Going to Chicago....what to do, see, stay, etc.

I think that I should add here that Oak Park is a pretty nifty little place just west of the city.

It was home to both Frank Lloyd Wright and Ernest Hemmingway, and there are plenty of things in that little town that should keep you busy for the day... Unity Temple (where I am now a member), Frank Lloyd Wright home & studio, and a couple of Papa's haunts. Also, the downtown area there has several good little restaurants.

Okay.

Thanks.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that I should add here that Oak Park is a pretty nifty little place just west of the city.

It was home to both Frank Lloyd Wright and Ernest Hemmingway, and there are plenty of things in that little town that should keep you busy for the day... Unity Temple (where I am now a member), Frank Lloyd Wright home & studio, and a couple of Papa's haunts. Also, the downtown area there has several good little restaurants.

Okay.

Thanks.

Oak Park is the one place I know a little something about in Chicago. It is pretty cool.

I'm arriving in the fine city of Chicago on Thursday, October 9. I'm pretty much counting on Louie being there at baggage claim and guiding me around town.

:lol :rock Probably not going to happen, but if I am at the Bottom Lounge, etc. (is 2 cow playing that weekend) a beer is forthcoming.

Excellent suggestion regarding Oak Park. Very cool place and plenty of tourist stuff and shopping out there. Not far from Fitzgerald's either.

LouieB

:lol :rock Probably not going to happen, but if I am at the Bottom Lounge, etc. (is 2 cow playing that weekend) a beer is forthcoming.

Excellent suggestion regarding Oak Park. Very cool place and plenty of tourist stuff and shopping out there. Not far from Fitzgerald's either.

LouieB

Two Cow Garage is playing with Drag the River on Saturday the...whatever that day is. I'll be the guy slow dancing with skyflynn...come say hi.

Two Cow Garage is playing with Drag the River on Saturday the...whatever that day is. I'll be the guy slow dancing with skyflynn...come say hi.
skyflynn is coming to Chicago?? :lol There will be a large VC contingent there.

LouieB

I have to say as a new person to this board and a somewhat new person to Wilco - this is a godsend. For many years I have wanted to visit Chicago. Wilco really cemented this and now its no longer a want to but rather a when. My new bride doesn't understand the fixation, and sometimes I don't either, but it certainly is a place that draws. Kinda like Robert Hunter explaining the allure of England and then going over there with the Dead and writing three classic tunes (Brokedown Palace, and I forget the others). The ultimate would be to catch my first show of Wilco's there. I am on the lookout everyday.

The posts here make me want to book a flight now. Thanks for all the info. Printing it out and saving it. Thanks.

Matty

www.myspace.com/mattylyons1

www.myspace.com/breezygrass

I was asked to start a thread after a small disagreement on yet another thread on what to do in Chicago.

Hi Lou (and everyone else!),

I'm new here and per LouieB's request, I'm posting the info on a nice little hotel in the Lake View section on the North Side of Chicago. It's called The Willows and it's at 555 W. Surf. It ain't cheap (although we did get a nice break on the price through priceline.com) but it is nice, clean, friendly, and in a killer location. It's about 2 blocks from the Days Inn on Diversey and a little over a mile from Wrigley. We were in town for the recent Hideout Block Party (a great time that I highly recommend). It was about a 20-minute car ride. And it was only about a 10-minute walk to the lake!

In any case Lou, it's too bad we didn't hook up last time but the next time Wilco plays Tanglewood let's meet!

-Glenn

The posts here make me want to book a flight now. Thanks for all the info. Printing it out and saving it. Thanks.
Come on out....just move here..what the hell.... :thumbup

Hi Lou (and everyone else!),

I'm new here and per LouieB's request, I'm posting the info on a nice little hotel in the Lake View section on the North Side of Chicago. It's called The Willows and it's at 555 W. Surf.

In any case Lou, it's too bad we didn't hook up last time but the next time Wilco plays Tanglewood let's meet!

-Glenn

Glenn thanks for posting up. Long story about meetng up with some other folks from out east that I stayed with prior to the Tanglewood show from meeting on the sidewalk at the Residency. Who said the internet is a weird and dangerous place??? :lol

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm no Chicago expert by any means, but I strongly recommend anyone visiting to get a burger at Kuma's Corner (on W. Belmont) if you have the chance. It probably helps if you have an appreciation for all things METAL as the burgers are named after metal bands, but honestly it's so good that doesn't even matter. And I guess they blast metal over the speakers most of the time, but I sat on the patio where it was nice and quiet (and cool).

my husband & I were in Chicago this summer for our Honeymoon. We instantly fell in love with the city.

We did alot of tourist-y stuff, but as you noted Louie, there is so much more to check out. We will definitely be back.

Also, seeing the buildings from YHF cover was pretty special to me (sorry, don't know what they are actually called)

We used to have a thread about stuff to do in Chicago. Not sure what happened to it.

You should go see Gary Louris at Old Town School.

Excellent idea, but try the late show since the early one is probably sold out (but maybe not...) I had a ticket up until an hour ago, but I gave it away.....edit....there seem to be tix for the early show too....great place to see a show...

LouieB

I'm no Chicago expert by any means, but I strongly recommend anyone visiting to get a burger at Kuma's Corner (on W. Belmont) if you have the chance. It probably helps if you have an appreciation for all things METAL as the burgers are named after metal bands, but honestly it's so good that doesn't even matter. And I guess they blast metal over the speakers most of the time, but I sat on the patio where it was nice and quiet (and cool).

the music is the only good thing about this place. the food and beer are way overpriced, and the quality of service leaves a lot to be desired.