• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent, excellent book that I dig into frequently.

I bought it years ago but have only read about five stories. Yesterday I started from the beginning and am reading it straight through - some two or three times. The Turkey is awesome (always skipped that just because of the title)! I also really like The Crop. What are your favorite stories (outside of the obvious "A Good Man Is Hard To Find?")

I agree 100%. I love "Somehow Form a Family" and his fiction is wonderful as well. :yes

I'm reading this right now (also by a Southern writer!)

10235483.jpg

Ever see the movie?

I bought it years ago but have only read about five stories. Yesterday I started from the beginning and am reading it straight through - some two or three times. The Turkey is awesome (always skipped that just because of the title)! I also really like The Crop. What are your favorite stories (outside of the obvious "A Good Man Is Hard To Find?")

The Crop.

Revelation.

The Artificial Nigger.

The Misfit.

ed. My all-time favorite short by her is "Where are you going, Where have you been." Dedicated to "Bob Dylan." Do you know which tune she based it on?

Edited by Lammycat
The Crop.

Revelation.

The Artificial Nigger.

The Misfit.

ed. My all-time favorite short by her is "Where are you going, Where have you been." Dedicated to "Bob Dylan." Do you know which tune she based it on?

I read about 200 pages last night, and I think The River is the best so far. Can you recommend other writers like her? I'm so drawn into these stories, I look at the clock and think, "it's 2 am, I should go to sleep...just one more story first..." :lol

Is "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been" based on Hard Rain's Gonna Fall? That's the first song that came to mind, and I can picture her writing it perfectly.

I read about 200 pages last night, and I think The River is the best so far. Can you recommend other writers like her? I'm so drawn into these stories, I look at the clock and think, "it's 2 am, I should go to sleep...just one more story first..." :lol

Is "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been" based on Hard Rain's Gonna Fall? That's the first song that came to mind, and I can picture her writing it perfectly.

Another southern writer I really enjoy is Larry Brown (from Oxford, Miss.). Although he does write short stories, I enjoy his novels; he's got a knack for depicting the seemier side of life in a compelling way. I'd recommend both The Rabbit Factory, and Fay.

Where Are You Going....is loosely based on "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue." The Arnold Friend character is based on a real-life creep, too.

Edited by Lammycat

n155179.jpg

The perfect way to spend a long weekend.

I splurged on a hardcover copy so that I can get him to sign it when he does an in-store in Vancouver next month. :wub

What's that about? Seems like I've read a good review somewhere.

It's about a woman's near-death experience. Actually, it should be called a death experience, because she did actually die and came back to life. I haven't finished it yet, but so far so good. I am a believer in the afterlife.

It's about a woman's near-death experience. Actually, it should be called a death experience, because she did actually die and came back to life. I haven't finished it yet, but so far so good. I am a believer in the afterlife.

I read that a long time ago. I really enjoyed it.