Jeff Tweedy's "Personal Playlist" (of ten Wilco songs)

A number of interesting things here. I didn't realize how aware of some of the fans' criticisms he is. While I may substantiate his sense of fans disliking "Everlasting Everything" and "On and On and On" (no matter what Bill Fay says), I am a big fan of both "Deeper Down" and "Common Sense".

Also, I loved hom talking about loading up AGIB with animals like an arc. It felt pretty dark and revelatory when he said he felt like he was putting all of himself into it as some kind of capsule for his kids. I can't help but wonder if he was a little too aware of his mortality at that time- feeling pretty unsteady. I still say there are untold stories from that record and that 33 1/3 needs to do a book on it.

"On and On and On" is literally the reason I got into Wilco in the first place. The moment when the organ line comes in over the inverted pyramid of guitar is one of the most sublime moments in the Wilco discography. I always get frustrated that the album on spotify ends with "Let's Not Get Carried Away" (even if I love that song) because it steals away the best closer the band ever made. 

"On and On and On" is literally the reason I got into Wilco in the first place. The moment when the organ line comes in over the inverted pyramid of guitar is one of the most sublime moments in the Wilco discography. I always get frustrated that the album on spotify ends with "Let's Not Get Carried Away" (even if I love that song) because it steals away the best closer the band ever made. 

I thoroughly enjoy "On and On and On" as well.  And "Everlasting Everything" gets way too much crap, probably because its tone is as directly cathartic and optimistic as any Wilco song ever gets.  

People might want to burn down my house for this, but my least favorite Wilco song is actually "A Shot in the Arm."  That's not saying that I hate or even thoroughly dislike that song, because I listen to every Wilco album from beginning to end, as they're meant to be listened to.  But that song is the one I'm least likely to sing along to for whatever reason.  Given that Wilco has recorded probably upwards of 200 songs, and only one of them turns into background music for me, that's pretty goddamned amazing for someone who's as much of a ridiculously picky music snob as I am  :headbonk

I thoroughly enjoy "On and On and On" as well. And "Everlasting Everything" gets way too much crap, probably because its tone is as directly cathartic and optimistic as any Wilco song ever gets.

For me the music and sentiments of both are perfectly enjoyable. What they both have are weak lyrics with trite rhymes. The sad, bad, you should be glad and the cry, die situation...

Anyway I'm glad you like it. I've never understood the impulse (mine or others) to explain to someone why something is bad. Who ever said, "I was thoroughly enjoying this, but now that you put it that way I'm not enjoying it. Thanks!"