Thoughts of a career on the decline.

I've always been a Wilco partisan in the great Uncle Tupelo schism war.

I know it's okay to be fans of both, and I am a fan of Son Volt, but Jeff is my guy.

My Male progeny (who moved into his first grownup, working man apartment) procured tickets a couple of weeks ago for what he called a "Red Dirt Country" show at the Verizon Center in Grand Prairie. 

I was asking him who was on the bill.

Turnpike Troubadors (a Texas Country Band), Slobberbone (a Denton Texas old school alt-country band) AND...

Wait for it...

Opening band...

Son Volt.

He got to see a really good show. But I can't help but feel that Jay has let his monomania and temperment derail what could have been a monster career.

I don't think Jay's career is on the decline. I think he is comfortable playing for the audience size that he has maintained and has no need to grow it further. I like in the respect that Son Volt plays 1000 capacity venues and smaller as it makes it more accessible. I am sure he is still making a nice living and gets to do what he wants creatively so I don't fault him for chugging along. I actually really enjoyed notes of blue and it was a great live show.

I saw him solo(kinda) maybe three years ago for $12. 400 people there tops. Was a great show, he was standing around afterwords by his merch talking with people. For an artist like him I don't know if a nightly bullshit sessions around the merch table are more satisfying then getting shuttled out of an arena into a waiting limo with a body guard. He never struck me as the arena type.