I'm very slowly going back and hitting some classics that I somehow managed to miss during high school/college. The Grapes of Wrath is up now. Up next, Slaughterhouse Five. At my current pace I should be able to finish them by the time I go back to work... in September... of 2007.

I've been doing the same thing. I've got Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow on deck.

Edited by Lammycat
  • Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yay, i finally got to read some over my vacation and got through:

the curious incident of the dog in the night-time-mark haddon

still life with woodpecker-tom robbins (weird, but awesome awesome book)

dress your family in corduroy and denim- david sedaris

children playing before a statue of hercules- short stories compiled by david sedaris

the rum diaries- hunter s. thompson

it was a very good run of books and i loved all of them, all very much recommended

the curious incident of the dog in the night-time-mark haddon

I read this in about 4 hours one evening last month. Loved it. I think I'm going to make my 9th graders read it as outside reading this next year.

Just finished The World According to Garp, John Irving.

Starting The Master Butchers Singing Club, Lousie Erdrich and a Dave Eggers collection on deck.

:)

I read this in about 4 hours one evening last month. Loved it. I think I'm going to make my 9th graders read it as outside reading this next year.

yeah i think i got it done in like 6 hours haha, it was a quick, fun read in my opinion. i think it's interesting enough for a 9th grader (coming from me, who is 16), especially with the format of the whole thing, it's not set up like a typical novel obviously. my sister's in 9th grade and i'm making her read it haha.

NR:

Franz Kafka-the metamorphosis, in the penal colony, and other short stories. had this one for a while, never got around to it.

yeah i think i got it done in like 6 hours haha, it was a quick, fun read in my opinion.

I started that one last night. Sounds like I could finish it today, hah?

i think it's interesting enough for a 9th grader (coming from me, who is 16), especially with the format of the whole thing, it's not set up like a typical novel obviously. my sister's in 9th grade and i'm making her read it haha.

Let me know how she likes it. It's always good to have a test audience. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
46.jpg

:wub

I can't put this down. I wish I had read it before seeing the movie, but I'm still loving it. Is it wrong for me to want to highlight a hell of a lot of what he says? :blush

That is a great book. I read it when it came out and was iffy about the movie at first seeing as a lot of the little quirks in the book are so British. I didn't know if it would translate well. Though I have come to really love the movie.

Amazing! This is the third time I've read it, and it just gets more interesting every time.

Oh, I've been meaning to read that one for years, but still haven't picked it up! I really wish that I hadn't just this second come back from the book store. :ermm