Wilco listed 6th on COS's "25 Best Rock Acts with Unique Setlists

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/08/the-25-best-rock-acts-with-unique-setlists/5/

Nice to see the guys get recognized for their ability to change things up. To be honest, by the time I got to them I was frustrated that they were possibly not considered. 

It's funny that Pearl Jam are the top of that list.  I actually wrote their Random Setlist Generator (yes it was called that!) in 2002.  They sent me a database of all their songs which contained certain parameters, album, tempo, odd tuning, Eddie plays guitar, etc... I asked if they wanted any tags like 'opener', 'closer', 'encore', 'played last night', they said no, keep it wide open.  So they would enter the amount of songs, max number of songs of the same tempo in a row, max number of songs from same album in a row, max number of songs Eddie plays guitar on and then a set list comes out.  It was a real fun project I still have the paystub and code (Perl/Tk) somewhere.  For years I had tickets waiting for me for any show I wanted, then Brett stopped doing house sound and the tickets vanished, unfortunately I had dropped my 10 Club membership and I lost all those years of seniority when I rejoined.  I always got a kick out of friends thanking me for the setlist last night, for what it's worth I'm pretty sure they tweeked the setlists after they came out because alot of the setlists I would get were way out there.

It's funny that Pearl Jam are the top of that list.  I actually wrote their Random Setlist Generator (yes it was called that!) in 2002.  They sent me a database of all their songs which contained certain parameters, album, tempo, odd tuning, Eddie plays guitar, etc... I asked if they wanted any tags like 'opener', 'closer', 'encore', 'played last night', they said no, keep it wide open.  So they would enter the amount of songs, max number of songs of the same tempo in a row, max number of songs from same album in a row, max number of songs Eddie plays guitar on and then a set list comes out.  It was a real fun project I still have the paystub and code (Perl/Tk) somewhere.  For years I had tickets waiting for me for any show I wanted, then Brett stopped doing house sound and the tickets vanished, unfortunately I had dropped my 10 Club membership and I lost all those years of seniority when I rejoined.  I always got a kick out of friends thanking me for the setlist last night, for what it's worth I'm pretty sure they tweeked the setlists after they came out because alot of the setlists I would get were way out there.

That is awesome!

That is a pretty amazing story! How did you land that gig?

That is a pretty amazing story! How did you land that gig?

I was a touring sound engineer back in the day, worked with lots of cool bands, I was also a programmer (to pay the bills), I had a gig as the lead web developer of the busiest web site for profession audio, one of the guys I worked with toured with Pearl Jam and one day Eddie got frustrated coming up with set list and said "couldn't a computer or something just do this" and my buddy said "I know just the guy".

Very cool! Too bad you lost the gig, though. I was at Wrigley on Monday night and thought the setlist was great although my wish would've been to play more Yield. I heard they only repeated a few songs from Saturday night (haven't yet had time to check).