Wilco — 28 June 2024, North Adams, MA (Mass MoCA) [Solid Sound Festival; Day 1 of 3]

There was no The Unwelcome Guest. Bah humbug. Good job I never made the trip then, though Venus and Quiet Amplifier could have been worth the admission. I invite, nay implore, Bbop to fill us in with some details at a time of his choosing. Not a bad stab at the advertised deepcuts offering. Chapeau Wilco.

Via setlist.fm (don't know how accurate their dates are either)

.    One Sunday Morning (first time since 2014)
    .    Message From Mid-Bar (first time since 2014)
    .    The Good Part
    .    Cold Slope
    .    King of You
    .    Feed of Man (Billy Bragg & Wilco cover) (first time since 2014)
    .    Deeper Down (first time since 2014)
    .    A Magazine Called Sunset
    .    Blue Eyed Soul (first time since 2014)
    .    Sonny Feeling (first time since 2010)
    .    Sunloathe
    .    Panthers (first time since 2015)
    .    Camera (first time since 2016)

.    Dark Neon (first time since 2015)
    .    More Like the Moon (first time since 2014)
    .    Secret of the Sea (Billy Bragg & Wilco cover)
    .    ELT
    .    Venus Stopped the Train (live debut)
    .    Bob Dylan's 49th Beard (first time since 2015)
    .    Just Say Goodbye (first time since 2015)
    .    Quiet Amplifier (live debut)
    .    Wilco (The Song)
    .    Encore:
    .    Let's Not Get Carried Away (first time since 2015)
    .    Kicking Television
    .    Just a Kid (first time since 2014)
    .    Tell Your Friends (live debut)

• Like 3

Had a great time at this set. Glad I decided to make the trip, and was nice to be back at Solid Sound for maybe my 6th time. Having been at 12/12/14, it was kinda funny that a handful of songs were last played on that night (and honestly the main reason I knew some of them.) Electric ELT has been my big white whale for 15 years at this point, so was really great to see that, but I also just love when bands challenge themselves to do something different/difficult, so had a lot of fun in general. 

Anybody else think the set sounded pretty terrible? At least where I was, it was almost entirely drums and bass. All the guitars were pretty hard to hear....

I taped, so will line that up with the radio broadcast and post a little later

I didn't notice any issues with the sound.

On the one hand, I felt like they could have gone deeper. I thought they really leaned into the EPs, and I don't think of those songs as deep cuts necessarily. In fact, "Woodgrain" is probably the deepest cut from More Like the Moon and they didn't play that one. I was really hoping for more of the "played-fewer-than-five-times" songs, a la "Sunloathe" (which was played, and sounded gorgeous). And "Quiet Amplifier," a song that is not a favorite from an album that is not a favorite, was quite good in the live setting.

Having seen them not only many, many  times, but also spanning their whole career from 1995 to present, I did come away impressed that they managed to play 13 songs-- fully half the set-- that I had never seen them play before. I saw them twice on the A.M. tour-- excuse me, the I Must Be High TOUR-- but there were three A.M. tracks I had never seen prior to Friday, and they played one of them, "Blue Eyed Soul." Jeff altered the vocal line on that one so it didn't quite land as I would have hoped. Still waiting on "I Thought I Held You" and "Dash 7." I expect I'll keep waiting, especially for the former.

"Secret of the Sea" was tuned way up for some reason. It sounded like it might have been a full step up. It bordered on being above the range of my hearing. I love that song-- it might be my favorite Mermaid Avenue track-- but it sounded weird. And then it was followed by "ELT," a song that's already in an upper register and sounded like it might also have been tuned up a half-step. Usually, as artists get older, they tune things down because the high parts are harder to reach, so these were interesting choices.

I was surprised to see that "One Sunday Morning (A Song for Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)" had not been played since 2014. Perhaps since Jeff plays this one solo often-- or at least it seems like it to me-- I thought of it as more of a live staple. I definitely did not think of it as a deep cut and, when they opened with it, I thought, "This night might not go the way I was hoping." I kind of felt that way until they went into "Blue Eyed Soul." Perhaps it was a deep cut because it was the full twelve-minute version?

4 hours ago, Brian F. said:

"Secret of the Sea" was tuned way up for some reason. It sounded like it might have been a full step up. It bordered on being above the range of my hearing. I love that song-- it might be my favorite Mermaid Avenue track-- but it sounded weird. And then it was followed by "ELT," a song that's already in an upper register and sounded like it might also have been tuned up a half-step. Usually, as artists get older, they tune things down because the high parts are harder to reach, so these were interesting choices.

This piqued my curiosity because as you mentioned, older artists tend to bring things down for their aging voices if anything. Someone posted the stream and I was pumped to hear some unheard live versions. While I was at it I peeped the two you mentioned and they did "Secret of the Sea" in C (ha!) and "ELT" in B. Both the same as the album versions. Maybe we're just getting used to Jeff singing lower and quieter these days so those pre Y2K tunes just sound really high in contrast.

Or, more likely, I'm just not nearly as musically astute as I like to pretend I am. (Either that or this is the first sign of the damage I've done to my hearing after 30 years of rock shows.)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

O Bbop, Bbop, wherefore art thou Bbop?

He was last seen boarding a flight to see Tay Tay in the Netherlands with Johann Cruyff...

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

O Bbop, Bbop, wherefore art thou Bbop?

My surmise is that he conscientiously tried several times over the weekend to file his reports, only to find that the site was down, and now that the site's back up, he's in Toronto for the next shows and not quite sure how to convert his reviews to metric.

EDIT: I just realized that I totally misread this question. You're actually asking, "Why is he bbop?" That's beyond my ken.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One of their greatest ever sets in my experience. Jeff was loving it "These are difficult songs to play". Sound was extraordinarily good and they nailed pretty much everything. The odd mistake was endearing and to be expected when they hadn't played most of the songs in 10 years (Jeff said 20). 3 absolute highlights, but it was all a highlight.

Venus 

Sunloathe

Kicking

Tell Your Friends was extraordinarily moving for me also.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, 50footqueenie said:

He was last seen boarding a flight to see Tay Tay in the Netherlands with Johann Cruyff...

Swoon . . . (For Cruyff not ol' scary thighs).

• Like 2