Winter Thaw Tour Appreciation Thread

Having seen 3 shows in two states in the last 5 days I wanted to express my gratitude for the New England dates and performances. The road tripping was easy due to little snow and warm temps.

Here's' to hoping that continues for those making shows as it rolls down the road. Speaking of people traveling I met some Wonderful Canadiens that drove down to the Maine show a shout out to them!

In terms of the performances and venues The Orpheum in Boston could certainly take a page from the book of The State smooth running operation filled with happy employees and a Excellant venue.

Well worth the 2 hr ride as it was my first time hearing SW live and was even better live! IMHO

The Orpheum is 20 mins from my home so thankfully I was camped out both nights in lower corner both nights 1st and 2cd nights. The setlists had some tweaks the crowds were as expected louder for the weekend shows and some were hungry for pizza. As an aside ,I don't want to indicate all employees at Orpheum are grumpy just every other one. Noted in other threads. Back to the music I'm so glad John got showered with an appreciative and loud ovation in recognition of his vocals on Its just that simple.

Six yrs ago I started the Spring Tour Appreciation Thread when they did their last run around the Northeast.

I'm confident it will be a bit of time before they play indoors in N.E. So I wanted to say I'm so dam glad I made it to some shows,and I wish you all safe journeys to the shows.

Excellent thread Mr. Roadhse.  I was at the same 3 shows and couldn't agree more with everything you wrote.  

I remember when I got my Portland ticket wondering if the winter weather would interfere with this road trip.  Weather could not have been more perfect for a very easy drive to Portland for my first show at the State.  Really liked the venue, and so wish the Orpheum owners would take a page from the State and Cap (and Beacon) and invest some money in that venue.  It's such a great sounding room, but it is old and crappy looking and could benefit from the lifting of the front orch seats and making that area GA for at least some shows. But I'm not holding my breath.

I hadn't seen the band since SS, so walking into the State at 7:00 p.m. last Wednesday, I was looking forward to hearing SW live, but was thinking that I didn't need to hear it 3x.  By the time I walked out of the State after 11:30, I couldn't wait to hear it both nights at the Orpheum, and they left me still wanting to hear it again after the 2 Orpheum shows.  

All 3 shows were good, but Saturday deserves special mention and was definitely my favorite of the 3, even though I heard every song played during the previous 2 shows. That Spiders in that slot was a standout.

My weekend at the Orpheum was made extra special when coming out Friday night walking to my car my wife noticed the Nine Zero Hotel for the first time, which is a smallish boutique hotel just down the block from the Orpheum. She immediately said "let's take a room for Saturday night", so even though we also live 20 minutes away, I couldn't say no to that!. So we checked in Saturday afternoon, went to the Kinsale for drinks and dinner with friends, and strolled out of the Orpheum had drinks with some other friends and had the hotel right there.  A great touch to a great Wilco weekend in Boston.

I too fear it will be a long while until we get another indoor Wilco show in New England.  We made the most of it, and despite the somewhat shortened setlists for this tour so far, wouldn't give back a second of the 3 shows.  Seeing Wilco is just so freakin awesome! Wish I could make it to the Cap.

For the rest of you who still have Wilco coming at you on this tour, have a blast.  It will be a treat.

My weekend at the Orpheum was made extra special when coming out Friday night walking to my car my wife noticed the Nine Zero Hotel for the first time, which is a smallish boutique hotel just down the block from the Orpheum. She immediately said "let's take a room for Saturday night", so even though we also live 20 minutes away, I couldn't say no to that!. So we checked in Saturday afternoon, went to the Kinsale for drinks and dinner with friends, and strolled out of the Orpheum had drinks with some other friends and had the hotel right there. A great touch to a great Wilco weekend in Boston

My wife and I stayed there Fiday and Saturday. It's a great hotel! We were on the top floor, with a corner room overlooking the old cemetary.

What a great run of shows. It was close to our anniversary, so we made a nice weekend of it. The two Boston shows (and a visit to the spectacular Museum of Fine Arts), then Sunday in New Haven.

I went to night 2 in Port Chester with a friend who'd never seen Wilco live, and as expected his mind was blown. Full, rabid convert.

Yes, it was great to see lots of Wilco beanies and scarves and huddled masses this run.  That initial blast of warmth when they finally open the doors reminds me of the Chicago shows, although the Atlanta shows I went to aren't in that same frozen class of line waiting.  Night 1 was still pretty chilly and windy.  Star Wars sounds great indoors.  That and the hootenanny will probably fade away at some point as the band continues forward, but it was great to see them both this run.  They sound great and pack an awful lot into the shows.  Who knows how much touring we'll see here in the US for the rest of 2016, so it was a real treat to see them early on this one. 

Much appreciation from here!  :cheers

Winter Thaw, indeed. Fortunate enough to weather a DC/ ATL/ OKE leg last week. Wondered if I might tire of hearing Star Wars 4 times in a week. Ummmm, NO,

Great shows, great people (I'm looking at you Ashtraysays, S&M, Bbop, rasberry J, and heartfulofholes (and spawn) birthday girl!!!- thx for the bottle of water).

Words can't express the vitality and energy and roll n roll salvation I experienced during my planestrains and automobiles southern Wilco baptism.

The  unexpected  rocking and right time reverent crowd in Roanoke was the cherry on top. Can't wait for,ah-ah-ah-ah, MORE.