• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pre-ordered the album through Caldo Verde and it arrived a couple of weeks ago.

It does not really break any new ground for him but it's definitely got some good stuff on it.

It also came with a free CD called Live at Lincoln Hall, which is pretty good. Again, not groundbreaking, particularly if you have any of the other live CDs Caldo Verde has issued in the past few years, but it's enjoyable.

"MK: I don't make demos. I don't have the interest or the energy or the time. Demos are something you do in the early stages of your career, but when you get going, you just go in and record the song."

I wonder if that's the reason there are no demos of AGIB, WTA and The Whole Love

http://consequenceof...ong-the-leaves/

"For lack of a more coherent assessment, not knowing how I feel about it actually IS how I feel about it."

http://stereogum.com/1045732/album-of-the-week-sun-kil-moon-among-the-leaves/top-stories/lead-story/

"Every time I hear one of those songs, I get a little stomach twinge of annoyance, but that comes along with a sort of admiration. Plenty of songwriters probably think the way Kozelek does, but the man deserves credit for leaving it all out in the open, watering down none of it, making no attempt to make himself seem likable. And he’s also really, really good at this sort of thing."

• 1 year later...

I haven't hear Kozelek's new record yet but saw this quote on Pitchfork as part  of their review:

They also tease out and amplify his sharp sense of humor, which can often get lost in his deadpan delivery. “I can play like Fripp or Johnny Marr, and I can play circles ‘round Jay Farrar,” he boasts or possibly just daydreams on “Livingstone Bramble”, and when he claims, “I hate Nels Cline,” Carney inserts some scribbles and skreeks behind him, suggesting a very sly parody of Wilco’s artsy noise. It’s one of the album’s best moments-- and also its funniest.

• 2 years later...

Sorry if there was a better thread to revive than this.  

Anyway, I can't keep up with Koz over the last few years.  He's been putting out music left and right…aside from his other antics.  Looks like he's putting out an album with Jesu in February.  Track in link below.  He also has a new EP on the way as well as a spoken word album.  I'm really relating to his new stream of consciousness lyrical form.  He's made some good points about getting older and losing metaphors for shit that happens in life.  I still need to get that disc he did with Album Leaf!

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/kozelekdillinger/

I'm really relating to his new stream of consciousness lyrical form.

Me too. His songs of recent years have been dense with personal details and poignant storytelling. He's certainly one of the most compelling and interesting songwriters out there right now.

Me too. His songs of recent years have been dense with personal details and poignant storytelling. He's certainly one of the most compelling and interesting songwriters out there right now.

Yes, as I hit my 40s and realized how much time had passed from my idealist 20s, his songs just nailed me. We're mortals! Fuck! Case in point, I can't believe the dude is almost 50!

The other stuff I need to get is his work with Desertshore. Guitar player from RHP is in that band.

Yes, as I hit my 40s and realized how much time had passed from my idealist 20s, his songs just nailed me. We're mortals! Fuck! Case in point, I can't believe the dude is almost 50!

The other stuff I need to get is his work with Desertshore. Guitar player from RHP is in that band.

Indeed. Being in my 40s, I think his songs probably hit a bit closer to home than they would've 10 years ago.

The record with Desertshore and the one with Jimmy LaValle are both quite good, definitely worth getting. I need to give those another spin soon.

Indeed. Being in my 40s, I think his songs probably hit a bit closer to home than they would've 10 years ago.

The record with Desertshore and the one with Jimmy LaValle are both quite good, definitely worth getting. I need to give those another spin soon.

I really love the first Desertshore album. It's like an all instrumental RHP album. The Album Leaf collaboration is excellent. I was hesitant, but it really works. I don't think any of Lavelle's other work matches it except the tune Micro Melodies on the Moog soundtrack.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm really not that fond of the first three RHP records (1,2, colorful). There are some moments. I just don't care for that reverb, shoe gaze production. Not to mention Koz was still honing his style. May need to revisit those. Love Mistress, of course.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm really not that fond of the first three RHP records (1,2, colorful). There are some moments. I just don't care for that reverb, shoe gaze production. Not to mention Koz was still honing his style. May need to revisit those. Love Mistress, of course.

I remember buying the RHP Rollercoaster CD back in the 90s, and digging its sad, autumnal vibe. Was particularly fond of Grace Cathedral Park and Katy Song. For some reason though, I never checked out Down Colorful Hill or the other self-titled record until many years later. At the time I was more enamored with the other San Francisco "sadcore" band, American Music Club. A few years later I did get back into them for a bit, buying Ocean Beach, then Old Ramon. Haven't listened to any of those records in a very long time. Curious to see how well they hold up.

I know what you mean regarding the reverb-y, shoegaze production. These days I tend to like less effects laden records; preferring ones were the natural sound of the instruments take precedence over the effects.

I remember buying the RHP Rollercoaster CD back in the 90s, and digging its sad, autumnal vibe. Was particularly fond of Grace Cathedral Park and Katy Song. For some reason though, I never checked out Down Colorful Hill or the other self-titled record until many years later. At the time I was more enamored with the other San Francisco "sadcore" band, American Music Club. A few years later I did get back into them for a bit, buying Ocean Beach, then Old Ramon. Haven't listened to any of those records in a very long time. Curious to see how well they hold up.

I know what you mean regarding the reverb-y, shoegaze production. These days I tend to like less effects laden records; preferring ones were the natural sound of the instruments take precedence over the effects.

Rollercoaster is the best of the 3 as far as I'm concerned.  Down Colorful Hill is very rough in the sense that Koz was learning his craft and finding his sound.  I think Blue Guitar, Ocean Beach and Old Ramon are incredible and definitely some of the best albums of the 90s.  I never got into American Music Club.  Need to check them out.  I just never like their promo pics, so I never listened…so stupid of me!

BTW, have you ever seen that On Tour documentary about Kozelek?

Rollercoaster is the best of the 3 as far as I'm concerned.  Down Colorful Hill is very rough in the sense that Koz was learning his craft and finding his sound.  I think Blue Guitar, Ocean Beach and Old Ramon are incredible and definitely some of the best albums of the 90s.  I never got into American Music Club.  Need to check them out.  I just never like their promo pics, so I never listened…so stupid of me!

BTW, have you ever seen that On Tour documentary about Kozelek?

American Music Club had some really great records during the late '80s, early '90s. Mercury, Everclear, United Kingdom, and San Francisco are all pretty solid. They were good with the dark, often sad, heart-on-sleeve type of songs. They were definitely mining similar territory to Red House Painters.

I watched that documentary a while back. I thought it was okay, but probably something only a fan would want to watch. Travelogue documentaries don't always have enough content for my tastes, though I do enjoy the fly-on-the-wall stuff. I guess I would've preferred something that showed him recording in the studio, discussing how he goes about writing songs, that sort of thing. Nevertheless it had its moments. Hopefully he does another one soon.

Thanks for the American Music Club recs. I was not aware that they started in the 80s.

I haven't seen the doc. You basically have to buy it to watch it. I'd enjoy seeing his commentary of touring. Probably some funny stuff. Definitely would love to some recording/artistic process footage. Definitely now since it's all so stream of thought.

One thing I'll never get about him is that he can make these pristine, beautiful albums but then be so hit and miss/lazy in the live setting. He really should be a curated act playing theaters with a full band and a more professional demeanor. Only places I've seen him are shitty rock venues.

• 4 months later...

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/jesuskm.html

Sun Kil Moon and Jesu.  Very interesting album with some shoe gaze background music and Mark doing his rap thing...even some spoken word.  Koz is just on a tear the last few years.  He put out another SKM album and is constantly putting out these random EPs with covers and originals.  

Very funny parody of recent Kozelek (including the song I Watched the Movie Revenant with Leo DiCaprio):

http://sunkilmoonalbum8.bandcamp.com/album/under-the-canopy

It's hard to tell if this dude is joking or not.  It's really good.  The photo for the album cover is a little too bright and clear for Koz ;-)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

This kind of reminds me of the Ryan Adams situation. The guy was always clearly a jerk and it's not much of a shock to learn he's a god damn creep/abuser/etc. I'll be happy if this is the last we hear of him.