Album Titles - Overall Direction

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great post, Mr. Heartbreak. I think you've crystallized a lot of what I feel as well. I know every word by heart of so many songs from Summerteeth, YHF, and AGIB. And like you, much of the newer material fails to stick with me in that way

Thank you. I wish things were otherwise, but...

No need to feel bad. I think everyone can agree that the music has changed.

The Music Must Change! :lol

I feel bad posting anything about the work (if it's not flat out complimentary) on this particular board, the Wilco fan board. There are plenty of other places where people are posting stuff like that, I'd imagine. I like these guys as musicians, and suspect I'd like all of them personally if I knew them.

some real negative nancies in here.

I don't put myself in that category. I try to be the most positive person I can, and to surround myself with positive people. The fact that I'm a little saddened by what I perceive as a decline in quality shouldn't make me a "negative nancy." I'm just being honest about something not really resonating with me, that's all.

Theres always the Replacements influence when it comes to album titles. I mean "Let it be"? Album titles matter less these days than ever, nobody buys albums except us old guys.

Thank you. I wish things were otherwise, but, ...

I'm just being honest about something not really resonating with me, that's all.

I respect your opinion and have some sympathy with it, since I was having similar thoughts in the Sky Blue Sky/The Album period, but I really loved The Whole Love and that arrested the decline in my interest. The Tweedy album and Star Wars were great, and I'm hoping that continues with the new one, but I do mantain a critical not sycophantic ear.

Theres always the Replacements influence when it comes to album titles. I mean "Let it be"? Album titles matter less these days than ever, nobody buys albums except us old guys.

I don't know about that.  Every time I go to a record store, it's full of people in their 20s.  Young folks are crazy about vinyl these days.

But seriously, what constitutes a "good" album title? I mean, is there a criteria we are looking for?

Personally I've always thought self-titled albums were a little lame, but W(TA) was a clever play on that. Beyond that, I'm not sure how to go about judging an album title. Unless it was something like "Excel Spreadsheets 4 Lyfe." Not sure I'd buy that album.

But seriously, what constitutes a "good" album title? I mean, is there a criteria we are looking for?

Personally I've always thought self-titled albums were a little lame, but W(TA) was a clever play on that. Beyond that, I'm not sure how to go about judging an album title. Unless it was something like "Excel Spreadsheets 4 Lyfe." Not sure I'd buy that album.

I think a good album title is one that really ties in with the music. I couldn't think of a single album where I loved the title but didn't really like the music; It's all relative. Some of my favorites would be Our Endless Numbered Days by Iron and Wine, Blood on the Tracks by Bob Dylan, Sea Change by Beck and Hail to the Thief by Radiohead. You could go on and on about it, but having a title that serves to give context to the music or unifies the album in more than just name is the bare bones of a good title. That's why, judging from what Jeff has said about this album, Schmilco could be a great album name.