Listening to the Denmark Deadcast -- the Empire/Newcastle was great. 

Last night I listened to the April 14, 1972 Copenhagen show -- one of my favorites from the tour. Pigpen shined. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I listen to 2/13/70 this morning -- it's definitely a great one. 

Jonah is a good choice, but not sure how they'll handle the singing and guitar playing - dub in Jon Mayer? Not a fan of rock biopics, but Scorcese did some interesting things with the recent fictional

I like the interviews. It was quite something to listen to someone read the letters Pigpen wrote to his family.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, worldrecordplayer said:

Seriously, I say that for everyone of these shows

Yeah - now I am listening to the Aarhus University from 4/16 - the most unique venue of the tour (a college cafeteria) - another favorite. Garcia's runs during El Paso are beautiful. 

1 hour ago, worldrecordplayer said:

Switching it up from E'72, just listened to Providence 9-15-73 on Sirius. Boy, those horns sound terrible. Get me back to E'72.

While I was at the Weir and the Wolf Pack show in Chicago last month, I kept of thinking of the 73 horn tour. The horns sounded great - it just took 50 years or so to get it to sound right.

That being said, I wouldn't mind an official 73 horn show release --- I would think they would be able to clean up the sound of the boards. Or maybe they tried and it is a lost cause.

I got away from 72 today and listened to Dave's 34 - June 23, 1974 / Jai-Alai Fronton in Miami, Florida.

Yeah - it's nice to finally have the whole Dark Star in the Pick. I haven't listened to that box in a long while. Gans did a good job on that one, I thought. 

The  Miami Jai-Alai Fronton had to be one of the funkier places the Dead has played.  From pictures it seemed so wide.

Just looked up the University of Leeds Refectory --- didn't realize it was a place like that (or I forgot) --- very similar to the Dead's 72  Aarhus University gig (another cafeteria).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 9:27 AM, calvino said:

Just looked up the University of Leeds Refectory --- didn't realize it was a place like that (or I forgot) --- very similar to the Dead's 72  Aarhus University gig (another cafeteria).

It is quite amazing that one of the greatest live albums of all time was recorded in a cafeteria. 

• 7 months later...
On 12/8/2022 at 9:31 PM, Doug C said:

I do not like the Grateful Dead. I do like many of their songs, especially when covered by other artists. I like some Dead studio versions, but have no interest in live performances. I definitely respect the songwriting, the playing is a different story. It’s nice that we can freely and respectfully share opinions at Via Chicago. Thank you.

Wrong thread? He he....

• Like 1

Clearly we are not all adults. 3, 2, 1...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Analogman said:

We get it - you don't like the Grateful Dead. You don't need to waste your time saying it over and over again. 

Why was the thread regarding the Fred & Wilco shut down?  It was a reasonable discussion (BTW I never said hate about anyone. I merely quoted a humorous take from Robert Pollard of Guided by Voices that I witnessed in person) until a party (bro man) from the Head side got all sensitive & OCD. I thought I had a valid question/observation about current Wilco trends.

I don't give a crap either way about discussing things ----- though I must admit the whole Fred thing is dumb and getting old -- but to each their own. It's just hard trying to have a legit discussion about about a band, when right off the bat someone is using a dumb name for the band - maybe use it once to prove your point, then move on.

The MSG set is decent thus far  - listened to first 81 show (10/9/81) and last show in the set (10/12/83). As expected, the sound quality is definitely not the best, due to the masters - but it definitely sounds ok. The liner notes thus far are great (David Fricke). Some cool interviews with the band from the period, that I was not familiar with.  I do have to place the book on a table while I read it -- it is a bulky fucker.

1 hour ago, calvino said:

I don't give a crap either way about discussing things ----- though I must admit the whole Fred thing is dumb and getting old -- but to each their own. It's just hard trying to have a legit discussion about about a band, when right off the bat someone is using a dumb name for the band - maybe use it once to prove your point, then move on.

The MSG set is decent thus far  - listened to first 81 show (10/9/81) and last show in the set (10/12/83). As expected, the sound quality is definitely not the best, due to the masters - but it definitely sounds ok. The liner notes thus far are great (David Fricke). Some cool interviews with the band from the period, that I was not familiar with.  I do have to place the book on a table while I read it -- it is a bulky fucker.

all sensitive & OCD

2 hours ago, chuckrh said:

Why was the thread regarding the Fred & Wilco shut down?  It was a reasonable discussion (BTW I never said hate about anyone. I merely quoted a humorous take from Robert Pollard of Guided by Voices that I witnessed in person) until a party (bro man) from the Head side got all sensitive & OCD. I thought I had a valid question/observation about current Wilco trends.

We don't need it - move on - you are 20 years late. I myself used to spend a lot of time going on and on about how much I hated certain bands. It does not do anyone any good. Talk about what you do like. 

16 minutes ago, Analogman said:

We don't need it - move on - you are 20 years late. I myself used to spend a lot of time going on and on about how much I hated certain bands. It does not do anyone any good. Talk about what you do like. 

You're hardly impartial & if you bother to read my original post it was totally Wilco related. I wasn't battling with anyone & we actually had a good discussion going on about my original question/observation. It just irked me (& others) that the thread was arbitrarily closed for no apparent reason. So it's ok to have an opinion only if you agree with it? Doesn't seem right. It's kind of one of those who died & made you God questions (1 of my favorite lines!). :D

Analogman (these names!, but I digress), why did you lock that thread? Nothing untoward occurred. If a mod/admin is going to lock a thread, the proper thing would be to state why you did it. No one would have said anything negative about the Holy Dead in the Grateful Dead thread if you had not locked that thread. Simple.

You cannot get up in arms about posts here that are not Dead genuflective when you played a role in their happening. What silly situation.

• Like 1

Please reread the thread. The thread creator, I believe the cool kids refer to it as ‘’OP’’, did not ‘’trash a band’’. They asked people for their opinion on Wilco covering the Dead and a Dead influence in recent recordings. Any ‘’trashing’’ was mild and humorous at worst and mainly occurred as a reaction to Dead fans overreactions. As for myself, I have not ‘’trashed’’ the Dead. I said I like their songs, songwriting, musicianship and some studio performances, but do not like their live performances. ‘’Jamming’’ does not interest me. I also said that I love when other bands I love cover the Dead. If that’s ‘’trashing’’, please cite the dictionary you use to define ‘’trashing’’. I believe that if you had left that thread open, a few more posts would have happened until the thread ran it’s course. End of. But because you apparently did not appreciate the conversation, you locked the thread, which lead to the nonsense in this thread. 

People still post here. My son-in-law gifting my wife and I a Solid Sound trip caused me to return after a lengthy spell of disinterest. That lead to other posts about new bands I’m into, politics, hearing a cool bluegrass band cover Wilco, etc. Just like I did years ago. 

I appreciate the dialogue regarding this issue. If you or someone starts an appropriate thread or you open up the original, I might contribute. Otherwise I’ll never post in the Grateful Dead thread again. Good day to you.

• Like 1