The greatest Via Chicago message board hoax EVER

Anybody else remember the great "Jeff Tweedy: Plagiarist" troll right after SKY BLUE SKY came  out?

According to the genius troll, Jeff had plagiarized entire poems from an obscure 1920's era poet. He cited examples; named books...it was the greatest troll ever.

And it was also enlightening how many board members believed it.

Jeff actually made a rare appearance to comment on it.

Man...I miss those days

I was a lurker in those days (still am basically), but i do remember this.  I also remember a sado-masochistic bondage interpretation of She's a Jar that was about the most amazing thing I've ever read (as well as the reactions to it).  Those were the days...  ok, back to my lurking...

I was a lurker in those days (still am basically), but i do remember this.  I also remember a sado-masochistic bondage interpretation of She's a Jar that was about the most amazing thing I've ever read (as well as the reactions to it).  Those were the days...  ok, back to my lurking...

Damn, I missed that, too. I guess I'm not supposed to disappear for eight years at a time. Sheesh.

Anybody else remember the great "Jeff Tweedy: Plagiarist" troll right after SKY BLUE SKY came  out?

That was great. If I remember right, it was around the time of the famous VC battles over whether Wilco had sold out because they licensed SBS songs for Volkswagen ads.

Anybody know if the status of the  VC Archives --- are they ever coming back -- guessing it may be a server/expense thing - though I can be completely wrong about that, because I don't know how any of it works.

I can't believe I've been on this goddamn board for 12 years!

Same here. Feels like yesterday we were vigorously debating the merits of the drone.

Ah, the drone. Fun to turn up a bit loud at stoplights while driving, to share with other drivers. Or maybe it was just my response to the relentless car boom boxes that were everywhere then, thumping through neighborhoods so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think. The drone sounded mellow by comparison.

Ah, the drone. Fun to turn up a bit loud at stoplights while driving, to share with other drivers.

You have always been VC's most generous and thoughtful member!

Ah, the drone. Fun to turn up a bit loud at stoplights while driving, to share with other drivers. Or maybe it was just my response to the relentless car boom boxes that were everywhere then, thumping through neighborhoods so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think. The drone sounded mellow by comparison.

I never let my younger boy skip the drone. I'm pretty sure this is why he likes noise rock now.

Same here. Feels like yesterday we were vigorously debating the merits of the drone.

Yeah, I joined up when AGIB was released.  I actually love the drone now.  It's a nice ambient piece.

I don't know if others remember the 'is Nels Cline essential?' controversy?  I'm sure I've seen it referenced over the years.

BTW, talking of archives etc, just makes me think about how much of a wasteland the internet is and how long we've been on it...long enough for the issue of dead people's online info has become and issue.  Not sure if I'm making any sense.  Been listening to the drone too much.