After a couple of years' hiatus, heading back to NOLA with a buddy for second weekend of JazzFest.  Any other VC'ers going?  So much fun.

Today's a big day, the lineup and daily schedule gets announced. Although my experience has been its always a blast regardless of any preconceived notions I've had about the daily lineup.  So much music of every kind, I always find something to blow my mind at every time slot on some random stage or other.  And the food.... 

I would like to see Mavis, Gary Clark, Jr., Elvis Costello, and Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. Possibly the biggest for me on the list are Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter. Actual jazz at Jazz Fest!

I love New Orleans and New Orleans music, but I've never been to Jazz Fest.  I've heard about all the night time shows in the clubs and curious if anyone knows how you get the info about who is playing what night time show and when and how to get tix ahead of time, if that is possible.  Anybody know?

Who's Nick Jonas? Winter storm Jonas? 

Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats are on the first day, I believe. These guys have blown up since their debut album last year. Already headlining Red Rocks this summer....Great album, too...

I love New Orleans and New Orleans music, but I've never been to Jazz Fest.  I've heard about all the night time shows in the clubs and curious if anyone knows how you get the info about who is playing what night time show and when and how to get tix ahead of time, if that is possible.  Anybody know?

Here's the grids for the club shows.  These cubes will fill in as shows are announced. If you look now at second weekend, only 4 clubs are listed.  There will be dozens listed as time goes on.  I also subscribe to various club email lists to get announcements directly.  There always ends up being more shows that I want to go to than I can physically get to.

http://www.jazzfestgrids.com/

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I just booked flights and an apartment on airbnb for 2nd weekend.  Honestly, I can't believe how affordable the whole thing was.  We are getting 2 one day passes to do Friday and Sunday.  Super stoked to see Paul Simon, My Morning Jacket, Neil Young, Mavis Staples, Isley Bros.  This will be our first time doing Jazzfest, so we are very stoked.  Planning to take our instruments and busk wherever we can the rest of the days we are out there.  I'm sure there are going to be some kickass shows happening outside of Jazzfest as well.

My wife and I just booked flights and an apartment on airbnb for 2nd weekend.  Honestly, I can't believe how affordable the whole thing was.  We are getting 2 one day passes to do Friday and Sunday.  Super stoked to see Paul Simon, My Morning Jacket, Neil Young, Mavis Staples, Isley Bros.  This will be our first time doing Jazzfest, so we are very stoked.  Planning to take our instruments and busk wherever we can the rest of the days we are out there.  I'm sure there are going to be some kickass shows happening outside of Jazzfest as well.

A head's up, you likely know there are 10+ different stages/tents at Fest.  Until they release the actual cubes, the daily schedules, you won't know for sure who will be playing at the same time on different stages.  That being said, there is a certain order to the artists named on the daily schedule.  I'm pretty sure the top billed artists will be headlining the different stages for the last set of the day.  For instance, I expect Paul Simon will be headlining on the Acura Stage (the largest stage) while MMJ will be closing the Gentilly Stage (the 2nd largest).  Those 2 stages are at opposite ends of the Fairgrounds, and with the big distance between them and crowds and all it will not be feasible to catch both if they are in fact playing the same time.   

Here's a link to the late night cubes.  If there are shows you want to see, you should get on it, many of them will sell out.  http://www.jazzfestgrids.com/second_weekend/

I will be there second weekend, after a couple of years break I am looking forward to returning.

A head's up, you likely know there are 10+ different stages/tents at Fest.  Until they release the actual cubes, the daily schedules, you won't know for sure who will be playing at the same time on different stages.  That being said, there is a certain order to the artists named on the daily schedule.  I'm pretty sure the top billed artists will be headlining the different stages for the last set of the day.  For instance, I expect Paul Simon will be headlining on the Acura Stage (the largest stage) while MMJ will be closing the Gentilly Stage (the 2nd largest).  Those 2 stages are at opposite ends of the Fairgrounds, and with the big distance between them and crowds and all it will not be feasible to catch both if they are in fact playing the same time.   

Here's a link to the late night cubes.  If there are shows you want to see, you should get on it, many of them will sell out.  http://www.jazzfestgrids.com/second_weekend/

I will be there second weekend, after a couple of years break I am looking forward to returning.

Thanks for all the heads up.  I had read that many of the acts we'd want to see might be performing at the same time in different spots.  My wife already said hands down that we are not missing Paul Simon and I'd have to agree (even as much as we both love MMJ).  Also - Neil Young is a definite for us.  We had to miss his show with Promise Of The Real here in LA sadly, so we won't be missing them at Jazz Fest.

Thanks for the late night info too!

This looks pretty cool on the 29th and 30th.

AXIAL TILT

A Grateful Dead Celebration at Jazzfest

2 Nights - 6 Sets - No Repeated Songs

PLUS SPECIAL GUESTS

AND MORE

1 Acoustic Set + 2 Electric Sets Both Nights

Show: 10 pm

10 pm to 3 am

This looks pretty cool on the 29th and 30th.

AXIAL TILT
A Grateful Dead Celebration at Jazzfest
2 Nights - 6 Sets - No Repeated Songs
PLUS SPECIAL GUESTS
1 Acoustic Set + 2 Electric Sets Both Nights
Show: 10 pm
10 pm to 3 am

Does look good, but I went with Lobos on 4/29 (passing up JRAD) and Galactic (4/30)

And you get to see JJ Grey and Mofro open for Galactic, nice!

Would love to see My Morning Jacket do another late night show with Pres. Hall Jazz Band, too.  I've not heard anything about that, though.

And you get to see JJ Grey and Mofro open for Galactic, nice!

Would love to see My Morning Jacket do another late night show with Pres. Hall Jazz Band, too.  I've not heard anything about that, though.

I would be over the moon if MMJ announced osme kind of late night show, especially something with Pres. Hall... here's hoping with fingers crossed...