Photo

Going to Chicago....what to do, see, stay, etc.

• Please log in to reply
387 replies to this topic

#41 LouieB

LouieB

On & On & On

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,238 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:15 AM

I've never been to Albany Park and had no idea what it had to offer. One of the great things about this city -- I've only been here a few years but I think I will discover new neighborhoods with great restaurants and shops pretty much forever.

By the way, Lou, are you going to P4K? Haven't seen you in a long time.

At the moment I am. I am so luke warm you never know.

Albany Park is a fun neighborhood, but not so much for those looking for a tourist type experience. But if you want to check out a myriad of ethnic type stuff, it is the place to be. It is alot like Uptown, but without the tension between the rehabbers and group homes and street people. In fact at this point the ethnic mix in Albany Park is far greater than Uptown and the dining opportunties and grocery stores more diverse as well.

LouieB

#42 ction

ction

On & On & On

• 9,562 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

I'm going to see shows at the Doubledoor, Bottom Lounge, and Congress in October. I'm really looking forward to the trip.

#43 ccsooner

ccsooner

A Cherry Ghost

• 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

Wow! This is the mother lode for the Chicago tourist. Thanks Louie! I think it's pretty cool that the best information i've found for my upcoming trip is on the messageboard for my favorite band. Good stuff.

So yeah, my wife and I are dropping the kiddos at the grandparents and spending next Monday through Thursday in Chicago. Neither of us have been before, so we're REALLY excited. (and finally, a honeymoon of sorts after 14 years together)

We're going to catch the cubs Monday night for sure and probably Wednesday afternoon which won't leave us a tremendous amount of time to explore, but we're going to do our best. We're already booked at a downtown hotel but obviously we can get wherever we need to via mass transit. (an alien notion out here in Oklahoma).

If anyone knows of good shows happening next week, local or otherwise, please post here or PM or whatever. Our plans are still pretty fluid.

I think i've been talked out of the art institute, but we will do a boat tour, the magnificent mile, millennium park and i'll spend some time comparing the recommended clubs here with the reader and sample some myspaces.

Thanks to "all y'all" for the good tips!

cc

#44 myboyblue

myboyblue

On & On & On

• 8,859 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

I'd recommend Martin Zellar at Schubas on Tuesday. Great club, great sound, very good food.

Tuesday 8/5/2008 9:00 PM 21+ $15.00
Martin Zellar
Hugo

Critically acclaimed for his riveting portrayals of real-life drama, singer-songwriter Martin Zellar gracefully continues on a musical path he began while leading the legendary Gear Daddies. Martin has since moved on, leaving the drunken nights behind, but holding on to the stories, memories and faces that flow through his most memorable work. Martin�s performances, either as an acoustic duo or with his band, The Hardways, transcend the labels of rock or country and settle warmly into the category of fine, well crafted songwriting.

#45 LouieB

LouieB

On & On & On

• 19,238 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:34 AM

Wow! This is the mother lode for the Chicago tourist. Thanks Louie! I think it's pretty cool that the best information i've found for my upcoming trip is on the messageboard for my favorite band. Good stuff.

So yeah, my wife and I are dropping the kiddos at the grandparents and spending next Monday through Thursday in Chicago. Neither of us have been before, so we're REALLY excited. (and finally, a honeymoon of sorts after 14 years together)

We're going to catch the cubs Monday night for sure and probably Wednesday afternoon which won't leave us a tremendous amount of time to explore, but we're going to do our best. We're already booked at a downtown hotel but obviously we can get wherever we need to via mass transit. (an alien notion out here in Oklahoma).

If anyone knows of good shows happening next week, local or otherwise, please post here or PM or whatever. Our plans are still pretty fluid.

I think i've been talked out of the art institute, but we will do a boat tour, the magnificent mile, millennium park and i'll spend some time comparing the recommended clubs here with the reader and sample some myspaces.

Thanks to "all y'all" for the good tips!

cc

There is so much stuff going on even on weeknights that it is unbelievable. Going to Schubas on Tuesday as myboyblue suggests is a perfectly good idea since no matter who plays there, Schubas is a great place to go; relatively cheap drinks, good food in the restaurant and a nice room. Tuesday's at the Hideout with Devil in a Woodpile is always fun as well. Again check this Reader and reference people's ideas on which clubs are fun. You can and should PM me or anyone else from here to ask for additional suggestions.

The Cubs sit in the middle of a fairly interesting (if somewhat homogenious) neighborhood, with lots of bars and restaurants. The Gingerman used to be one of my faves up the street from Wrigley and Uncommon Ground is a nice coffee house and restaurant a block north of that. There are even some book stores (although it appears few of the residents of the hood read) and some great Japanese food at Mastuyas (did I get the name right). You can dine on cheap or expensive food in Wrigleyville. Just walking up and down Clark, Sheffield, etc may give you time to explore something, and definitely take the el to the game and mingle with the rest of the fans, its a trip and a half.

Have fun and spend lots of money....

LouieB

#46 LouieB

LouieB

On & On & On

• 19,238 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:44 AM

Remember all you Lolla goers, it is gonna be hot and humid out there this weekend.....drink plenty of water and put on lots of sunscreen.

LouieB

#47 myboyblue

myboyblue

On & On & On

• 8,859 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

steppenwolf theatre. Whatever they are showing. Went again tonight and was amazed at the talent.

#48 LouieB

LouieB

On & On & On

• 19,238 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

steppenwolf theatre. Whatever they are showing. Went again tonight and was amazed at the talent.

Good to see someone talk about the theater scene here. It is one of the top attractions of Chicago and home to amazing talents.

LouieB

#49 LouieB

LouieB

On & On & On

• 19,238 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

Although it has been dissed on the other thread about it, the Hideout Block Party is still one of the coolest events for the hipster crowd in Chicago. Even at the exorbitant $25 a day (its a benefit) it is worth it...

LouieB

#50 LouieB

LouieB

On & On & On

• 19,238 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:15 AM

I keep noticing that people are reading this thread, but not putting in any suggestions or questions. What's the deal. There is no way I can know all about Chicago. Someone else must have some info and opinions.....thanks.

LouieB

#51 PopTodd

PopTodd

On & On & On

• 10,454 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:23 AM

I think that I should add here that Oak Park is a pretty nifty little place just west of the city.
It was home to both Frank Lloyd Wright and Ernest Hemmingway, and there are plenty of things in that little town that should keep you busy for the day... Unity Temple (where I am now a member), Frank Lloyd Wright home & studio, and a couple of Papa's haunts. Also, the downtown area there has several good little restaurants.

Okay.
Thanks.

#52 ction

ction

On & On & On

• 9,562 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:17 AM

I'm arriving in the fine city of Chicago on Thursday, October 9. I'm pretty much counting on Louie being there at baggage claim and guiding me around town.

#53 bjorn_skurj

bjorn_skurj

On & On & On

• 19,999 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:16 PM

I think that I should add here that Oak Park is a pretty nifty little place just west of the city.
It was home to both Frank Lloyd Wright and Ernest Hemmingway, and there are plenty of things in that little town that should keep you busy for the day... Unity Temple (where I am now a member), Frank Lloyd Wright home & studio, and a couple of Papa's haunts. Also, the downtown area there has several good little restaurants.

Okay.
Thanks.

Oak Park is the one place I know a little something about in Chicago. It is pretty cool.

#54 LouieB

LouieB

On & On & On

• 19,238 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:18 AM

I'm arriving in the fine city of Chicago on Thursday, October 9. I'm pretty much counting on Louie being there at baggage claim and guiding me around town.

:lol :rock Probably not going to happen, but if I am at the Bottom Lounge, etc. (is 2 cow playing that weekend) a beer is forthcoming.

Excellent suggestion regarding Oak Park. Very cool place and plenty of tourist stuff and shopping out there. Not far from Fitzgerald's either.

LouieB

#55 ction

ction

On & On & On

• 9,562 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:54 AM

:lol :rock Probably not going to happen, but if I am at the Bottom Lounge, etc. (is 2 cow playing that weekend) a beer is forthcoming.

Excellent suggestion regarding Oak Park. Very cool place and plenty of tourist stuff and shopping out there. Not far from Fitzgerald's either.

LouieB

Two Cow Garage is playing with Drag the River on Saturday the...whatever that day is. I'll be the guy slow dancing with skyflynn...come say hi.

#56 LouieB

LouieB

On & On & On

• 19,238 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:02 PM

Two Cow Garage is playing with Drag the River on Saturday the...whatever that day is. I'll be the guy slow dancing with skyflynn...come say hi.

skyflynn is coming to Chicago?? :lol There will be a large VC contingent there.

LouieB

#57 BreezyGrass

BreezyGrass

Pop Quiz Kid

• PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:00 PM

I have to say as a new person to this board and a somewhat new person to Wilco - this is a godsend. For many years I have wanted to visit Chicago. Wilco really cemented this and now its no longer a want to but rather a when. My new bride doesn't understand the fixation, and sometimes I don't either, but it certainly is a place that draws. Kinda like Robert Hunter explaining the allure of England and then going over there with the Dead and writing three classic tunes (Brokedown Palace, and I forget the others). The ultimate would be to catch my first show of Wilco's there. I am on the lookout everyday.

The posts here make me want to book a flight now. Thanks for all the info. Printing it out and saving it. Thanks.

Matty

www.myspace.com/mattylyons1
www.myspace.com/breezygrass

#58 pureguava

pureguava

A Cherry Ghost

• 10 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

I was asked to start a thread after a small disagreement on yet another thread on what to do in Chicago.

Hi Lou (and everyone else!),
I'm new here and per LouieB's request, I'm posting the info on a nice little hotel in the Lake View section on the North Side of Chicago. It's called The Willows and it's at 555 W. Surf. It ain't cheap (although we did get a nice break on the price through priceline.com) but it is nice, clean, friendly, and in a killer location. It's about 2 blocks from the Days Inn on Diversey and a little over a mile from Wrigley. We were in town for the recent Hideout Block Party (a great time that I highly recommend). It was about a 20-minute car ride. And it was only about a 10-minute walk to the lake!

In any case Lou, it's too bad we didn't hook up last time but the next time Wilco plays Tanglewood let's meet!

-Glenn

#59 LouieB

LouieB

On & On & On

• 19,238 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

The posts here make me want to book a flight now. Thanks for all the info. Printing it out and saving it. Thanks.

Come on out....just move here..what the hell.... :thumbup

Hi Lou (and everyone else!),
I'm new here and per LouieB's request, I'm posting the info on a nice little hotel in the Lake View section on the North Side of Chicago. It's called The Willows and it's at 555 W. Surf.
In any case Lou, it's too bad we didn't hook up last time but the next time Wilco plays Tanglewood let's meet!

-Glenn

Glenn thanks for posting up. Long story about meetng up with some other folks from out east that I stayed with prior to the Tanglewood show from meeting on the sidewalk at the Residency. Who said the internet is a weird and dangerous place??? :lol

LouieB

#60 Analogman

Analogman

All the Way Back in the Seventies

• 46,032 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

Forbes: Chicago is America's most stressful city

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users