a%20million%20little%20pieces.jpg

i know i'm late to this boat, but i never planned on reading it... but we're reading it for my creative nonfiction writing class so that we can talk about the boundaries of nonfiction

Regardless of the genre label placed upon this book, there is a great deal of truth to be found here.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the genre label placed upon this book, there is a great deal of truth to be found here.

it's not the best writing in the world, but honestly it kinda freaks me out how much of the book i can relate to... which i think freaks out my classmates even more during our discussions

Rereading some disturbing favorites lately, and what could be better than that?

Exposure by Kathryn Harrison

Fermata by Nicholson Baker

Vox by Nicholson Baker

on deck:

Hollywood by Charles Bukowski

The Known World by Edward Jones

0399152318.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Very light read, thematic coming of age story about an eccentric girl and a reserved young man. Contains references to the Conet project, short wave transmissions and there's two eclectic mix tapes incorporated in the narrative. Neat little read I knocked out in two evenings.

Fargo Rock City is still his best work, but i've liked them all.

The new book is the first of his that I've read but I've wanted to pick up FRC for a while. He going to be at the local Borders in a few weeks so I'll go the next day to see if they have any signed copies of FRC leftover.

1/3 of the way through A Decade of Curious People and I really like it.

Just finished:

So This is Love Lollipop and Other Stories by Gilbert Reid

it was pretty good. I liked almost all of the stories contained within, which is more than I can say for a lot of story collections.

on deck:

Family and Other Accidents by Shari Goldhagen

acc.jpg

Booked the author for a concert and bought a copy of his book last night. Funny godamn jew.

INTRODUCTION BY AUTHOR

What This Booklet Can Do For You

When I began playing the accordion in public, interviewers would ask me

a%20million%20little%20pieces.jpg

i know i'm late to this boat, but i never planned on reading it... but we're reading it for my creative nonfiction writing class so that we can talk about the boundaries of nonfiction

Under a tentative legal settlement, readers who said they were defrauded by Frey's best seller, "A Million Little Pieces," can claim refunds, an agreement called unprecedented -- and understandable -- by a leading publishing attorney.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/09/0...t.ap/index.html

:glare

A buddy who used to own a bookstore sent this to me a while back kind of as a joke, as I used to have a thing for Don Knotts. I started reading it last night. Not a bad read, actually, as far as light and fluffy goes:

guide_cover.jpg

Just finished:

Michael Chabon - Wonder Boys

I was a little let down by this. I had heard so much good stuff and loved the movie. It was good but just not something that the book was that much better than the movie. I hate reading stuff that I've already seen the movie though.

I just finished reading this too after seeing, and loving, the film a while back. I felt the opposite though; the book gave a much greater insight into the characters (as books usually do) and Chabon's writing style was a pleasure, just as it was with Kavalier & Clay. One of the best cast films of recent years for sure.

Currently reading:

0863697658.01._SS500_SCMZZZZZZZ_V1056501497_.jpg

I haven't been reading nearly enough lately. Next up might be something by Jonathan Safran Foer.

The-Phantom_Tollbooth-HB.jpg

Every year since about 5th grade, I've read this book the day before school starts. I guess it's my own way of making sure I don't grow up too fast, or something.

Plus, this is probably the most imaginative book ever written, and it makes me feel all sorts of happy inside.

I picked this up at the library today. I used my kids to disguise the fact that I was checking out a kids book for myself. :lol

west_jesus_cropped.jpg

This guy's writing is turning me on so hard, to paraphrase J. G. Ballard, I want to fuck his words.

Also, after many recommendations from this board, (including admitted Chabon addict, ms yvon) next up: Wonder Boys.

west_jesus_cropped.jpg

This guy's writing is turning me on so hard, to paraphrase J. G. Ballard, I want to fuck his words.

Um, wow. :hmm

I've got to read this, I guess. And if I may say so, this is a dream review for any writer!

The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis. Good story, quick read. It probably helps if you know something about chess. I don't and still enjoyed it.