Wilco — 23 April 2022, Chicago, IL (Auditorium Theatre) [Night 2 of 3]

Oops, forgot to start a thread for this one. Probably 99 percent of people who would care either were there in person or watched on the live stream, so you pretty much got the idea.

But anyhow, here was the complete setlist as played for Night 2 in Chicago (either The Magnificent Strings and Total Pros horns or both were present on stage for entire set, though strings and horns did not play on every song):

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Kamera

Radio Cure

War On War

Jesus, etc.

Ashes Of American Flags

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Pot Kettle Black

Poor Places

Reservations

---------------------------------------

Be Not So Fearful [Bill Fay]

Pieholden Suite

Cars Can't Escape

A Magazine Called Sunset

Hummingbird

The Good Part

I Got You (At The End Of The Century)>

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

• Like 1

I was going to watch "casually" as I had a bunch of paperwork to get done. Not a chance. I sat glued to my computer chair, mentally inside the Auditorium Theatre with that rapturous audience, for the entire show, paperwork untouched. Enthralling. Swept me right back to seeing them for the very first time in March, 2002. the songs sounded fresh and as magical as when they were new. :wub

• Like 1

I went to two of the YHF anniversary shows, this being my second. Both were spectacular. Hard to pick out any one moment, but one that really stuck out to me was Poor Places. I loved the way Jeff conducted the ending of it ... reminded me of how Misunderstood ends. 

Also, I may be turning into the old man who yells at kids at kids on his lawn. There was a younger guy, early 30s, probably, who was singing his head off and yelled out his love for Jeff at several points during the concert. I didn't come there to hear the guy behind me sing along to Wilco songs. I came there to see and hear Wilco perform YHF. As distracting as he was, I still enjoyed myself, as did my son, who was at is third or fourth Wilco show with me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really enjoyed the performance, watched via the livestream.  The direction of the livestream video, however, was terrible.  There'd be a horn part, and the cameras would be in a closeup on Jeff or Nels.  There'd be a closeup on the horn players, standing with their instruments at their sides.  There were constant shots from the very top and back of the theater.  The cameras would zoom in or out or pan at odd moments.  It was a visual trainwreck accompanying an aural treasure.  I still couldn't tell you if the outro to "Reservations" was played like by Pat or Michael (or both) or fed in prerecorded, because at no point could we see what either one of them was doing.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Brian F. said:

I still couldn't tell you if the outro to "Reservations" was played like by Pat or Michael (or both) or fed in prerecorded, because at no point could we see what either one of them was doing.

It was recorded. 

on the first night, I admit I was slightly disappointed in it being a recording. Especially since it was “live” (looped) when they did it at solid sound. 

But on the second and third night, I definitely think that the band all standing there solemnly with that gorgeous lighting and the “pristine” recorded version was indeed the perfect ending for the show. It was quite breathtaking really. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, theashtraysays said:

It was recorded. 

on the first night, I admit I was slightly disappointed in it being a recording. Especially since it was “live” (looped) when they did it at solid sound. 

But on the second and third night, I definitely think that the band all standing there solemnly with that gorgeous lighting and the “pristine” recorded version was indeed the perfect ending for the show. It was quite breathtaking really. 

It really, really was. I was almost teary-eyed, it was that sublime.

20 hours ago, Brian F. said:

I really enjoyed the performance, watched via the livestream.  The direction of the livestream video, however, was terrible.  There'd be a horn part, and the cameras would be in a closeup on Jeff or Nels.  There'd be a closeup on the horn players, standing with their instruments at their sides.  There were constant shots from the very top and back of the theater.  The cameras would zoom in or out or pan at odd moments.  It was a visual trainwreck accompanying an aural treasure. 

I said the same thing to my wife. I was genuinely aggravated, to the point of being removed from the moment, when there were no shots (none!) of JT playing the solo in ITMWLY. I couldn't believe it! I'm sounding outraged because it was a moment I was anticipating, but I got over it (just now, after reading how I sound).

Speaking from experience in broadcast and live video, many times a production will use remote cameras that are operated from the control deck/room, using actual joysticks. So, that accounts for the odd movement from time to time and that's understandable. However, somebody is literally calling the shots and often times, usually in a setting where the AV crew isn't part of the band's crew (this happens on ACL even), it's clear that person does not know the performance details necessary to keep up, or call it accurately. It can be maddening. I also understand there are sometimes circumstances beyond control (human error, budget..in regards to the use of the remotes, etc.).

Whatever, though.

This was a joy to see and hear, to experience, even if it was over a stream. We certainly were affected emotionally and spiritually. This music not only evokes memories and feelings from the past, that means something different for everyone. It's also proven to stand as a work that continues to have a meaningful impact on listeners, over a long period of time...passing the test of time, I'd say. It was a beautiful gesture by Wilco.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...