Best of Luck, Florida!

Hurricane Ian is getting quite the build-up. It sounds as if it could be massive in terms of wind, storm surge, and heavy rainfall. If some of you are there, I hope you can either evacuate or batten down the hatches, hard. MSahno? You be safe!

I hope the storm turns out to be a dud, totally overblown...best to everyone in its path.

• Like 1

Dana and I had just started our weeklong vacation on Sanibel Island on Saturday... Sunday was fabulous as was Monday morning!!

Today (Tuesday) AM they declared mandatory evacuation so we skedaddled up to St. Augustine - will overnight here (and then Asheville tomorrow) on our way on back to Kentucky. 

Sigh...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, theashtraysays said:

Dana and I had just started our weeklong vacation on Sanibel Island on Saturday... Sunday was fabulous as was Monday morning!!

Today (Tuesday) AM they declared mandatory evacuation so we skedaddled up to St. Augustine - will overnight here (and then Asheville tomorrow) on our way on back to Kentucky. 

Sigh...

Glad you got out ok.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, chuckrh said:

Glad you got out ok.

Thanks. 
It was a little surreal as we were leaving. Lots of folks on the public beach filling sandbags. Lotta plywood going up.  Lines at gas stations, and then later along the drive most gas stations were already out of gas. 
then today as we’re driving up I95 through GA and SC we are seeing tons of the electrical bucket trucks heading south. We counted for a while and it averaged one every 30 seconds. 
The area we were at is getting hit pretty hard. Lotta water coming in. 

• Sad 1

Watching the coverage for the first time as a Washingtonian instead of a Floridian, is definitely a different experience. It’s odd to still receive texts from the Tampa and Hillsborough emergency management regarding evacuation updates and such. Again, a projected hit for Tampa, my old hometown, shifts. Happy for family and friends still living there, but terrible destruction for so many a couple hours to the south. Very sad. 

I saw an interview with the Sarasota (a city to the north of Ft. Myers, out of the worst of it) Emergency Chief on CBS Mornings. He said, “We were blessed”, then talked about “destruction to the south”. I so wished Gayle King had replied, “So you are implying that the destroyed areas to the south of Sarasota were forsaken by God?” But I’m sure she agrees.

Then it got worse! Tony (another member of the studio team) was talking to the Charlotte County emergency chief and said “It’s only by the grace of God” how some areas weren’t hit. My head exploded. This is a professional journalist telling tragedy stricken people God showed them no mercy. 

I’ve been an atheist for over 45 years, but if I wasn’t, I know I wouldn’t say ridiculous insulting things.

• Sad 1