious rockers (I Got You, Monday, etc) and ending on that high point, is always one of the highlights for me.