Wow, a liver transplant is really serious business. I'm very sad to read this news about one of my big musical favorites, for a long time--though, I agree, not anything too recent. I hope he recovers as much as possible.

Laurie Anderson is certainly not afraid to make some provocative remarks about hospitals, technology and Lou's general prognosis, either.

It's a bit amazing to me that of all the toxins that coursed through that man's body.  In the end, it was the music from Lulu that sent his liver over the edge.  I wish him all the best.  The entire VU catalog and New York are still in heavy rotation.  The politics of NY are dated now, but the music is still awesome.  Incredible guitar sound.

I wonder if he was at the Cleveland Clinic?  (Just down the street from La Cave where there VU used to play a lot.)

Hospitals are dysfunctional, but you can't really do without them if you need something as serious as this.  Everyone is getting old I guess. Hope he recovers.

LouieB

• 7 years later...

https://pitchfork.com/news/lou-reed-new-york-reissue-announced/

Rhino has announced a reissue of Lou Reed’s 1989 album, New York. The 3xCD/DVD/2xLP deluxe edition arrives September 25.

New York: Deluxe Edition features the first-ever remastered recordings of the album, 26 unreleased studio and live tracks, and a DVD of the long out-of-print “The New York Album” concert film, which features Reed performing the album in Montreal at the Theatre St. Denis. The reissue also includes a hardcover book produced by Laurie Anderson, Don Fleming, Bill Ingot, Jason Stern, and the late Hal Willner, with new liner notes by music journalist David Fricke and essays by archivist Don Fleming.

The Grammy-nominated New York, Reed’s 15th solo album and first for Sire Records, featured the singles “Dirty Blvd.” and “Busload of Faith.” Read the Pitchfork feature “These Are the Best Lou Reed Books.”

a DVD of the long out-of-print “The New York Album” concert film, which features Reed performing the album in Montreal at the Theatre St. Denis. 

This concert film, in its entirety, took up an hour or so of my first experience taking acid.  

Not a particularly good concert film for that.  

Would be very interesting to see again now, 30+ years later.   I recall he had the bald drummer from AC/DC in his band, which was a bit of overkill.  His songs don't really require that level of beastly pummeling. 

This concert film, in its entirety, took up an hour or so of my first experience taking acid.  

Not a particularly good concert film for that.  

Would be very interesting to see again now, 30+ years later.   I recall he had the bald drummer from AC/DC in his band, which was a bit of overkill.  His songs don't really require that level of beastly pummeling. 

I think you are thinking Chris Slade who played with AC/DC -- I don't think Slade ever played with Reed, though.

From what read, Robert Medici played drums on the New York tour. The only picture I can find is not very good.

robertmedici.jpg

I wonder if the below is what will be released on the DVD -

Lou Reed - New York Album - live on TV 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JevqIVGPR1A

I think you are thinking Chris Slade who played with AC/DC -- I don't think Slade ever played with Reed, though.

From what read, Robert Medici played drums on the New York tour. The only picture I can find is not very good.

robertmedici.jpg

I wonder if the below is what will be released on the DVD -

Lou Reed - New York Album - live on TV 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JevqIVGPR1A

Well, that's interesting to know.  He looks just like Chris Slade when you're six hours into an acid trip.

That's definitely not the New York promo video I saw.  The one I saw was more sparse.  Filmed on what looked like a soundstage.  No concert production or lighting.  So no frills it was almost black and white.   

But again, the acid, so who knows.  

So now I found another link of the above link that I posted and it lists the show as "Lou Reed performing live at the Théâtre St-Denis in Montreal, Canada on the 13th of August 1989."

You didn't happen to keep a 'sonic journal' (a la Bear) and jot down the date of the Lou Reed show that you saw on on your 1st trip? It would be a bit funny if you watched it a black and white TV, all along. My TV in the 1st half of the 90's was an old black and white, which I got poked fun at for. Even had tin-foiled rabbit ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUiDLepxgvI

So now I found another link of the above link that I posted and it lists the show as "Lou Reed performing live at the Théâtre St-Denis in Montreal, Canada on the 13th of August 1989."

You didn't happen to keep a 'sonic journal' (a la Bear) and jot down the date of the Lou Reed show that you saw on on your 1st trip? It would be a bit funny if you watched it a black and white TV, all along. My TV in the 1st half of the 90's was an old black and white, which I got poked fun at for. Even had tin-foiled rabbit ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUiDLepxgvI

I guess anything's possible, but I know the person whose TV I was watching it on had a 4 head VCR, which was high end at the time (I remember that because he advised me to insist on 4-head when I was in the market for a VCR), so it'd be weird if it were a B&W TV.

I suppose that could be the same video I saw, but I remember it way differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that's interesting to know.  He looks just like Chris Slade when you're six hours into an acid trip.

That's definitely not the New York promo video I saw.  The one I saw was more sparse.  Filmed on what looked like a soundstage.  No concert production or lighting.  So no frills it was almost black and white.   

But again, the acid, so who knows.  

This had me laughing.