Yea - back on topic.

I re-watched that so-called lost black and white 1970 film from Europe the other day. I love watching how Jerry answers those questions at that party or whatever it was. I wonder who that girl with the dark eye shadow is that was often seen taking photographs.

I think next to the Alligator Strat period my favorite Jerry sound is when he was playing that SG.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I listen to 2/13/70 this morning -- it's definitely a great one. 

Jonah is a good choice, but not sure how they'll handle the singing and guitar playing - dub in Jon Mayer? Not a fan of rock biopics, but Scorcese did some interesting things with the recent fictional

I like the interviews. It was quite something to listen to someone read the letters Pigpen wrote to his family.

Posted Images

I was listening to the latest season of the Deadcast and they were talking with some of the people from the Stanford AI lab.  After a minute I realized one of them is the dude who lives across the street from me.  He's away for a bit but I can't wait to see him when he gets back.  I had no idea about his involvement in early online Dead stuff.        

• 1 month later...

A tape of the late show of Garcia & Saunders (11/5/74) in NY where legend has that John Lennon attended has surfaced in the usual sites. You can hear John's voice commenting on the show!

Jerry Garcia's middle finger explains the thing

https://jgmf.blogspot.com/2023/01/between-bottom-lines-lennon-and-garcia.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The question above got me thinking about favorite songs.  Over the past few years, while working from home, I've been listening to more Dead than I have in a long time.  And almost all of the songs I go back to are Jerry songs: Bird Song, Dark Star, Scarlet>Fire, Morning Dew, Eyes of the World, Brokedown Palace, Ripple, Terrapin, Althea, Franklin's Tower, Friend of the Devil, China>Rider.

I don't mean to crap on Weir - I really like his guitar playing - but in thinking about my favorite Dead songs, almost none are his.  There are some I like: the Other One, Cassidy, Estimated.  

• Like 1
On 3/24/2023 at 4:53 PM, Oil Can Boyd said:

I don't mean to crap on Weir - I really like his guitar playing - but in thinking about my favorite Dead songs, almost none are his.  There are some I like: the Other One, Cassidy, Estimated.  

------------------------------

You don't like Jack Straw?

• 11 months later...

Wow - this thread as been Dead (ha!) for almost a year. 

And now I opening it back up with a Dead & Co bit (e-gads) ----- decided to head to Vegas to catch some shows (June 13, 14, and 15th).

When it was announced I was on the fence (not a big fan of Vegas at all, spent one day/night there in the late 90's and then drove out to the Grand Canyon for the 2 remaining nights of the trip) --- but decided to do something different this year.

That being said I am looking forward to seeing what this Sphere thing entails and such. 

I am glad Phish is testing the waters first -- I have seen plenty of people at shows on flat ground struggling to keep their bearings straight. I am somewhat fearful for some at the Sphere.

Was able to book a resort type place which is about a 5 minute walk to the venue  --- so logistically wise it is setting up to be a great weekend. I am not a gambler, so hanging at the pool will probably my main activity. I do see that they have an 'art's district' now and a tram -- so that will be cool to check out too. 

I don't care for the music of Dead and Co. But I imagine the video/lights in the sphere will be wild. Hoping they go with more classic imagery and psychedelia rather than the neo-hippie corporate cosplay they've turned the Dead's legacy into. Like, 360 degree Joshua Light Show, rather than dancing bears walking across the screen. 

I'm going to 1 phish show. Mixed feelings about how it will be musically, dreading a lot of newer material. But the spectacle should be something, they do like to go big. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2024 at 10:24 AM, Oil Can Boyd said:

China Rider Philadelphia 8/5/74

Great China Cat Rider or greatest China Cat Rider?

I just gave it a re-listen. Certainly a great version. I can never say any one version of a GD song is the best without listening to all of them lined up (except maybe the 2/13/70 Dark Star), but this one is certainly in the mix. This was the night before my first GD show at Roosevelt Stadium, a barn burner of a show for sure. I've always wanted a full release of 8/6/74, instead of the combo Dick's Picks with 8//5/74. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw three shows at the Sphere last week -- definitely worth the trip. A different type of crowd. The visuals were great - though they did repeat many over the three days. Musically - Weir vocals were great through out -- his guitar playing got better as the shows went on. The rest of the band sounded great through out the weekend.

The sound is definitely great -- not as loud - especially during a solo - as I was hoping, though. 

Don't think I will venture back any time soon. 

Still not a fan of Vegas -- the 110 degree temperatures did not help. 

One highlight was Weir sang Dylan's 'I'll Remember You' --- a 1st time played number -- it was my favorite part of the shows.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd go with 6/26/74 as best China>Rider ever. Really my favorite performance from their entire career. The only time they did an extended intro jam, and everything is just psychedelic perfection, particularly the feeling groovy transition jam, with Bob laying down some of his finest guitar work. Great show, Dicks Picks 12. Eyes encore.

https://archive.org/details/gd1974-06-26.140081.sbd.miller.patched.flac1644

• Like 1