Finom (formerly Ohmme) new album produced by Jeff

I suppose most folks on here will be aware of Finom, featuring Sima Cunningham and Macie Stewart (who used to be called Ohmme but had to change their name) and that their new album 'Not God' was produced by Jeff and features Spencer on drums.

It's really worth checking out - in fact it's Finomenal!  It's a brilliant selection of songs, all killer, etc, etc. It's probably the most 'rock' album Jeff has produced in a long time, some of the guitar sounds are epic.

One track will be of particular interest to VCers - 'Hungry' riffs very very close to 'Spiders' throughout and rocks accordingly.  You could even consider it a 'hommage' to the Wilco song.  Or is that an 'Ohmmage'?   

*gets coat*

lol, this is the second time they have had to change their name... don't they know discogs exists?

Not God is theoretically the debut album from Finom because they've recently had to legally change their name from Ohmme (a name they pivoted to when they had to legally change their name from HOMME some years ago).

3 hours ago, 50footqueenie said:

One track will be of particular interest to VCers - 'Hungry' riffs very very close to 'Spiders' throughout and rocks accordingly.  You could even consider it a 'hommage' to the Wilco song.  Or is that an 'Ohmmage'?   

*gets coat*

I noticed that right away too. At first I scoffed a little but the intense delivery and the fact that Wilco did not invent (didn't pretend to) this type of song, won me over.

The album as a whole: the lead single had me all but write off the effort. It felt like a vapid, hipster dance song. This is why I shouldn't listen to lead singles because my impression was all wrong. This is easily the most realized piece of music from those two. A very nuanced, captivating album. Hurrah.

This is one of my top two or three favorite current bands, but this one is a little spotty for me, mostly due to the sequencing.  I think the opening and closing tracks are the clear weak links here.  The opening track starts fun, but is aggressively repetitive and overly long.  It's kind of a chore to get through it and move on to the rest of the album, which is much more rewarding.  Then the last song is a little too Lilith Fair for my tastes.

Lot of cool stuff on here, though.  I feel like to an extent, Tweedy Wilco-ized them, which is kind of an odd to me since this band is one that delivers to me what Wilco albums used to but haven't in years.  In that way, it feels like a step backwards for Finom.  If you want to know what a top-tier Wilco album would sound like with way better singing,  look no further.

Really enjoyed this album, but I am probably a little biased as I've known Sima since high school. My buddy Tully is also in their music video for Cyclops.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, nalafej said:

The album's great. Going to see them perform it for the 3rd time tonight!

Are they performing live as a three piece still?  I've seen some pics of a bass player on their Instagram page, but couldn't tell if that was someone playing with them, or someone from an opening band.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jff said:

Are they performing live as a three piece still?  I've seen some pics of a bass player on their Instagram page, but couldn't tell if that was someone playing with them, or someone from an opening band.

That’s VV Lightbody, who is a great artist as well. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chisoxjtrain said:

That’s VV Lightbody, who is a great artist as well. 

VV's been playing bass, flute and adding vocals on all (almost all) shows since a year or two ago. It was pretty cool to see Sima and Macie shredding the hell out of their guitars on Hungry last night while Spencer and VV kept up the "Now I only feed MYSELF" vocals.

51 minutes ago, nalafej said:

VV's been playing bass, flute and adding vocals on all (almost all) shows since a year or two ago. It was pretty cool to see Sima and Macie shredding the hell out of their guitars on Hungry last night while Spencer and VV kept up the "Now I only feed MYSELF" vocals.

Oh cool.  I haven't seen them since they were touring for Parts, and figured they'd need more musicians in order to perform their newer material.