• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Vacant Horizon

Vacant Horizon

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

Indeed. Being in my 40s, I think his songs probably hit a bit closer to home than they would've 10 years ago.

The record with Desertshore and the one with Jimmy LaValle are both quite good, definitely worth getting. I need to give those another spin soon.

I really love the first Desertshore album. It's like an all instrumental RHP album. The Album Leaf collaboration is excellent. I was hesitant, but it really works. I don't think any of Lavelle's other work matches it except the tune Micro Melodies on the Moog soundtrack.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm really not that fond of the first three RHP records (1,2, colorful). There are some moments. I just don't care for that reverb, shoe gaze production. Not to mention Koz was still honing his style. May need to revisit those. Love Mistress, of course.

#62 GtrPlyr

GtrPlyr

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

I'll tell you one thing, I'm really not that fond of the first three RHP records (1,2, colorful). There are some moments. I just don't care for that reverb, shoe gaze production. Not to mention Koz was still honing his style. May need to revisit those. Love Mistress, of course.

I remember buying the RHP Rollercoaster CD back in the 90s, and digging its sad, autumnal vibe. Was particularly fond of Grace Cathedral Park and Katy Song. For some reason though, I never checked out Down Colorful Hill or the other self-titled record until many years later. At the time I was more enamored with the other San Francisco "sadcore" band, American Music Club. A few years later I did get back into them for a bit, buying Ocean Beach, then Old Ramon. Haven't listened to any of those records in a very long time. Curious to see how well they hold up.

I know what you mean regarding the reverb-y, shoegaze production. These days I tend to like less effects laden records; preferring ones were the natural sound of the instruments take precedence over the effects.

#63 Vacant Horizon

Vacant Horizon

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:33 PM

I remember buying the RHP Rollercoaster CD back in the 90s, and digging its sad, autumnal vibe. Was particularly fond of Grace Cathedral Park and Katy Song. For some reason though, I never checked out Down Colorful Hill or the other self-titled record until many years later. At the time I was more enamored with the other San Francisco "sadcore" band, American Music Club. A few years later I did get back into them for a bit, buying Ocean Beach, then Old Ramon. Haven't listened to any of those records in a very long time. Curious to see how well they hold up.

I know what you mean regarding the reverb-y, shoegaze production. These days I tend to like less effects laden records; preferring ones were the natural sound of the instruments take precedence over the effects.

Rollercoaster is the best of the 3 as far as I'm concerned.  Down Colorful Hill is very rough in the sense that Koz was learning his craft and finding his sound.  I think Blue Guitar, Ocean Beach and Old Ramon are incredible and definitely some of the best albums of the 90s.  I never got into American Music Club.  Need to check them out.  I just never like their promo pics, so I never listened…so stupid of me!

BTW, have you ever seen that On Tour documentary about Kozelek?

#64 GtrPlyr

GtrPlyr

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:04 PM

Rollercoaster is the best of the 3 as far as I'm concerned.  Down Colorful Hill is very rough in the sense that Koz was learning his craft and finding his sound.  I think Blue Guitar, Ocean Beach and Old Ramon are incredible and definitely some of the best albums of the 90s.  I never got into American Music Club.  Need to check them out.  I just never like their promo pics, so I never listened…so stupid of me!

BTW, have you ever seen that On Tour documentary about Kozelek?

American Music Club had some really great records during the late '80s, early '90s. Mercury, Everclear, United Kingdom, and San Francisco are all pretty solid. They were good with the dark, often sad, heart-on-sleeve type of songs. They were definitely mining similar territory to Red House Painters.

I watched that documentary a while back. I thought it was okay, but probably something only a fan would want to watch. Travelogue documentaries don't always have enough content for my tastes, though I do enjoy the fly-on-the-wall stuff. I guess I would've preferred something that showed him recording in the studio, discussing how he goes about writing songs, that sort of thing. Nevertheless it had its moments. Hopefully he does another one soon.

#65 Vacant Horizon

Vacant Horizon

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the American Music Club recs. I was not aware that they started in the 80s.

I haven't seen the doc. You basically have to buy it to watch it. I'd enjoy seeing his commentary of touring. Probably some funny stuff. Definitely would love to some recording/artistic process footage. Definitely now since it's all so stream of thought.

One thing I'll never get about him is that he can make these pristine, beautiful albums but then be so hit and miss/lazy in the live setting. He really should be a curated act playing theaters with a full band and a more professional demeanor. Only places I've seen him are shitty rock venues.

#66 Vacant Horizon

Vacant Horizon

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:25 AM

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/jesuskm.html

Sun Kil Moon and Jesu.  Very interesting album with some shoe gaze background music and Mark doing his rap thing...even some spoken word.  Koz is just on a tear the last few years.  He put out another SKM album and is constantly putting out these random EPs with covers and originals.  

#67 Oil Can Boyd

Oil Can Boyd

Outtasite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

Very funny parody of recent Kozelek (including the song I Watched the Movie Revenant with Leo DiCaprio):

http://sunkilmoonalb...nder-the-canopy

#68 Vacant Horizon

Vacant Horizon

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:19 PM

Very funny parody of recent Kozelek (including the song I Watched the Movie Revenant with Leo DiCaprio):

http://sunkilmoonalb...nder-the-canopy

It's hard to tell if this dude is joking or not.  It's really good.  The photo for the album cover is a little too bright and clear for Koz ;-)

#69 tinnitus photography

tinnitus photography

On & On & On

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,654 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:43 PM

holy shit:

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/hesbad/

#70 Oil Can Boyd

Oil Can Boyd

Outtasite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:10 PM

Yup.  I've stuck with Kozelek for a while but I think he's lost me ...

#71 Oil Can Boyd

Oil Can Boyd

Outtasite

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:47 AM

I've lost interest in Kozelek's music a while ago - and he seemed pretty unpleasant - but he's a fucking creep. 

https://pitchfork.co...by-three-women/

#72 KevinG

KevinG

More Like the Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:19 PM

I just do not get the stream of consciousness / straight up narration that his music has become.  It would be one thing if it was interesting or was trying to say something, but damn this just stupid.  

#73 TCP

TCP

I Must Be high

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:28 PM

This kind of reminds me of the Ryan Adams situation. The guy was always clearly a jerk and it's not much of a shock to learn he's a god damn creep/abuser/etc. I'll be happy if this is the last we hear of him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users