The Saint Genevieve Fund

final total: $2000.00 :thumbup

Shortly after Natalie's death, Kate (Reni) contacted a few of us via PM and e-mail, to discuss making a donation from the VC community in memory of Nat. After some discussion, we decided that a donation to Planned Parenthood in Austin, where Natalie volunteered, would be an appropriate remembrance and would also honor her family's wishes.

We would like to send the donations in one packet, to the extent possible, to represent that this gift comes from all of us here who will miss Natalie so terribly. She played a big part in making VC a true community, so we feel that making a combined gift from all us will express that to some small extent.

We also recognize that everyone has different financial and logistical situations, which will affect how they can/would prefer to donate. So we've put together a few options, feel free to choose whichever one works best for you.

1. If you'd like to send a check to me, made out to Planned Parenthood TCR, I will collect them for the next month or so, and then mail them to Planned Parenthood with a note explaining that this combined gift comes from friends of Natalie. If you'd like to do this, please PM me and I'll send you my address.

2. I can accept PayPal from a checking account, at maudiemc@linuxmail.org (that e-mail isn't good for anything else, so don't try to e-mail me there). I'll collect everything that comes in to this account and get a money order made out to Planned Parenthood, to include with the checks.

3. We can also accept PayPal from a credit or debit card through an account set up specifically for this purpose, at thesaintgenevievefund@gmail.com. Note that payments sent to this account will be subject to processing fees. Contributions to this account will also be put on the money order to Planned Parenthood.

4. Anyone who'd prefer to do so can donate directly to Planned Parenthood. We do ask that you attach a note to your donation to indicate that this gift is in honor of Natalie Jacobs.

Donations to Planned Parenthood are tax deductible. So for anything sent directly to them or any checks which come to me and which I send on to them, you'll probably get a receipt from the organization, or will at least have your cancelled check as a receipt. I don't believe that contributions sent through PayPal will meet the criteria, so if that's an issue for you, a check may be a better option (or if anyone who knows anything about tax laws can confirm or deny what I've posted here, please do so).

For anything you send to me, or through either of the PayPal accounts, please include your VC screen name so that we can PM you and let you know we received it. We'll keep a running tally posted in this thread so that we can see how generous we're all being :yes , but of course all donation amounts will be kept confidential.

Oh, and let's set a cut-off date of March 15. If everyone who'd like to contribute can get their donations in by then, we'll send everything in that following week.

Also: some of the craftier VCers have been knitting preemie hats to send to a children's hospital in Portland. Anyone who'd like to contribute to that cause as well, check out this thread.

I hope I've covered everything here. Let us know if you've got any questions or concerns.

Thanks so much, Maudie!

As for donations of baby items to the hospital in Portland, they don't have to be hand-crafted. They need lots of new baby items - clothing, blankets, hats, booties, etc. We're not gathering the baby items; feel free to send them on your own with a note that it's in honor of Natalie Jacobs.

Thanks everyone!

I like to note that this thread hasn't even been open 6 hours (and most of the west coast isn't even awake yet, but I've got a plane to catch ;) ), and we've already got $215! Nice work, you guys!

Between what's already come in through PayPal, and people who've PM'd me and told me what they're going to mail in, we're up to $840. :o VC kicks some major ass, y'all. Let's shoot for $1000 in the first 24 hours!

OK, so this isn't like a PBS pledge drive. One of the reasons we're leaving this open for (at least) a month is because I know some people won't have the cash right away, will want to wait for their next paycheck or their tax return or whatever. But it's just great to be off to such an impressive start.

:worship

Wow, I am really touched by the generousity of this community. Natalie would be very honored. I am going to pass this link on to Natalie's family :).

I also wanted to mention that Natalie's sister will be setting up a scholarship fund at the Birthingway College that Natalie attended in Portland for her friends and colleagues to donate to in her honor. The details are still being worked out, but I can post them here in the future if people are interested.

Wow, I am really touched by the generousity of this community. Natalie would be very honored. I am going to pass this link on to Natalie's family :).

I also wanted to mention that Natalie's sister will be setting up a scholarship fund at the Birthingway College that Natalie attended in Portland for her friends and colleagues to donate to in her honor. The details are still being worked out, but I can post them here in the future if people are interested.

Thanks for passing it on, Mel. I was hoping we'd be able to let Nat's family know about this.

And we'd definitely like to hear more about the scholarship fund. We discussed doing something along those same lines, but decided that logistically, this made more sense for VC. Would be great if folks could contribute something there, as well (either/both... whatever!).

Hi guys,

Natalie's sister has set up a scholarship fund in honor of Natalie at Birthingway College of Midwifery in Portland, the school Natalie attended.

If you are interested in making a donation, checks can be made out to Birthingway College of Midwifery. You can send in checks individually, just be sure to include a note with your check (on the memo line of the check or a sticky note) that states something like, "for scholarship in honor of Natalie Jacobs."

The address is:

Rhonda Ray, Student Affairs Coordinator

Birthingway College of Midwifery

12113 SE Foster Road

Portland, OR 97266

Please pass this along to anyone who may be interested in making a donation in her honor.

We also appreciate all of the donations that have been made in her honor to Planned Parenthood - her sister will be making a donation to them as well.

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for this information. My inability to face Nat's passing before now precluded me from participating in the VC donation. It's sort of kept me from participating on VC at all. I know that's dumb but grief is just another aspect of life I don't handle well.

Again, thank you. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to contribute to Natalie's scholarship fund. It makes me, (and my world), feel a little less empty.

Still, it breaks my heart to say it.

Bye Natalie.

Natalie would love this. It's another way to keep her memory alive in the communities that she cared about... I believe that we all carry a little piece of her spirit in our hearts.

I know I can't really "bump" a pinned thread, but in case this had slipped anyone's mind, I just wanted to toss a new post into it, for folks who check out recently-updated threads. I've updated the total we've collected so far ($1200), but we're still accepting donations, for another ten days or so at least. Thanks very much to all who've contributed so far. :cheekkiss

Also, for anyone who missed it, please check out Mel's post above, about a scholarship being set up by Natalie's sister, at her midwifery school. Another great cause which could use your support. :thumbup