Oh how awful!

Such a young man!   :(

His 13-year old daughter was also in the helicopter. Unreal loss for their family. I wasn't alive when it happened, but I have read this feels similar to Roberto Clemente.

I am shocked at how little his rape allegation story is receiving as part of his obituary. A friend brought it up on Facebook and was slammed by people who were indignant about the Kavanaugh appointment. I don't get it. IIRC, the evidence against Bryant was pretty strong.

I am shocked at how little his rape allegation story is receiving as part of his obituary. A friend brought it up on Facebook and was slammed by people who were indignant about the Kavanaugh appointment. I don't get it. IIRC, the evidence against Bryant was pretty strong.

from what I heard the lady in question recanted her story.

from what I heard the lady in question recanted her story.

According to Wikipedia, she refused to testify in the criminal trial. That led to the dismissal of charges. A civil case was settled out of court. I can't blame a woman for not wanting to subject herself to the kind of cross-examination that would come from the type of defense attorneys Kobe could afford. 

Again, I don't mean to drag everybody down or shit on the dead, it's just most of the adulation I've seen poured out is so pure.

According to Wikipedia, she refused to testify in the criminal trial. That led to the dismissal of charges. A civil case was settled out of court. I can't blame a woman for not wanting to subject herself to the kind of cross-examination that would come from the type of defense attorneys Kobe could afford.

Again, I don't mean to drag everybody down or shit on the dead, it's just most of the adulation I've seen poured out is so pure.

Thanks for the clarification admiringly I never followed that story and was just saying what I recently heard.

This article from 2016 is a pretty good analysis of how the criminal case was resolved: https://www.thenation.com/article/society/wrestling-in-with-kobe-bryants-forgotten-apology/

I was never particularly a Kobe fan, but Dave Zirin is correct that an apology like this would be absolutely unthinkable today.  Kobe deserves credit for at least acknowledging the woman's feelings.

This article from 2016 is a pretty good analysis of how the criminal case was resolved: https://www.thenation.com/article/society/wrestling-in-with-kobe-bryants-forgotten-apology/

I was never particularly a Kobe fan, but Dave Zirin is correct that an apology like this would be absolutely unthinkable today.  Kobe deserves credit for at least acknowledging the woman's feelings.

Thanks for sharing that. Definitely adds some nuance to the situation.